Home

Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating

This is a discussion on Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating

Thanks man, that's exactly what I mentioned I haven't adjusted for. My main issue was with the starting pitchers having complete games all the time. As far as the bullpen, I would love to make those adjustments with OSFM comes out. I want to make it have some statistical foundation, so I'll play around with the formulas given the notion you stated. Stamina rating for CP/RP = number of pitches we'd expect them to throw. I still think their actual stamina rating should factor into this, so perhaps i'll create a separate formula based off that rating while attempting to get it closer to # of pitches thrown
Old 04-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #34
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

OVR: 20

Oldtimey bud... For us guys who play User vs CPU... These edits will still work with User SP stamina being at 4, correct?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:19 PM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
Oldtimey bud... For us guys who play User vs CPU... These edits will still work with User SP stamina being at 4, correct?
I don't know. I never play the cpu. But give it a go and let me know. But realize this: when you make these adjustments to your stamina ratings and put your starter stamina at 4, DO NOT expect your starter, ANY starter to be strong for 100 pitches and then start to decline. Now, he will pitch 100, 110, even 120 pitches, but he will stumble to those numbers. This means more contact, missed locations, loud fouls, etc., because your best pitchers will start tiring at 80-85 pitches. These adjustments are based on how the cpu manages its staff, so the AI already knows this. This is more realistic, in my opinion. The cpu will have the advantage if you are slow to warm up pitchers, for example. I don't know if you "human" players can take the intensity (lol!), but give it a try. It seems that it would create a bigger challenge for you as a pitching strategist and a manager/pitching coach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
If I may interject, the bullpen is a whole different animal. You can get realistic bullpen IP numbers if you use the stamina rating for your MRP/SU/CL as the maximum amount of pitches you would have him throw. With the reliever stamina slider at 0, he will not get close to this number usually, and he will pitch on consecutive days when he doesn't. So if you don't want your reliever to exceed 30 pitches during a single outing, then his stamina rating is 30. If you want him to throw no more than 25 pitches, then his stamina rating is 25. For my franchise, all of my relievers are between 28-35. Somewhere, maybe Fangraphs, or Baseball Reference, or perhaps Brooks Baseball, there is a record of pitches thrown per relief appearance. This should he your source for realistic pitcher-by-pitcher data. You will see the results when the cpu is using a reliever for a multiple inning outing. He may go 1.1, 1.2 or 2.0 IP, but the cpu will go the pen when his stamina rating (max number of pitches) is reached. If this happens, that reliever will usually get the next day off. But I have been surprised when the cpu brings the maxed out pitcher in the next game; but only to face one batter in a desparate situation (i.e., running out of pitchers).
I would still like to see a chart of bullpen usage stamina down to 20 based on inning.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsalx
I would still like to see a chart of bullpen usage stamina down to 20 based on inning.
I am not the chart guy. I give my bullpen guys ratings of 28-35 based more on my knowledge of how they are used by their teams than based on actual stats The range 28-35 keeps them at a max of 2 IP, if needed, but rarely do they pitch more. In season sims, most relievers will end up averaging around 1 IP/G or less and that is my goal.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #38
Rookie

When you say human starting pitcher slider is that up 4 fromzero setting or up four from default settings. I just played a play now game and set o'day stamina to "1" and threw 28 pitches before I got the tired warning and that was with sliders set from 0 to 4 up human starter stamina and slider bar set to 0 for human relief stamina.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #39
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
I don't know. I never play the cpu. But give it a go and let me know. But realize this: when you make these adjustments to your stamina ratings and put your starter stamina at 4, DO NOT expect your starter, ANY starter to be strong for 100 pitches and then start to decline. Now, he will pitch 100, 110, even 120 pitches, but he will stumble to those numbers. This means more contact, missed locations, loud fouls, etc., because your best pitchers will start tiring at 80-85 pitches. These adjustments are based on how the cpu manages its staff, so the AI already knows this. This is more realistic, in my opinion. The cpu will have the advantage if you are slow to warm up pitchers, for example. I don't know if you "human" players can take the intensity (lol!), but give it a try. It seems that it would create a bigger challenge for you as a pitching strategist and a manager/pitching coach.
Ok thanks bro!

I still plan on making the changes but I'll probably put User SP Stamina at 5 or 6... More likely 5.

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #40
SHOW TIME!!

The Kid 24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2728
When you say human starting pitcher slider is that up 4 fromzero setting or up four from default settings. I just played a play now game and set o'day stamina to "1" and threw 28 pitches before I got the tired warning and that was with sliders set from 0 to 4 up human starter stamina and slider bar set to 0 for human relief stamina.
He means from 0.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »