Home

Real Contracts vs. Default Contracts

This is a discussion on Real Contracts vs. Default Contracts within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Rookie

dutchy25's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Real Contracts vs. Default Contracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
On the surface, it seems like a good idea to keep things at default as the game intended. Then again, say in a carryover save, as soon as the Show team adds in a new feature that allows for more realistic modern-priced budget handling, you'll be stuck with a franchise where everyone is underpaid.

Pick your poison...

Since I play one year, I'd almost rather keep the realistic contracts in play.

That is a very good point.

I play multiple years so it does become an issue for me.

It's mostly the teams trading guys that are under team control for many years that the logic views as overpaid that I am finding. It's a definite problem and you may see it as your franchise progresses.

Watch out for teams trading guys still with arbitration years.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

I played with OSFM 3.5 in '16... does anyone remember if those contracts were real or default? I think they were default.

Anyways, it seemed like all of the teams had way too much money after a year or two. I remember having to decide between Jake Arrieta and Jose Altuve one year. I was playing with the PIRATES!

There is no way the Pirates are going to offer a $200mil contract to anyone but I had the cash to do it with plenty left over.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Real contracts also affects the trade logic. The cpu values players at a certain level. If they are paid significantly more the trade value decreases.

In future seasons as players contracts come back to default it really impacts.

Last year I ran tests with the quantity of trades of default vs real contracts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Quote:
On the surface, it seems like a good idea to keep things at default as the game intended. Then again, say in a carryover save, as soon as the Show team adds in a new feature that allows for more realistic modern-priced budget handling, you'll be stuck with a franchise where everyone is underpaid.

Pick your poison...

Since I play one year, I'd almost rather keep the realistic contracts in play.
I really want to get engrossed in a long term franchise, playing Y2Y for the first time.

Is it recommended that I use the default or 'real' contracts...? I'm itching so badly to get started, lol...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I dont plan on playing more than 3 seasons, maybe even 4 but doubtful.
Is 3 years in going to have a large impact with real contracts or a minimal one?
I just cant stand contracts that are skewed all over the place, one player making more IRL and another making more in the Show. Maybe even if theres a large impact 3 years in I will just stomach it and do it anyways.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I played with OSFM real contracts last year as LAD and I at one point had the money to sign 2-3 max-contract types in my 4th or 5th off-season, in addition to an already talent-loaded roster. It struck me as excessive and I felt I needed to apply budget restrictions to keep it even remotely honest. Granted, LAD has a massive payroll, but it seemed unbelievable to me that I could sign Bryce Harper and Nolan Arrenado (I think those were the two) in the same off-season and still have tons of expensive talent elsewhere.

I think if the game is built to work with default contracts and you want to create a 30% salary bump for the league, on average, you're risking breaking the trade and FA system by asking it to do something it wasn't built to do.

For me, this is a case of accepting that you can't have exact realism in every single area, as realistic contract numbers might create unrealistic trade and FA scenarios.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

If anyone's interested, I just ran a test w OSFM v1.0 versus v1.75 to examine how trading was handled up through the trade deadline. Everything auto, injuries and suspensions turned off for testing.

I was thinking of putting a video together sharing what was seen, if folks would be interested.

I'll give you a little hint though...not as much as you may think.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
If anyone's interested, I just ran a test w OSFM v1.0 versus v1.75 to examine how trading was handled up through the trade deadline. Everything auto, injuries and suspensions turned off for testing.

I was thinking of putting a video together sharing what was seen, if folks would be interested.

I'll give you a little hint though...not as much as you may think.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Yes, yes, and yes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2017, 08:40 PM   #16
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Hey guys,

I have some time tonight, so I'm going to put up a stream that will be Part 1 of a 2-part series covering the OSFM rosters and how the contracts behave in-game between OSFM v1.0 and v1.75. Seems to be a hot topic folks have some questions about.

I figured some people in this thread might want to come chat and ask questions and put in requests for me to take a look at. I will be posting this around a few threads where folks might have an interested in stopping by instead of waiting for the archive to go up on Operation Sports.

I plan to remain unbiased as I'm sure there's a solution for everyone to enjoy these greats rosters, and I'm hoping the conversation simply helps people out. I plan to examine the two saves I've run, and would love for some folks to stop in and chat.

The stream will be up in a few minutes on my YouTube channel or the link will be Tweeted out from mikelowe_OS on Twitter.

Talk to you all soon!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »