Home

MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: MLB 12 The Show - All Hitting Tips

I think guess pitch is a bad idea for hitting problems.. Any time I use it it throws me completely off.. I have been scoring runs lately and hope that any patch doesn't make hitting easier.. I will have to redo my settings!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
Rookie

shifty_b's Arena

OVR: 2

If you have time to practice a little then turning guess pitch off is the best thing you can do. It really helps you learn the strike zone and become a better hitter. Taking called strikes is another key. Even if you only swing at strikes you will sometimes be going after a "pitcher's pitch," usually resulting in a weak groundout/popout. Foul borderline pitches off with contact swing, and sometimes let the ball get deep into the zone before you swing (when you are trying to foul of pitches and not put them into play).
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #35
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I've had 3 hits (timing) in my first two season games on AS. These were two #1 pitchers I went up against and each pitched all 9 innings.. should I go down to Veteran for awhile? I almost feel bad for doing so since I pitch and play the field on AS.

I'm not striking out a ton, just hitting right to fielders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblight24
Am I missing something?

I use Timing, with Guess Pitch 1/4 and for a guy like McCann I'll guess Fastball/High and that's what the pitch is and I swing and it's a grounder to the 2B, I look at the Swing Information after the pitch and it says Perfect/Wheelhouse. To me that means it should be out in the right field stands, not a little nubber to the 2B. Is there something else I need to be doing when I swing?

FYI - I'm hitting on Veteran using CON/PWR/SOL of 4/5/6.
Welcome to the world of baseball. I'm certain that almost every major league baseball player would confirm that many times they make perfect contact on a ball in their wheelhouse and it's an out. They'd also tell you about the numerous times that they swung early or late and hit a ball off the end of the bat that found a hole for a base hit. I don't think the game would be very realistic if every time you hit Perfect/Wheelhouse it ended up in the stands. In my franchise i'm about 60 games in and my team batting average is .274. I think that's very realistic and accurate. I have a few guys hitting over .300 and a few guys struggling. To me that's the beauty of the game.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #37
Pro

letsgopens66's Arena

OVR: 4

My tips (I use TNK's sliders and just ousted Cliff Lee in the 5th after pouring on 7 runs. I don't use guess pitch or power swing)

1. Don't be afraid to take strikes. This is probably the most important tip in my opinion. If you don't swing at good pitches, you won't get hits. Not all strikes are good pitches to hit. If you can wait it out, odds are you'll get a good pitch to hit.

2. 2-0, 3-1, and 2-1 counts are your friend. Obviously these are hitters counts. And if you're not facing an ace, these counts will allow you to get fastballs that get a good part of the plate. If it's not the pitch you're looking for, it's much easier to take here.

3. During the game, find your weakness and address it. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a sucker for a big curve. I have a hard time laying off them. However, if I find that a pitcher is using that as their strikeout pitch, I now know what to expect on 0-2, 1-2, 2-2 counts. It's easier if you have an idea of what's coming.

4. Use contact swing to fight off two strike pitches. This ones pretty explanatory. I usually only use it for my weaker hitters on 2 strike counts. It really helps keep the at bat alive.
Denver Broncos
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 10

Great thread, thanks guys!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 4

Another thing I have been really trying to focus on is my timing. I typically swing WAY to early on any off-speed stuff. What I am learning is that I can foul off pretty much anything out of the strike zone if I have the time down. If my timing is off, however, I am striking out regardless of where the pitch is.

So, timing first and strike zone second.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

My issue right now is hitting everything at someone. I'm in my 3rd year on my RTTS SS (currently bouncing between AA & AAA). After hitting .333 last season, I am now hitting .078 after the first 3 weeks in the new season.

Yeah it sucks, makes the game painful.....I hit everything right on the nose, driving it hard. The problem is it is always at somebody. Infield, outfield, it is like there are 30 guys on defense. And this is on Rookie difficulty. Its like the game hates me all of a sudden.

Any tricks to alleviate this? It is impossible to meet achievement goals like collecting 36 bases & getting 12 RBIs when I can't hit to get on base. I'm still puzzled why they have me hitting lead off with a .078 avg.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »