Home

Proportional contracts

This is a discussion on Proportional contracts within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:19 PM   #1
Rookie

DanH35's Arena

OVR: 2
Proportional contracts

I know that having real-life contracts messes up payrolls in franchise. Has anybody tested having proportional contracts in franchise? What I mean is looking at a player's real-life contract relative to the team's real-life payroll, then taking that ratio and putting the player's contract in line with the team payroll in game. I don't want to guarantee that I'll do it, but I'm thinking of making a roster set with contracts edited this way. Before I decide if I want to do this, I wanted to see if anybody else has tried something like this and if it effected franchise in a negative way the way real-life contracts did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Proportional contracts

Who are the people that keep saying real contracts mess up payroll? I play with real contracts and their is nothing wrong with budgets and I'm in year 3. If anything I feel the starting budgets are horrible.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've found that if you want to use real contracts you need to turn budgets off and turn CPU trading off. Teams generally will still stick to their budgets in the game but turning trades off is crucial since the logic behind the trading system is still not perfect.

Yes, turning CPU trading off does hurt some of the realism, but I really enjoy having real contracts because it makes trading bad assets that much harder. But I agree, I haven't had many issues with real contracts as long as you turn budgets off.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still2REal
Who are the people that keep saying real contracts mess up payroll? I play with real contracts and their is nothing wrong with budgets and I'm in year 3. If anything I feel the starting budgets are horrible.
Future players.
They are totally out of proportion to the ones you give real contract $$$ to.

Also....when it's re-sign and FA time.
Real bad.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 04-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Future players.
They are totally out of proportion to the ones you give real contract $$$ to.

Also....when it's re-sign and FA time.
Real bad.

M.K.
Knight165
I've been through 2 re-sign and FAs nothing is different. CC Sabathia went from $25M to like $3M and the Yankees were left with a lot of money to spend... like in real life.They didn't go crazy with spending. In the past, there was some sort of "contract memory" going on to where someone who got off a $25M a year contract would still sign for like $18M or so even rated a Low 80 or high 70.

I keep hearing it "messes with budgets" but haven't seen any specifics. &Unless you think not going over budget or still having money to spend is a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still2REal
I've been through 2 re-sign and FAs nothing is different. CC Sabathia went from $25M to like $3M and the Yankees were left with a lot of money to spend... like in real life.They didn't go crazy with spending. In the past, there was some sort of "contract memory" going on to where someone who got off a $25M a year contract would still sign for like $18M or so even rated a Low 80 or high 70.

I keep hearing it "messes with budgets" but haven't seen any specifics. &Unless you think not going over budget or still having money to spend is a problem.
The budget system this year accelerates at 10-15% a year. When teams start with a higher total amount, then the budget increase is even larger.

As you have stated, contracts offered and recieved are much smaller. Teams have tons of room. What I have seen is less free agents hit the open market because teams can afford to resign the Harper's of the world without dropping a lash.

The bigger issue I find is it affects trade logic. When you start a franchise, each team is given about 10 million in wiggle room. To add a veteran or player mid season they have to trade money as well. So what I see is less trades to improve the team or rid bad contracts and instead see prospects swapped. I have not seen any big names traded or have I seen Transaction alerts pop up with real contracts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
The budget system this year accelerates at 10-15% a year. When teams start with a higher total amount, then the budget increase is even larger.

As you have stated, contracts offered and recieved are much smaller. Teams have tons of room. What I have seen is less free agents hit the open market because teams can afford to resign the Harper's of the world without dropping a lash.

The bigger issue I find is it affects trade logic. When you start a franchise, each team is given about 10 million in wiggle room. To add a veteran or player mid season they have to trade money as well. So what I see is less trades to improve the team or rid bad contracts and instead see prospects swapped. I have not seen any big names traded or have I seen Transaction alerts pop up with real contracts.

Those are good points. To be honest, I noticed the failure of many players to hit free agency in past games and have been utilizing 30 team control to alleviate it ever since. I simply turn contract and free agency to manual until the final day of exclusive negotiations. I also pick and choose who to give qualifying offers. Using this method, people make it to free agency at a far more reasonable rate.

You got me on trades in year 1, but this only effects year 1 trading. In year 2, everyones budget expands and trades improve.

I guess my point is that there will be issues whether you use the base salary structure or go with real or "close to real" contract figures. I've noticed that with standard contracts, you end up with similar trading and retention of potential free agents
Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I feel proportional contracts, with correct lengths will work perfectly.
Now the task at hand, IMO, is to find out what that proportion should be.
I don't know really how much even that will help. In the offseason teams will still offer deals on the contract logic I n place.

This is one thing that I want changed in logic if they can never get real salaries.

The contract proportions should be adjusted as well as contracts should inflate as years progress. Right now a player worth 10 million in 2016 is worth 10 million in 2027.

Last year arbitration was very close to real life. They tweaked it this year because players were getting more money in arbitration than when they were free agents. I remember seeing pitchers get 20 million in arbitration and then in the offseason getting 10 million as as a free agent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »