Home

Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating

This is a discussion on Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2016, 12:56 AM   #41
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Setting pitch count limits using pitcher stamina rating

Long time lurker of this site for OSFM and trade discussions but when I found this thread I finally needed to make an account. I think this is amazing and have been looking for a 'solution' to the complete game issue in franchise. Using OSFM 1.5 I went and altered the stam on all starting pitchers and only have 2 or 3 at 85 stam; Kershaw, Bum, someone else. A majority of starters are in the 70s with sliders set to 4 for starters and 0 for relievers and manager hook at 5. While in franchise I only play games for my main team, Yankees, but use 30 team control so I sim the other games for other teams. With that said I am still noticing a number of complete games, mainly shutouts. Does anyone know if the sliders work when simming games such as pitcher stam and manager hook? If so, what have others found using this method of lowering stam when it comes to complete games during the year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #42
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplefust
Long time lurker of this site for OSFM and trade discussions but when I found this thread I finally needed to make an account. I think this is amazing and have been looking for a 'solution' to the complete game issue in franchise. Using OSFM 1.5 I went and altered the stam on all starting pitchers and only have 2 or 3 at 85 stam; Kershaw, Bum, someone else. A majority of starters are in the 70s with sliders set to 4 for starters and 0 for relievers and manager hook at 5. While in franchise I only play games for my main team, Yankees, but use 30 team control so I sim the other games for other teams. With that said I am still noticing a number of complete games, mainly shutouts. Does anyone know if the sliders work when simming games such as pitcher stam and manager hook? If so, what have others found using this method of lowering stam when it comes to complete games during the year.
To a lot of ours' surprise, certain sliders do affect simulated games, especially the pitcher stamina and hook, and also injuries.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #43
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

Quote:
You need to lower starter stamina lower than 4 and probably bump the Hook slider up as well. To what exact values, I don't know. However, realize that in doing so you'll increase bullpen usage and have a considerable number of guys with 100+ innings/games out of the pen. I've tried tweaking all sorts of different variables and still haven't solved this issue. The CPU seems to value using their best rated relievers over resting their 'pen evenly. As an aside, in doing research on real life MLB bullpen usage, I was surprised to realize that, barring injuries, the 6 main relievers (i.e., excluding the long man) get roughly the same amount of innings. Anyway, I'm not sure that we can achieve a realistic balance in pitcher usage in The Show at this point, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:22 AM   #44
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
You need to lower starter stamina lower than 4 and probably bump the Hook slider up as well. To what exact values, I don't know. However, realize that in doing so you'll increase bullpen usage and have a considerable number of guys with 100+ innings/games out of the pen. I've tried tweaking all sorts of different variables and still haven't solved this issue. The CPU seems to value using their best rated relievers over resting their 'pen evenly. As an aside, in doing research on real life MLB bullpen usage, I was surprised to realize that, barring injuries, the 6 main relievers (i.e., excluding the long man) get roughly the same amount of innings. Anyway, I'm not sure that we can achieve a realistic balance in pitcher usage in The Show at this point, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Correct, the bullpen usage does seem to be base on overall which makes sense for a video game. My main concern, as pointed out in this thread, is the cpu sticking with starters deep into starts with supposedly high pitch counts. I can only presume high pitch counts since the games are simulated and I cannot view the pitch counts.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Correct, the bullpen usage does seem to be base on overall which makes sense for a video game. My main concern, as pointed out in this thread, is the cpu sticking with starters deep into starts with supposedly high pitch counts. I can only presume high pitch counts since the games are simulated and I cannot view the pitch counts.
With the guidelines and settings explained earlier in this thread, your pitching staff will achieve far more realistic pitching staff use over an MLB full season. Yes, you will experience a pitcher allowed to go 120+ pitches when: a.) when the starter has a no-hitter going; b.) when the starter has a shutout going and his team has a big lead, i.e. not a save situation; and c.) if the pitcher is dominating (10+ K's). With the current game engine, these times are when the cpu manager is attempting to rest his bullpen, so they are necessary. But pitching stamina is cumulative from start-to-start. If, for example, Kershaw shuts out Padres over 9 with 13 k's while throwing 122 pitches, he has given the bullpen a break. If the 5th starter had a lousy start where he couldn't go more than 3 IP, this would be welcome. Or if the game before Kershaw's went into extra innings. But, if there are no days off before Kershaw's next start, he will make that start with less than his max stamina. Then, you will see cpu Roberts bringing the hook out at the first sign of trouble in the sixth inning, especially if he is close to, at, or over 100 pitches. I know that many people who make these adjustments, then start a franchise freak out when they see early complete games with high pitch counts in April, but that is because when the teams break spring training; everyone is at maximum stamina. Then, the season starts and there are more off days than usual. The AI takes advantage of this and the starters, particularly the aces will go longer. I have experienced this in multiple seasons. But once the regular season gets it's rhythm and teams are practically playing everyday, you will see your franchise's starters close to IP and CG of the real MLB, and relievers will settle in to 1 IP or less per appearance. In my current franchise, at the beginning of May, Bumgarner, Wainwright, Greinke and Koehler(!) lead the NL in CG with 2. In the AL, it's Keuchel with 2. That seems like too many, but it's just the way the AI handles it's starters in April, taking advantage of starters going out there with maximum stamina. Your leaders at the end of the season will have 5 or 6 CG in both leagues. This is according to my personal history playing cpu-vs-cpu.

Here's the thing, bottomline: Stamina is the most valued attribute for a pitcher to the game AI.
Adjusting the stamina will adjust a pitcher's OVR more than any of his other attributes. In-game, the stamina ratings, out-of-box, do not represent true pitcher's fatigue. A pitcher with a 95 stamina rating will start to show definite signs of fatigue at 95 pitches, with the current game engine. If you are getting realistic pitch counts in your Show experience, 95-100 pitches is an average of 6 IP. This number of pitches is the end of the average pitcher's day in the real MLB. But in The Show, a 95 stamina rating means that, in the 6th, the starter is just starting to fatigue. When, realistically, he should already be out of the game. That's why I lowered the maximum stamina in my franchise to 85. That is the number of pitches that your ace will start to show signs of fatigue--80-85, not 95-99. I'm watching a real MLB game as I am writing this and I am seeing Lackey of the Cubs struggle out of a tough 6th inning against the Braves, pitch count 79. Scroll up in this thread for explanations of adjustments and slider settings.

Last edited by oldtimey; 05-01-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #46
Banned

thank you for this thread.
I am currently editing details to the 2001 roster by JohnEKool and waiting for the Hybrid Roster Set for 2016.

I use roster with default SCEA stamina values for SP/RP/CL for the most part.
I am known to jump into all 2,430 games at the 9th inning and correct the CG issue. I plan on now using sportscast manager, as one poster said that does work.

i currently have two set-up men and I am wrong to do that - as I will follow the directives of the *genius* in this thread and use only one man in that slot. My sim sliders for the default 2016 roster is as such:

*human/reliever stamina at 1

*manager hook at 6

*injury at 8

numbers are close to MLB standards. I do defer to the gentleman that started this thread - as his MLB virtues appear limitless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimey
With the guidelines and settings explained earlier in this thread, your pitching staff will achieve far more realistic pitching staff use over an MLB full season. Yes, you will experience a pitcher allowed to go 120+ pitches when: a.) when the starter has a no-hitter going; b.) when the starter has a shutout going and his team has a big lead, i.e. not a save situation; and c.) if the pitcher is dominating (10+ K's). With the current game engine, these times are when the cpu manager is attempting to rest his bullpen, so they are necessary. But pitching stamina is cumulative from start-to-start. If, for example, Kershaw shuts out Padres over 9 with 13 k's while throwing 122 pitches, he has given the bullpen a break. If the 5th starter had a lousy start where he couldn't go more than 3 IP, this would be welcome. Or if the game before Kershaw's went into extra innings. But, if there are no days off before Kershaw's next start, he will make that start with less than his max stamina. Then, you will see cpu Roberts bringing the hook out at the first sign of trouble in the sixth inning, especially if he is close to, at, or over 100 pitches. I know that many people who make these adjustments, then start a franchise freak out when they see early complete games with high pitch counts in April, but that is because when the teams break spring training; everyone is at maximum stamina. Then, the season starts and there are more off days than usual. The AI takes advantage of this and the starters, particularly the aces will go longer. I have experienced this in multiple seasons. But once the regular season gets it's rhythm and teams are practically playing everyday, you will see your franchise's starters close to IP and CG of the real MLB, and relievers will settle in to 1 IP or less per appearance. In my current franchise, at the beginning of May, Bumgarner, Wainwright, Greinke and Koehler(!) lead the NL in CG with 2. In the AL, it's Keuchel with 2. That seems like too many, but it's just the way the AI handles it's starters in April, taking advantage of starters going out there with maximum stamina. Your leaders at the end of the season will have 5 or 6 CG in both leagues. This is according to my personal history playing cpu-vs-cpu.

Here's the thing, bottomline: Stamina is the most valued attribute for a pitcher to the game AI.
Adjusting the stamina will adjust a pitcher's OVR more than any of his other attributes. In-game, the stamina ratings, out-of-box, do not represent true pitcher's fatigue. A pitcher with a 95 stamina rating will start to show definite signs of fatigue at 95 pitches, with the current game engine. If you are getting realistic pitch counts in your Show experience, 95-100 pitches is an average of 6 IP. This number of pitches is the end of the average pitcher's day in the real MLB. But in The Show, a 95 stamina rating means that, in the 6th, the starter is just starting to fatigue. When, realistically, he should already be out of the game. That's why I lowered the maximum stamina in my franchise to 85. That is the number of pitches that your ace will start to show signs of fatigue--80-85, not 95-99. I'm watching a real MLB game as I am writing this and I am seeing Lackey of the Cubs struggle out of a tough 6th inning against the Braves, pitch count 79. Scroll up in this thread for explanations of adjustments and slider settings.

I have found another nugget. If you do all oldtimey has said, and also set the 4th MRP in your rotation as a SP, labeled as a SP and with 60+ stamina - then you will see almost perfect RP G?IP ratios.

You will also need proper quick sim sliders (which I am working on) and you will need to edit Starters, Relievers, and Closers a bit. This will provide correct offensive RPG to reflect current MLB reality.

I have the details outlined and if any one is interested, please let me know and I will share.

thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #48
Just started!

Bumping this topic. Has anyone fooled around with sims in Franchise yet and pitcher stamina? Haven't been able to play the game much so just wondering.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »