Home

Advanced Stats

This is a discussion on Advanced Stats within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:24 AM   #33
MVP

OVR: 46
Re: Advanced Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
i just purchased the stats and the $20 Mil additional funds for franchise... but how do you know if they are loaded or not once you buy them?

as far as the advanced stats, they show up as part of the player baseball card.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:38 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

The fact that you had to buy these is just...cheap on Sony's part.

They're not even good stats to begin with.

If any baseball video game were to incorporate advanced stats - it would be dead on accurate.

Imagine fielding metrics - like UZR or DRS, they don't have precise recorded data - they have people at the games plotting the location of each ball in play, etc. In a video game, all of that is calculated as the ball is hit, so all of that data is already available, like hit speed, hit trajectory, hit location.

The algorithm to write that won't be too hard, although I doubt anybody would go and bother Mitchell Litchman for the UZR formula. But it's just a thought.

Last edited by ImBaconBeckham; 03-11-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #35
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Seamer
Also, it brings warmth to my cold calculating heart to see a few other baseball stat-lovers here on OS. It's one thing to love the game as well all do, and yet another still to be able to appreciate the pure mathematical beauty inherent in it.
I would have loved to see BABIP too, but oh well. I was once talking about sabremetrics in baseball and trying to explain them to a few people, and I had a Star Trek enthusiast call me a nerd. I don't know how I should feel about this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #36
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
RC - Runs Created
ISO Pwr - isolated power
Sec Avg - secondary average
AB/HR
BB/PA
BB/K
BOP - base out percentage
Bat Runs - batting runs (?)
T Avg - total average
POP - productive out percentage (?)
SLOB - slugging times on base
TPQ - total power quotient
HEQ-Q - Hoban effectiveness quotient for offense
Pwr Spd - power speed number (?)
Pwr Fact - power factor
Pwr Avg - power average
BSR - base runs
RF - range factor
The stats are in the statistics menu option as well. There are advanced stats for pitchers, but no pitch counts. I wil have to check again when I can, but there might be additonal advanced batter stats in the statistics menu that are not on the baseball card.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #37
ShowTime!

NAFBUC's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Most of these stats can be computed from the standard stats already implemented in the game I suppose. So if you are a stat nerd (like myself) who keeps numbers in spreadsheets, there isn't much additional value to this add-on.

I sure hope the Show pays more attention to career stats! Nothing more satisfying than looking at how they change over a player's career. Baseball numbers are beautiful. Think about how that goes with the beautiful visuals the Show is known for!

On the other hand, I also feel SCEA doesn't really wish to add too much replay value by adding this mode. They need to sell the Show every year, and if they make one nearly perfect game, who would be a repeat customer? I will be, but most won't...

Good post nomo. It is time for stats, which is baseballs blood, to get a massive infusion for the anemic numbers deficiency of The Show.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

i agree with the BABIP and FIP. Not sure how difficult those would have been to add in, but those two are pretty standard saber stats. I would have flipped to see those in there. The average fan is so far behind on sabermetrics anyway that I don't expect it for years.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAFBUC
Good post nomo. It is time for stats, which is baseballs blood, to get a massive infusion for the anemic numbers deficiency of The Show.

Man, i know.
We all asked for more stats last year in the wishlist threads, with this games modes and features all getting love in the past 3 years, its time for the lifeblood of baseball, stats, [along with announcing] to get a MAJOR, MAJOR facelift.
Please.

Charging for them aside, I still think any extra stats ar good stats.
Now they just need to be driven to the in-game part of things.

I would love during franchise to see, say in June with Brett Gardner on a hot streak, to have Karros start talking [complete with on screen overlay brought to you by baseball Prospectus] about Brett's stats during a recent homestand, or numbers since his injury.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #40
td7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Will these show up in Franchise mode for all the players in the game?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »