Home

Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 16 Version]

This is a discussion on Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 16 Version] within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #1
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 16 Version]

This thread will be about yet another attempt at creating a slider set based on empirical data through running a bunch of CPU vs. CPU games.

For now, this is a placeholder, but eventually and hopefully the thread would resemble the one from the last year:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...5-version.html

With that out of the way, the thread will more likely become a solace in which I write about how I get frustrated watching baseball at O.co Coliseum and how I still lament the Josh Donaldson trade to this day.

MLB 16 CPU vs. CPU Game Stats (In Progress)

Currently Recommended Slider Set (Dated 5/8)

Code:
Power: 5
Timing: 1
Foul Frequency: 2
Solid Hit: 5
Starter Stamina: 5
Reliever Stamina: 5
Pitcher Control: 4
Pitcher Consistency: 3
Strike Frequency: 6
Manager Hook: 5
Pickoffs: 5
Fastball PS: 4
Offspeed PS: 4
Fielding Errors In: 9
Fielding Errors Out: 3
Throwing Errors In: 5
Throwing Errors Out: 8
Fielder Run Speed: 4
Fielder Reaction: 5
Fielder AS In: 3
Fielder AS Out: 4
BR Speed: 5
BR Steal Ability: 9
BR Steal Frequency: 5
Wind: 5
Injury Frequency: 5
Trade Frequency: 5

Last edited by nomo17k; 05-14-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Re: Stats-Based CPU Sliders [MLB 16 Version]

Another placeholder.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Not gonna lie, I'm as excited to see this thread as I am the upcoming OSFM roster lol

Looking forward to seeing your results and it's much appreciated. I don't have the fortitude to track every single game in such a short period of time...unless I have a second and maybe third PS4.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #4
Rookie

nonoirie's Arena

OVR: 1

On topic; I used to love chili fries but as I get older, I think about the heartburn I might get than actually enjoying it.

Off topic;

A. Lots of MoMers are seeing low scores... I assume BABIP and BB are culprit again...
B. GIDP are down from last year... Thank goodness.
C. CPU managers has quicker hook for starters this year.

Thank you Nomo for providing us with interesting data every year.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
A. Lots of MoMers are seeing low scores... I assume BABIP and BB are culprit again...
A. Without a doubt - I have incorporated a temperature variant to increase run production as the temps get warmer. ALTHOUGH - it's a massive lack of hitting but scores are only lower then expected not a HUGE difference but below average.

B. I've seen VERY few DPs. 8 games and a total of 4 DPs for both teams - not sure how to fix that.

C. Yea - I've played 8 MoM games and the opposing Mgr has pulled his Starter on or before the 6th inning in 7 of 8 games. I moved my CPU Manager Hook to 4 and no change in the ONE game at that level.

Last edited by Grinder12000; 04-05-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aensland
Not gonna lie, I'm as excited to see this thread as I am the upcoming OSFM roster lol

Looking forward to seeing your results and it's much appreciated. I don't have the fortitude to track every single game in such a short period of time...unless I have a second and maybe third PS4.
Thanks for your kind words... It would actually be better, or at least faster, if we could get a few people to contribute the computing time and the numbers, as in SETI@home fashion, but I cannot blame people not really wanting to put in that much effort... and I think I track too many stats than most would want to bother (though it's only still to the extent we have control over sliders), so I'm not really inclined to ask others and create some collaborative effort like OSFM.

I don't know how long I can keep doing this, but I suppose the hope of seeing the game getting closer and closer to reality has kept me going... I'd usually be turned off by the game if it plays nothing like the real thing, but thankfully The Show has been pretty good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoirie
On topic; I used to love chili fries but as I get older, I think about the heartburn I might get than actually enjoying it.

Off topic;

Thank you Nomo for providing us with interesting data every year.
Actually, BB% has been pretty good and I'm actually seeing higher BB% than in real life so far (!!). Overall, I haven't seen much wrong with plate discipline type of stats, but BABIP really seems down, even lower than I saw in MLB 14 when people were screaming "NOOOOooooo........ offense"

BABIP is at .258, when it should be close to .300. The simplest way to increase BABIP is to increase line drives (relative to fly/ground balls).

I think I'm going to go in detail a bit later, but I think there needs to be some serious effort bringing up BABIP to realistic value. Likely by jacking up Solid Hit and increasing Contact perhaps, although I want to avoid this given doing so would affect plate discipline type of stats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000
A. Without a doubt - I have incorporated a temperature variant to increase run production as the temps get warmer. ALTHOUGH - it's a massive lack of hitting but scores are only lower then expected not a HUGE difference but below average.

B. I've seen VERY few DPs. 8 games and a total of 4 DPs for both teams - not sure how to fix that.

C. Yea - I've played 8 MoM games and the opposing Mgr has pulled his Starter on or before the 6th inning in 7 of 8 games. I moved my CPU Manager Hook to 4 and no change in the ONE game at that level.
I think some elements of weather/atmospheric factors are already coded in the game. I don't exactly remember what the devs have said about the game-time temperature, but the thinness of atmosphere (via altitude) should affect how far fly balls travel, how much pitches break, etc.

I am actually not surprised that temperature affecting the game. I didn't really nail down anything given there are other factors that could lead to increase in offense, but when I kept going with CPU vs. CPU simulation well into the season when the temperature generally tends to raise, I saw the offense slightly increasing compared to all the stats-tracked CPU vs. CPU games, most of which are played in April/May.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
MVP

Grinder12000's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm a MoM player so whatever I can do to help would be S L O W but if there is anything . . . . . . .
Old 04-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 4

I work from home and have always ran these tests. Been lazy with it this year but I'm ready now. Let me know the variables you want (in franchise?, 1-5 starters?, etc) Like to have it somewhat narrowed down by the time rosters drop... so I can knock a bunch out starting now. Wait til I hear back from you thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »