Home

Advanced Stats

This is a discussion on Advanced Stats within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #25
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Advanced Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yeah Boog, it's $0.99 in the PSN Store. I didn't see a place in-game to buy it.

I too hope they include some of the more commonly used ones in the future. I wonder if it's because the game doesn't track the data necessary to calculate them. I read up on that stuff, but I'm hardly a mathematician, so I don't know what they need for WAR, FIP, wOBA, etc. At least it's a step in the right direction for us stats junkies.
If you go into the Sports Connect, you can purchase it through there, and it will pop of the store checkout.

I am not sure, but are those stats "owned" by someone who came up with them, as in requiring a license?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #26
Pro

etched Chaos's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
If you go into the Sports Connect, you can purchase it through there, and it will pop of the store checkout.

I am not sure, but are those stats "owned" by someone who came up with them, as in requiring a license?
WAR is on both baseball-reference and fangraphs, so not sure there's a purchasing problem. A it is HEQ isn't a Show exclusive sabre stat either, it was coined in the late 90's and was named after the guy.

I just feel they dropped the ball somewhat with their selection, I love ISO, RC and RF, but the rest just seem bleh, especially when the sabre crowd have settled on OPS+, ERA+, and WAR as the big sabre stats.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #27
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
WAR is on both baseball-reference and fangraphs, so not sure there's a purchasing problem. A it is HEQ isn't a Show exclusive sabre stat either, it was coined in the late 90's and was named after the guy.

I just feel they dropped the ball somewhat with their selection, I love ISO, RC and RF, but the rest just seem bleh, especially when the sabre crowd have settled on OPS+, ERA+, and WAR as the big sabre stats.
Gotcha! Thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #28
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Yeah Boog, it's $0.99 in the PSN Store. I didn't see a place in-game to buy it.

I too hope they include some of the more commonly used ones in the future. I wonder if it's because the game doesn't track the data necessary to calculate them. I read up on that stuff, but I'm hardly a mathematician, so I don't know what they need for WAR, FIP, wOBA, etc. At least it's a step in the right direction for us stats junkies.
From the main menu, if you hit select and then go to the dollar sign symbol, you can buy it there.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by etched Chaos
especially when the sabre crowd have settled on OPS+, ERA+, and WAR as the big sabre stats.
OPS+ and ERA+ aren't exactly very good either. OPS (and it's derivatives) don't balance slugging and OBP appropriately. ERA+ is still defence dependent and thus is pretty subpar. wOBA, FIP and xFIP are far, far superior metrics.

None of the aforementioned stats are proprietary and can be readily used. They have all the means necessary to calculate them.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxage
OPS+ and ERA+ aren't exactly very good either. OPS (and it's derivatives) don't balance slugging and OBP appropriately. ERA+ is still defence dependent and thus is pretty subpar. wOBA, FIP and xFIP are far, far superior metrics.

None of the aforementioned stats are proprietary and can be readily used. They have all the means necessary to calculate them.
Everything he just said^.

Can anyone confirm that Batting Runs in the game refers to Adjusted Batting Runs or something like it? If so, that's a decent enough substitute for wOBA.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 46

i hope some of these stats make it to the batter walk ups next year!

everyones head would spin. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #32
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

i just purchased the stats and the $20 Mil additional funds for franchise... but how do you know if they are loaded or not once you buy them?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »