Home

MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #81
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

You have to approach it like you would in real life.

1. Be patient. Don't go up there looking to swing the bat more than twice. Take the first pitch 90% of the time, even when it's a strike.

2. Learn to recognize a hanging breaking ball. You'll likely see one per game and you must punish the pitcher for it. Half of my HR's are off a breaking pitch that the pitcher hung in the zone.

3. Learn to recognize the 12-6 curve. This is the #1 strike out pitch for the pitchers who have it in their arsenal. Watch for it with 2 strikes at the knees to the dirt.

4. Before each AB, pick your spot in the zone. Upper left/upper right/middle/lower left/lower right. Vary it during the game. Until you have 2 strikes, wait for a pitch in your spot. If the pitch isn't headed to that spot, don't swing. This will help build your ability to see pitches, draw walks, get solid swings, etc.

5. After each swing, look at the stats on it. Were you early? Late? Getting good contact? Adjust your timing.

6. Throughout the season, keep note of what pitches you're missing on. If you're coming up empty on changeups a lot, be aware the scouting report on you will detail this and you'll see more and more offspeed stuff. Always work on your weaknesses in this game.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #82
Pro

chinatownpwnage's Arena

OVR: 1

why should guess pitch not be used?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #83
Banned

dce21b's Arena

OVR: 2
It encourages bad habits basically. If your constantly guessing pitch type and location without being able to identify it on your own your more likely to be swinging at bad pitches just because it is what u guessed.

I know it can be hard but I think its probably under used is the recognition mode in BP. The idea is to only swing at fastballs. Try using it and be able to see what kinda pitch is coming right out of the pitchers hand.

What helps me is to say it upon release to myself. As soon as the pitcher releases the ball Identify it... Fastball.... Curve... Fastball... Slider...

Sometimes I just look at pitches and see how quickly I can identify them and where they will be without swinging.

Sent from my pimped out Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #84
Rookie

NelsonBis's Arena

OVR: 2

I only found out today that when using pure anolog hitting to push forward left or right depending on the pitch location (or straight if it's in the middle). Before I thought it was just a case of pushing the stick forward straight.

Like someone else who posted on this thread, I too am new to The Show and sorry if this is common knowledge.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #85
Pro

chinatownpwnage's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonBis
I only found out today that when using pure anolog hitting to push forward left or right depending on the pitch location (or straight if it's in the middle). Before I thought it was just a case of pushing the stick forward straight.

Like someone else who posted on this thread, I too am new to The Show and sorry if this is common knowledge.
oh wow i didnt know that either
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #86
Banned

OVR: 4

How does one edit say the camera view? I saw someone say they use catcher, then edited that. how do you edit that?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #87
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarice
It won't be relevant unless you're using zone analog, but something that helps me is beginning the AB w/ the left stick pressed 3/4 up. My brain must have some disconnect that does not allow it to hit pitches thrown high in the zone. My thumb always wants to jerk down (probably residual neuro-damage from striking out so many times on bottom zone fastballs in earlier Show iterations).

So starting 3/4 up allows me the leeway to recognize that high fastball that I would never reach had I started in the neutral position...and my reaction time to low balls is still good enough to get to the low fastballs.

My advice (for those using zones and especially if you're having consistent issues hitting a certain zone) is to experiment with initial left stick positions. One of the biggest benefits of starting with tension on the stick is that the spring mechanism returns you to neutral very quickly and precisely whereas beginning from neutral doesn't afford you any mechanical advantage or additional zone coverage.

I always do this, it's easier for me to follow the ball down than it is to go up and get it so to speak.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #88
Rookie

So it took me a full two iterations of the Show to teach myself how to lay off the offspeed stuff; especially changeups low in the zone. Curveballs I see very well now.

However, my new nemsis is the slower (<85mph) slider. I cannot hit this pitch for the life of me. I can lay off it reasonably well if it's up in the zone...but it rarely is. I am routinely eaten alive by sliders low and away in the zone. Usually, I'm very early because I'm swinging at fastball arm motion and the damn thing just looks like a fastball for 9/10ths of its flight path. Sometimes I swear the thing hits the glove just as fast as a fastball but it always tells me I'm early, even when I feel like I'm very late...and I often get the "pulled off" or whatever the hell it is for timing. Don't even understand that; if it wasn't a checked swing, how could I "pull off?"

So, any good tips for hitting the slider?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »