Home

FenwayMac 2018 Legend Sliders

This is a discussion on FenwayMac 2018 Legend Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #401
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FenwayMac 2018 Legend Sliders

I will say this, i have to leave my Human Hitting sliders as is. I have never had the game play this realistically. I mean its dang near perfect. Keep in mind i was testing these exact hitting sliders before i saw you post this thread. And i were in love with them then. This thread solidified that for me. The only change i have made to human hitting is foul frequency.

My numbers (i recently posted my latset franchise numbers) are great. Line Drive % is perfect. Games are more realistic feeling than ever. I cant fix what isn't broken! Lol.

I did try a couple of games in a different franchise with CPU Timing at 0 and Solid Hits at 10. Statistically, it seemed fine. Numbers were realistic, etc. CPU was respectable but not overpowering. But - over that time, 40% of all balls in play were line drives (normal is 20-ish%). Granted its a small sample size.

There were about 24 line drives hit. Half of them were base hits. Other than just way too many line drives (plenty of weak ones and hard ones), it played fine, if just looking at the box scores.

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 08-08-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 01:05 AM   #402
Pro

OVR: 3

Yeah, when it comes down to it I don’t feel that too few foul balls or a few too many pop ups are deal breakers when the games are so enjoyable. I tend to get under the ball a bit is probably causing the difference. My line drives are right in line. I do like the extra hit types I feel I am seeing at solid hits 4, but not sure if I will keep it there yet.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #403
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffking
Before you change any sliders, try the following strategy. I've improved my average and hitting about .255 as a team.

0-0, 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 counts- leave PCI dead center. Only swing if the pitch is right down the middle

0-1, 1-1, 2-1 counts- pick any quadrant of the zone pre-pitch. stay in that quadrant and only swing if the ball is thrown there. you can use a variety of factors to determine where to place the quadrant (pitcher's tendencies, hitter's strengths, hitting strategy [sac fly, ground ball])

2 strike counts- i utilize Fenway's (or Nolan's) strategy of placing the PCI right at the point of the pitcher's release and trying to follow the ball

See if this works for you.

Your ERA is not too inflated.
Thanks, I'll give it a try later today.
Last night I played 2 games after adjusting pitch speed to 4 and human timing to 6.
I lost the first game 5-3, got 6 hits and hit my first homerun. But I only got K'd twice.
I lost the second game 6-5 but got 13 hits and got k'd 7 times.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #404
Pro

OVR: 3

I have a great series going with the Mets. Game two was a classic game in the rain. I drew nine walks...NINE, but left runners on base all game long. But I chipped away and took the lead on an opposite field single through the gap by Frazier to plate Meadows in the 8th. Also a strong all-around performance by my pitching staff as roles are far more defined now. Flexed but did not break.

The drama just continues to ramp up as these games become more and more meaningful. Having a blast. I also feel I am seeing some pretty cool new hit types that not seeing at solid hits 5. Leaning towards keeping 4 at this point, but still more games to test!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #405
Rookie

BigMo8232's Arena

Icon6 Re: FenwayMac 2018 Legend Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I did try a couple of games in a different franchise with CPU Timing at 0 and Solid Hits at 10. Statistically, it seemed fine. Numbers were realistic, etc. CPU was respectable but not overpowering. But - over that time, 40% of all balls in play were line drives (normal is 20-ish%). Granted its a small sample size.

There were about 24 line drives hit. Half of them were base hits. Other than just way too many line drives (plenty of weak ones and hard ones), it played fine, if just looking at the box scores.
Nolan 40% overall or just for you? I ask because line drive percentage would more accurately be controlled by the power slider. In my testing for the last two years with just timing/solid hits I have payed more attention to the hitter feedback box than game stats. With sliders I'm am trying to completely eliminate any "algorithm" determining how many hits, line drives, pop ups, grounders, strike outs and walks exist in an individual game. I want the outcome to be 100% my input and the player stats. With this said, when solid hits is anything less than 10 you can see in the batter feed back a pitch, in the zone, where the PCI perfectly covers the ball, Timing that is good/perfect and it will produce weak contact. This should never happen in a game cause it would never happen in real life unless it was a check swing or contact outside of the zone. That's what led me to test this in the first place. However the timing would need to be zero, 1 or at most two to combat the bloated rate of hits that would occur on 3 or higher timing. I like zero cause of the challenge but if it was too difficult for some this could be bumped up to accommodate for controller ability on any hitting interface (zone, directional, pure analaog).

I do love looking at the stats, however I do not want the game to decide "Ok we are supposed to have an average of 20% line drives so lets drop one now" When the onscreen feedback shows the PCI wasnt even close and the timing was late or early. Thats a random roll experience and, at least for me personally, not what I am looking for with this set. When Im pitching and im executing it should produce results not feel like a random roll in my opinion. I will say I love this set and as far as that goes this feels damn close to producing a simulated result. I guess me personally I dont want the stats to meet the averages I want the stats to point out any weekness in the sliders so adjustments can be made.

I am messing around with a couple of other tweaks (up/down one spot) that I will share soon if I see a result that benefits the group here. Then I am starting a franchise with the Cubs using the just realsed OSFM roster post trade deadline. I want to spend some time learning the spread sheets shared in the first post before I start. Because once I do, I will make zero slider adjustments for the entire season. I am also thinking of just showing each months results so its a larger sample and only 6 batches of data unless of course I make the playoffs lol.

Lastly, is the reason the CPU PCI is so large/covers so much of the zone because we are on legend? I know for human players increasing/decreasing contact will increase/decrease the PCI size somewhat (unless I'm mistaken about that). Before coming to this thread I had never played above all star and I'm wanting to workshop something if the answer to my question is yes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #406
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpen45
Thanks, I'll give it a try later today.
Last night I played 2 games after adjusting pitch speed to 4 and human timing to 6.
I lost the first game 5-3, got 6 hits and hit my first homerun. But I only got K'd twice.
I lost the second game 6-5 but got 13 hits and got k'd 7 times.
If it were me, i would have dropped Timing, instead of raising it, to coincide with lower pitch speed. Since you were getting 7-8 K's per game before (i think?), then simply lowering pitch speed alone, or timing alone, either one should lower strikeouts per game just by itself. If you both lower pitch speed and raise timing, it may lower K's to an unrealistic level, maybe even near 5 per game. Just some thoughts. (It did for me when i tested different combos). Or, you may just consider keeping Timing at 5 if you lower pitch speed to 4. Or have Timing at 6 and leave pitch speed at 5.

These are just thoughts. You will have a better idea as you get a larger sample size.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #407
Rookie

sublime55's Arena

How are y'alls whiff rates looking? Both my and the CPU's whiff rates tend to hover around 10-12%. I use the sliders as is, but have both CPU and User timing set to 0. Not really sure what else I can do other than swing more and pitch to the edges more? (although I already pitch around as much as possible)
Old 08-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #408
Rookie

BigMo8232's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime55
How are y'alls whiff rates looking? Both my and the CPU's whiff rates tend to hover around 10-12%. I use the sliders as is, but have both CPU and User timing set to 0. Not really sure what else I can do other than swing more and pitch to the edges more? (although I already pitch around as much as possible)
Thats one of the things im messing around with too. I whiff just fine but thats cause I use analog and dont have control over the PCI placement. But the CPU PCI covers most of the plate so Timing will not affect whiffs as much as early/late contact. I am messing around a few games with the following adjustments to see what effect it has.

CPU Contact 0
CPU Power 7
CPU Timing 0
CPU Solid Hits 10
CPU Foul Frequency 6 or 7 (whatever the orginal set has posted, I haven't changed this)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »