Home

Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Sliders

This is a discussion on Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
Top 5 NES Sports Games That Still Hold Up Today
Should Casual Fans Buy NHL 20 While Itís On Sale?
Fight Night Round 3 Video: Father Takes on Son in Boxing Game That Defined an Era
What game would you most like to see return next-gen? -- Click here to cast your vote now!

Old 03-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Sliders

Hello OS Show Nation!!! Wow.....another cycle has passed and we are ready for the final version on the PS4! Amazing how quick it has gone. But each and every year we have gotten improved gameplay, vastly improved fielding animations and ball physics as well as excellent audio and ballpark ambience.

MLB 20 promises to be another subtle advancement from the fantastic MLB 19 in terms of improved tagging, more unique OF breaks on hit balls, and again enhanced throwing and fielding animations.

For all of those who have used my sliders in the past you know the drill. We play with a totally clean screen. No visual aides what so ever, utilizing the Classic pitching and Directional hitting interfaces.

When you dive into my approach at playing MLB The Show keep an open mind. Dare yourself to dream of playing every pitch of every inning so the magic of baseball can unfold for you over the course of this cycle. I can assure you if can make an effort to play at least 120-162 games you will get the full monty of what makes MLB The Show the greatest console sports game on the planet. The “little things” really shine and you will see things in game 100 that you never saw in the previous 99. Believe me, trust me and dive in. Endure a month long cold spell at the plate. Endure a month long shellacking of your pitching staff as you grasp at reasons of WTF is going on.....that will make that 15 game winning streak, that 10 game hitting streak, that monster run of scoring 50 runs in 6 games, that 3 HR game, hitting for the cycle, getting to the post season, WINNING THE WORLD SERIES that much sweeter.

Trust the settings, trust the dice rolls, and try to get better!

1. Sample size - Please play 25-35 games before jumping off a bridge because you can’t hit or pitch. Also be honest with yourself about your skill level and ability. Especially when it comes to hitting. The Show emulates hitting so well. And guess what? It is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. That is why we have guys playing football on Sundays (they cannot hit a 95 MPH fastball nor want any part of standing in the dish facing that kind of heat coming at their head). Adjust pitch speed down or up if you find it too difficult or too easy.

2. Buy into the clean screen approach and embrace this way of playing - Turn off those visual guides, cues and arrows. Do not use guess pitch. It all makes you a lousy player. Learn how to play baseball. Use your eye’s and instinct’s. Sit on pitches, have patience at the plate, learn what good pitch sequencing is all about when you are on the bump. This is not an entry level way of playing. Clean screen is hardcore simulation style baseball. Our timing and our IQ coupled with player ratings determines our ultimate success.

Version 4.0 5/10/2020

Version 2 Slider Set and Classic Roster Slider Set Now In The Vault PSN = Todem
Settings:

Batting and Baserunning:

Hitting Difficulty: HOF

Hitting Interface Directional (Timed)

Input Type - Buttons

Plate Coverage Indicator - Off

Camera Shift - Off

In-Play View Offense - Broadcast

Hitting View: Fish Eye (Users Choice)

Ball Trail - Off

Button Interface: Classic

Guess Pitch: Off

Baserunner Interface: Default

Baserunning Decisions: Assist

Sliding Decisions: Assist

Runner Window: Off (Much more challenging and rewarding plus cleaner screen)

Pitching:

Pitching Difficulty: HOF

Pitching Interface: Classic

Pitching View: Broadcast

Pitching Ball Marker: Off ("On" for those that struggle with it off)

Pitch Confidence: On

Pitch Delay: Normal

API: Default

Fielding:

Throwing Interface: Buttons

Throwing Meter: Off

Throwing Difficulty: NA

Throwing Decision: Off

Throw Canceling: On

Fielding Decision: Auto

Defensive Shift: Manual

All Indicators - off

Fielding View Offense: Broadcast

Fielding View Defense: Broadcast

General

Strike Zone: Off

Hot Zones: Off

Warm Up Relievers - On

Balks: Off

Tutorial Tips - Off

Post Game Auto Save - Off

Umpire Balls and Strikes: Personalized

Umpire Close Plays: On

Check Swing Appeals: On

Injuries: On

Ejections: On

Scorebar Display - On

Pitch Select Display - Off

Swing/Pitch Info - Off

Vibration - On (Off for the ultimate challenge) (I play with it on)

Game Log Order - Default

Presentation Options

Presentation Mode - Broadcast

Pre Pitch Cameras - Batting Only

Frequency - High Leverage

Batter Walkup - On

In-game Ticker - On

Closed Captioning - Off

Mode Updates - Occasional

MLB.com Updates - On

Gameplay Sliders

Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity - user choice ( I do not use it)

Human Contact - 5

Human Power - 4 (-1)

Human Timing - 5

Stride Difficulty - 5

Human Foul Frequency - 5

Human Solid Hits - 4 (-1)

Human Starter Stamina - 6 (+1)

Human Reliever Stamina - 5

Human Pitcher Control - 6 (+1)

Human Pitcher Consistency - 6 (+1)

CPU Contact - 5

CPU Power - 4 (-1)

CPU Timing - 5

CPU Foul Frequency - 4

CPU Solid Hits - 4 (-1)

CPU Starter Stamina - 6 (+1)

CPU Reliever Stamina - 5

CPU Pitcher Control - 5

CPU Pitcher Consistency - 6 (+1)

CPU Strike Frequency - 5

CPU Manager Hook - 4 (Click back to 5 once they go to the bullpen)

CPU Pickoffs - 5

Fastball Pitch Speed - 7 (+1)

Off speed Pitch Speed - 6

Fielding Errors Infield - 5

Fielding Errors Outfield - 5

Throwing Errors Infield - 5

Throwing Errors Outfield - 5

Fielder Run Speed - 4 (-1)

Fielder Reaction - 4 (-1)

Fielder Arm Strength Infield - 5

Fielder Arm Strength Outfield - 5

Baserunner Speed - 5

Baserunner Steal Ability - 6

Baserunner Steal Frequency - 6

Wind - 5

Injuries - 10 for played games 6 for Quick manage or sim games

Trade Slider 5 - April

Trade Slider 5 - May

Trade Slider 6 - June

Trade Slider 10 - July,

Trade Slider 5 - August

Trade Slider 5 - September

Trade Slider 5 - October

Trade Slider 10 - November thru February

Trade Slider 7 - Spring Training

For those looking to curb HR’s

CPU/HUM Power both set to 4

For those looking to curb HR’s and exit velocity (less perfect/perfect hit balls)

CPU/HUM Power both at 4
CPU/HUM Timing both at 4

Classic Roster adjustments for use with 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s classic roster season play!!

HUM/CPU Pitcher Stamina 7
HUM/CPU Reliever Stamina 6
CPU Pitcher Hook - 3

Armor’s True Classic Clean Screen Approach
[/size]

For the ultimate in simulation and challenge here is the way I play The Show with classic pitching vs the CPU.

OK so here is the deal on turning off the R2/pitch types button showing on screen.

All you need to do to see your pitchers repertoire is press right on the d-pad and hit R1 and you will see in order his pitch selection (and you can access this screen to see his strike % throughout the game with his various pitches to see how he is dealing and this eliminates the crutch of the pitch confidence display explained later)

So you press d-pad left and then R1 and see this:

1.4FB

2.SL

3.SPL

4.CHG

That means:

4FB = X = 1 finger
SL = O = 2 fingers
SPL = Triangle = 3 fingers
CHG = Square = 4 fingers
4 Fingers and wiggle means his 5th pitch (R1)

Now you know his best to weakest.

Watch the catcher....if he has 2 fingers showing he wants you to throw a Slider. If he shows 4 fingers he wants a Change up.

I typically allow my catcher to call some of my pitches for me. But I will overrule him often when I want. If you want to see where he wants it pull back R2 and the location icon will flash. The catcher also will sometimes just pat his mitt and/or point inside or outside and I will just aim to that area of the zone (or out of it). Or again I will shake him off. Remember if your controller rumbles while your picking your location the marker (which you can't see) is out of the strike zone. A slight rumble is barely out of the zone..and strong rumble is way out of the zone. I do start pitches out of the zone like sliders, cutters splitters etc and they come back in based on the break and spin. It takes practice....but it is well worth the reward.

Now if your pitcher has 5 pitches 4 fingers and a wiggle will mean the pitch assigned to the R1 button.

Another cool thing is you no longer see a pitchers confidence in any particular pitch. Again simply press d-pad left and R1 once and you can see each pitch and the strike %. The more strikes you have thrown with a pitch the higher the confidence level will be in that pitch.

When you have played the game as long as I have....you know if your throwing a certain pitch for strikes a lot...they will have a lot more confidence in it. I am at a stage with this game where I don't need many visual aides. But if your not there yet turn the pitch type screen back.....play the game the way your comfortable playing it.

I will tell you though the layers of simulation by pitching this way is amazing and fun. Turning the ball marker off and no controller vibration also truly makes it challenging and realistic. Sometimes your pitches will not go where you want them.

Just like IRL!!!

Give this a shot. I have a feeling you will love it. It will take some getting used to...but after a dozen to a couple of dozen games you will be in the groove.

My good friend and fellow slider guru Josh1977 had some nice input about classic pitching so check this stuff out below as well.

"That said, you definitely have some control over pitch outcome. How long you hold the button matters. It affects pitch speed, command, and the amount of break on breaking pitches. It just isn't 'push a button and go'...there is far more subtlety in it. In fact, if you simply tap the button, it is an excellent way to get shelled".

When pitching in classic, you have about a 1 second time period before you get the controller vibration (i.e. max-effort). The following are my observations...

Max effort pitches (holding the button down till the vibration) result in the following:
More velocity
Less control
A sharper break on breaking pitches
Pitches tend to rise more

Minimum effort pitches (tapping the button) results in the following:
Less velocity
Better control
"Loopier" breaking balls (especially curves/sliders
Pitches sink more (due to lower velo) - changeups will pretty constantly wind up in the dirt
In many cases, an "intermediate" duration is optimal. However, you can vary this from pitch to pitch (i.e. like a pitcher adding/subtracting from the speed of the pitch). This is a tremendous way to keep hitters off-balance to help to avoid them getting solid contact/timing.

This is just a basic overview...I'm sure there are more subtleties involved.

Armor's Directional Hitting Approach

It is all situational for me. So many factors depending on the type of hitter, counts, situation, score etc etc.

First off as far as swing types and counts:

Normal Swing:

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1, 2-2, 3-2

Contact swing

All Pitchers

0-2, 1-2,

2-2, 3-2
Situational - with weaker hitters to make contact and move runners or sacrifice fly.

Power Swing only with my very best power hitters when I typically have no one on with no outs or no one on with 2 outs.

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 (green light) 3-1 counts.

Directional strategy:

I position the LS pre pitch and hold throughout the swing however as you know I do not use the visual aide showing the influence (don't need it).

Dead Pull Contact Hitters if the situation calls for a pull

LS at the 9 o'clock for RH 3 o'clock for left handers

Hitters counts only 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1

Pull Power Hitters with normal swing

LS position

10/11 o'clock positions for RH hitters

1/2 o'clock for LH hitters

Opposite field strategy for RH hitters so I can hit behind the runner...early in counts and hitter counts (0-0, 1-0, 2-0 or 3-1) LS is at 3'clock for LH hitters at 9 o'clock

If I get into a pitchers count or neutral count (0-1, 0-2, 1-1, 2-2, 3-2) I do not use stick influence but I allow the ball to travel deep so I can either slap it the other way or fight it off.

When I simply want to induce a sac fly or ground ball....LS in 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock respectively in hitters counts only.

So I think you can see my approach. In hitters counts I can be far more selective with my pitches and use the LS influence. Basically depending on what I want to do I am looking for one pitch in one spot on 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1 counts (I rarely green light on 3-0 unless I am up big or down big or have a gut feeling). When I am in pitchers counts or neutral accounts I am simply using my normal or contact swing with no stick influence as I am in battle mode and trying to work the count.

I hope that gives you a good idea of my approach at the dish.

[COLOR=“DarkRed"]
Armors 30 Team Control Manifesto
[/color]

So folks I seem to always get a lot of questions around 30 team control, is it for me, how much control do you use, why do you use it etc. So I want to talk about the why, how and pretty much what I do personally with my 30 team control universe in my proper 2017 Yankees Franchise and my Year 3 1987 Yankees Franchise The Quest For Donny Baseball.

Why 30 team control? Well for me it comes down to these 3 key points

1) Lineup integrity and control - I want to make sure lineups are logical and maximizing every teams talent. This is subjective to the player as well. What I may think makes sense, you may do something differently. Always remember it is your universe and you can shape it any way you want.

2) Trade Czar - I love trading. But I hate dumb trades, like real doozy type trades that make no sense for the present or the future. And they do sometimes occur....of course it's totaly IMO. So if I see a trade that fit's my definition of "being bent over with no lube" I will simply reverse it. Now in the past we had a trade delay option. But for programming reasons (it was causing some issues in the trade engine apparently) it was removed on MLB 16. So to reverse a doozy of a deal simply trade the assets back to each respective team. The team that clearly got the strong side of the deal is the one you should propose the trade back to the team that was fleeced.

3) 40 Man Roster Integrity - I make sure I stay on top of each teams 40 man roster in terms of "A" and "B" prospects. Why? I don't want legit "A" and "B" prospects who are developing nicely to be exposed to the "Rule 5" draft. So Before September I make sure (and of course before the regular season starts) I go through each teams 40 and check out their "top" prospects and make sure I get them on the 40 man roster (if they are not on it) to protect them from exposure to the Rule 5 draft. Of course sometimes there is not enough room, because you do need a good mix of veterans at the AAA level to be on call for potential injuries. So this is a GM aspect I like to do. Plus it get's me familiar with every teams minor league system.

So I create one profile for my club with everything set to manual and then I have a profile called "CPU Franchise" which I assign to every team I do not want full control over.

Everything on this CPU Franchise profile is set to Auto except:

Lineups

40 Man Roster

I do not resign the other 29 teams free agents, I do not manage their injuries (I just stay on top of their lineups so if an injury occurs at the big league level and I do not agree with their call-up replacement or lineups with new player inserted I correct it to my liking).

Again, it is about options and the ability to step in when I want/need to. I do not get overwhelmed with doing player training or scouting for the other 29 teams.

I simply just manage those 3 things I mentioned above.

And of course another perk is if I want to switch teams in a franchise at anytime....I can.

So here is my daily method with 30 team control

Simulate all games on the schedule for the day except my game. That way all the scores show up on my ticker when I play my game.

Monthly I will check every team's stat's, see who is performing well etc and I may make some lineup adjustments to other teams to capitalize on players performing better than expected.

Again it is your universe. Have fun with it. And don't over think it

Trades for your team - So one thing I have in place is a house rule where I only trade with other teams for players that are strictly on the trading block until the month of July (when my storylines will take over as I check standings and teams goals, budget etc etc). Unless a team comes to me with an offer with a player/players not on their trading block, I limit myself to that rule. Some exceptions I will make is if I am trying to make a blockbuster multi star player deal and of course I do not fleece the CPU. What's the fun in that? Maybe it is for you and you can do whatever you want, but for me, I like to keep it grounded and more realistic. With that I do have storylines that will occur in the natural progression of my team and I may move a guy because of it. And again.....Trade deadline and Winter meetings I will look at the league and make logical deals and blockbuster trades as well and keep my league fresh and vibrant.

Player Editing Within Your Franchise Universe

So Warmwind has a nice set of house rules that I will begin employing in my off-seasons moving forward (30 team control only). Read below. I think it has great idea’s and will make your franchises far more dynamic!

I do edits, but based on rules.

1. I make position edits based on needs and profiles all the time. There are no consequences for doing this.

2. I'm allowed to trade 1 for 1 between a pitcher's durability and their stamina, but only during the off season. This can coincide with a position edit (RP to SP for example).

3. All players must be allowed to regress without edits if they are having a bad year.

4. For players under 34, I'm allowed to counteract regression, but only if they are having a good year.

5. For players under 36, I'm allowed to counteract half of the regression, but only if they are having a good year.

6. For players of any age, I'm allowed to counteract regression using a trade system, where points from one attribute are traded into another in order to keep it up. This can ONLY be used to counteract regression, cannot be used to boost an attribute higher then where it started the year at. Points taken from Durability are worth double, but it also costs double to keep Durability up.

Have fun with it guys.

Mikeyo918’s 30 Team Control Sponsership Method and Approach

WILL ONLY WORK WITH 30 TEAM CONTROL

1. NYY - Earnings 12 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Active replay - 2.5K/hit, Walk up - 40K/win

2. LAD - Earnings 12.1 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 25k/game, Active replay - 2.5K/hit, Walk up - 40K/win

3. BOS - Earnings 7.5 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 2.5K/hit

4. CHC - Earnings 8.6 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 3.5K/strikeout

5. SFG - Earnings 7.8 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

6. NYM - Earnings 7.2 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 40K/win

7. STL - Earnings 8.7 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)

8. LAA - Earnings 7.6 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 2.5K/hit

9. PHI - Earnings 7.4 MIL (all diamonds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 40K/win

10. HOU - Earnings 8.1 MIL (1 diamond/1 gold)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 15K/homerun

11. WAS - Earnings 6.8 MIL (1 diamond/1 gold)
In game ticker - 25K/game, Walk up - 2K/hit

12. ATL - Earnings 6.1 MIL (all golds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 2K/hit

13. TEX - Earnings 5.8 MIL (all golds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 2K/hit

14. CWS - Earnings 6.8 MIL (all golds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 15K/homerun

15. SEA- Earnings 5.5 MIL (all golds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 55K/save

16. TOR - Earnings 4.8 MIL (all golds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 15K/double play

17. SDP - Earnings 5.2 MIL (all golds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 3.5K/run

18. ARI - Earnings 5.6 MIL (all golds for sponsor)
In game ticker - 20K/game, Walk up - 20K/stolen base

19. BAL - Earnings 4.4 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 1.5K/hit

20. PIT - Earnings 3.7 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 20K/win

21. DET- Earnings 3.8 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 10K/homerun

22. COL - Earnings 4 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 2.5K/run

23. MIN - Earnings 5 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 10K/homerun

24. MIL - Earnings 4.5 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 1.5K/hit

25. CLE - Earnings 3.3 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 10K/double play

26. OAK - Earnings 3.5 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 15K/stolen base

27. CIN - Earnings 4.4 MIL (all silvers for sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game, Walk up - 1.5K/homerun

28. KC - Earnings 2.4 MIL (1 silver sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game

29. TB - Earnings 2.4 MIL (1 silver sponsor)
In game ticker -15K/game

30. MIA - Earnings 2.4 MIL (1 silver sponsor)
In game ticker - 15K/game
Madden 25
NCAA 14
NBA 2K11

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 06-09-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Slider

2017 New York Yankees Year 4 (2020) Franchise News Wire

The Birdman Soars In Oakland As He Awakes From His Early Season Slumber

Bird watches 1 of his 3 blasts at Oakland leave the yard!

The Yankees started their West Coast Road Swing at Oakland hoping to continue their early season surge. Coming into game 1 with a 9-4 record, 1B Greg Bird was looking to get his bat going. Bird has rapidly developed into one of the most feared lefty bats ver the last 3 seasons. Winning the 2018 Silver Slugger award at 1B as well as hoisting the 2018 Post Season MVP Trophy in helping lead the Yankees to a World Series title, Bird was off to a slow start in terms of contact. His power numbers were modest through 13 games. 3 HR’s 4 RBI’s. But his Contact ratio and was trending down while his K’s were alarmingly high.

That all changed vs the A’s hapless pitching staff. The Birdman would launch not 1, not 2, but 3 HR’s. And not your garden variety. This were bombs. All 3 of them to Right Center field in Ricky Henderson Stadium. He would be a big part of a 11-4 Yankee’s rout in support of starting pitcher Joel Cardenas (2-1).

“It felt great!” Bird said following the game. “I was locked in and seeing the ball really well”. Asked what changed Bird replied “Max gave me the day off in our last game at home and I was able to really decompress, refocus, do some tee work and get my approach back”.

The Yankees will face the A’s again tonight.

Yankees Drop 2 out of 3 to last place Reds in NY, Injuries Mounting Up

The Yankees are back to NY from Oakland on the tailwind of a 6 game winning streak. All systems were rolling. But along the way back home to the Bronx the Yankees suffered some set backs. Closer Ardolis Chapman, RF Aaron Judge and now Starting Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka have all landed on the IL. Chapman has a strained shoulder, Judge strained his pectoral making a throw from RF and Tanaka grabbed his elbow after making a pitch vs The Reds. All the injuries were not deemed serious. All of them are going to miss a couple of weeks. In the meantime the feisty Reds managed to upset the Yankees in game one on a top of the 9th HR by Joey Votto off flame throwing LHP Steve Mullet Samuels. Manager Sammy Law brought in the lefty to face Votto and hopefully hold the score at 1-1 in the top of the 9th. Instead Votto (who leads the NL in HR’s currently) deposited a fastball into the upper deck of RF.

In the series finale the Reds brought out the sticks and battered The Tanaka as well as the bullpen after his exit due to the elbow injury (grade one strain after an MRI).

The Yankees are heading to Detroit to try and lick their wounds after this disappointing series vs The Reds.

Chapman had to leave a game vs the Rangers and wound up on the 15 day IL due to a strained shoulder

Aaron Judge watches on from the dugout as he recovers from a strained pectoral suffered vs the A’s making a throw from RF

Tanaka had to be spectator in game 3 vs the Reds after strained his UCL. He will be on the 15 day IL and expects to miss a couple of starts

The A.L. Central Leading Indians Came To NY and Handed The Yankees Two More Losses Before Veteran OF Brett Gardner Ignites Epic Yankees Rally (bottom of the 8th) In Game 3 To Salvage The Series.

Greg Bird Slides In Safely On Brett Gardner’s Game Tying 2R Double In The Bottom Of The The 8th vs The Indians

The New York Yankees are reeling as of late. Losers of 6 of their past 9 games they came into the finale of their 3 game series with the A.L. Central 1st place Indians. CF Tyler Naquin continued his reign of terror vs Yankees pitching hitting 3 HR’s in this series including a 2 out 2 strike solo shot to give the Indians a quick 1-0 lead after 2 innings. 2nd year RHP Joel Cardenas ended up battling and going 8 strong innings. Manager Sammy Law had recently made a shift in the starting lineup. CF Clint Frazier who got off to a very fast start had been going into a deep freeze that started on the road in Detroit and conintued through the home stand vs the Reds and Indians. Law had seen enough. He inserted savvy veteran Brett Gardner back into the starting lineup in CF and batting 9th. Well he delivered. With one out and runners on second and 3rd he smoked a RC gap double to tie the game up 4-4 in the bottom of the 9th. Then SS Trea Turner who is having a breakout season in his second year with the Bombers drove Gardy home on a single to give the Yankees the lead 5-4. Closer Dellin Betances (while Chapman is on the mend) would pitch a perfect 9th to lock down the save and a much needed win.

“There was a reason we made the move to Gardy, and he showed why tonight!” Exclaimed Manager Sammy Law. “He is such a gamer and guy who has always found a way to hit in big moments for us”. Gardner was resigned in the off-season to a one year deal after having the toughest season of his career. He went down with a torn ACL early in May in 2019 and was lost for the season. A lot of doubts lingered that he could bounce back at his advanced age, but Gardy is silencing the doubters early here in the season. Client Frazier did not make himself available to the media for any comments on his demotion.

The Yankees now welcome the Tigers who took 3 of 4 from the Yankees a week ago in Detroit. However the Yankees got some great news on the injury front as Aaron Judge is set to return to the starting lineup in game 1 of this series.

As we approach the end of April look out for our April recap as we will post players stats, standings and league wide news and.....yes trade rumors already!!!

Standings Around The League As Of 4/30/2020

The Hot Stove Is Warming Up Already In May

May 1st 2020 - According to the Yankees and Dodgers they have had minor discussions in terms of exchanging numbers of various contracts.

In this past off-season the Yankees extended All-Star 3B Nolan Arenado a lucrative front loaded contract that averaged just shy of 30MM per season over 5 years.

They were thought to have been very interested in Free Agent pitcher Gerrit Cole but wanted to front load his deal and go 6 years. Cole balked at the length and money and ended up signing with the Dodgers.

LA has this top 4 in their rotation:

Kershaw
Cole
Arriata
Madea

However they lost Justin Turner to the Pirates and he is in my franchise a super stud 3B who simply mashes. They are down Joc Pederson who is on IL and really are seeking an elite bat and glove at 3B.

Talks were rumored to be about impending free agent Clayton Kershaw.....but Kershaw balked at wearing a Yankees uniform....the talks then turned to Cole who contract is heavily back loaded which goes against the Yankees plans as Judge, Sanchez, Bird, then Turner will want their paydays. The Yankees are sitting really good in terms of having their core under team control for the next 2-3 years until the roosters come home to roost. This does give time for the Yankees scouts to draft and develop players to replace some guys they simply will not be able to retain.

However taking on a heavy back loaded 5 year deal on Cole can crimp the budget and force the Yankees to make some key decisions. However GM Michael Sword has been heard in the past when talking about Cole, that he was born to be a Yankee and is the type of pitcher that will be your Ace well into his mid to late 30’s. He thinks that highly of him.

Intial discussions were around Kershaw....and they still may be. It is unknown as we are in the beginning of May and while the Yankees are in first place, their starting rotation has shown flaws in April. The Dodgers on the other hand got off to a very cold start but reeled off 9 straight to climb back into the N.L. West race but still lack offensive punch. You have two teams here dealing from positions of strength.

When Nolan Arenado was asked for a comment he simply shrugged his shoulders and said “I love L.A. bring it on if that is what they want”. When Cole was asked about NY he simply said “I still have my Jeter Jersey in my closet”.

It remains to be seen if this deal will consummate. But most GM’s around the league don’t think anything happens until we approach the deadline. They feel both teams will be very much in the race by then and can evaluate what if any moves they want to make.

Other pitchers discussed going to LA along with Arenado were RHP Chad Green or Jordan Montgomery.

Stay tuned!!!

Dodgers Signal A Change Forth Coming?

The L.A. Dodgers called up hot pitching prospect Walker Buehler from AAA.

Buehler has been tearing up AAA as he took a little longer to develop than the Dodgers initially thought. This may be a sign they are seeing if Buehler can handle the role in the Show.

If he proves over the next month or two he is ready for prime time this could be the signal the Dodgers are sending about their seriousness in shedding Gerrit Coles massive back loaded deal he signed this past off-season. Or is it a sign they are moving on from long time multi Cy Young winner Clayton Kershaw who will be a free agent at seasons end? It is unknown what is really in this thinking for the Dodgers who have been entertaining other teams calls besides the Yankees. One thing they do want? An Elite Power bat and elite glove. And that is what it will take to land either a Cole or Kershaw.

We know the Yankees desire a top Ace. We also know that 2022 and 2023 will be a couple of years where players like:

Aaron Judge
Gary Sanchez
Trea Turner
Greg Bird (2021)

Will be looking for big contracts. However contracts that will come off the books when those players will come knocking are:

Masahiro Tanaka
Ardolis Chapman

In the meantime The Yankees are playing excellent baseball again as they took game 1 of their critical early season 3 game series vs their hated rival in the Boston Red Sox 9-4. Domingo German again gave the Yankees what they needed pitching 6.2 strong innings yielding 4 runs.

Month Ending April 2020 Player Stats Recap

2020 New York Yankees Stats - Hitting
NAMEABRH2B3BHRRBIBBSOSBCSBAOBPSLG
Bryce Harper13425491211634132600.366.422.828
D.J. LeMahieu132174161215111800.311.364.417
Trea Turner128214262520121765.328.387.523
Nolan Arenado119143260619132300.269.338.471
Miguel Andujar1141028601931100.246.263.325
Greg Bird113183260111862600.283.322.628
Gary Sanchez106183350914102500.311.387.613
Aaron Judge96182640917123400.271.352.594
Clint Frazier8615257021041503.291.330.442
Brett Gardner56915511104600.268.333.446
Tyler Austin4881341275900.271.345.521
Cesar Hernandez41691301220.220.256.341
Julius Cooley173420021200.235.300.353
2020 New York Yankees Stats - Pitching
NAMEGPGSWLSVQSHLDIPHERHRBBSOWHIPERA
Luis Severino774004049.2632353491.334.17
Joel Cardenas774202047.2622055281.413.78
Domingo German773205046.24418715411.263.47
Alex Meyer663202034.2372038361.305.19
Masahiro Tanaka551101028.0321894201.295.79
Dellin Betances1303030615.25221180.381.15
Chad Green1210110415.025158291.809.00
Luis Cessa500100013.01784061.315.54
Steve “Mullet” Samuels900010210.1921281.061.74
Chasen Shreve902000210.114410101.353.48
Tommy Kahnle001020010.11252341.454.35
Shawn Roche50000007.1521020.682.45
Ardolis Chapman50015016.1421160.792.84
Ernesto Frieri20000002.2100020.380.00

Team Rankings (Team Record April 30th 22-12):

Batting Average - 1st .294
AB’s - 5th 1204
Runs - 1st 184
Hits - 1st 353
Doubles - 2nd 72
Triples - 16th 6
HR’s - 1st 66
RBI - 1st 179
SB’s - 30th 8
Walks - 22nd 96
K’s - 1st 226
Slug % - 1st .528
OBP - 2nd .350
Total Bases - 1st 636
Fielding % - 18th .989
ERA - 23rd 4.42
CG - 2nd 3
SH - 28th 1
Saves - 3rd 12
BS - 28th 7
Hits Allowed - 30th 352
Runs Allowed - 25th 157
ER’s - 25th 152
HR Allowed - 29th 54
Walks Allowed - 1st 45
K’s - 26th 247

BREAKING NEWS!!!!
Yankees Consumate Major Trade With The Arizona Diamondbacks For Starting Pitcher Patrick Corbin and 1B/3B Jake Lamb

5/13/2020 - The New York Yankees have officially traded for LHP (SP) Patrick Corbin, 1B/3B Jake Lamb and LHP (SP) Alex Young

The Yankees Send:

1B/3B Miguel Andujar (.273 5HR 23 RBI) B potential and 80 overall under team control thru 2024
RHP (SP) Dave Hansen B Potential 71 Overall under team controlthru 2026
2B/3B/SS Cesar Hernandez 80 overall B potential (29 years old) FA in 2021
RHP (SP) Chad Green C Potential 70 overall under team control thru 2024

For

LHP (SP) Patrick Corbin B Potential 89 Overall (got a 4 point bump in his overall for Morale boost going to home town in NY) 8.4MM YR thru 2021
3B/1B/DH Jake Lamb C Potential 78 Overall 1.9MM FA 2021
RHP (SP) Alex Young C Potential 69 Overall Under Team Control Thru 2025 (Sent to AAA Rochester)

Trade is effective immediately for the Yankees upcoming series at Houston starting tonight. All players have passed their respective physicals.

We are pleased to announce that we have acquired LHP Patrick Corbin and 1B/3B Jake Lamb from the Arizona D-Backs “said GM Michael Sword”. We wish Miguel (Andujar), Ceasar (Hernandez), Dave (Hansen) and Chad (Green) the very best of luck. They were outstanding teammates and highly talented players. We also acquired starting pitching prospect Alex Young who will report to AAA Rochester today. We felt as a team we really needed another high end arm and getting a lefty was also our focus. We have been struggling as a staff and fortunately our offense has carried us through the first month and half of the season. However we know we need pitching to get to the goal we have of winning another Wold Series title. We will discuss a contract extension with Patrick during the 2021 season. We will also discuss an extension with Jake Lamb thru this season and see if we can come to some sort of agreement on that.

1B Greg Bird is almost ready to return from the 10 day IL so it is expected 1B Ji-Man Choi who has played really well will be sent back to AAA Rochester and moving forward Jake Lamb will be the DH vs right handers and upstart OF/1B Tyler Austin vs left handers. The Yankees rotation now adds a potential Ace to team up with Luis Severino as a formidable 1-2 punch that the Yankees have lacked.

The Diamondbacks on the other side have now acquired two outstanding young players in Andujar and Hansen. Andjuar has been on a tear since the start of May and will be sorely missed. He was 2nd in A.L. Rookie of the year voting in 2019. He is not the best defensive player. But it is expected he will get every chance to be the everyday 3B and can also easily play 1B. Dave Hansen a 2018 June draft pick for the Yankees has been ascending quickly through the Yankees system. He did get one start this season which was not too good, but he still needs another year of seasoning. He is viewed as one of the top pitching prospects in the Yankees system. He has all the potential to develop into a solid #2 or #3 starting pitcher in the D-Backs Rotation. Cesar Hernandez immediately becomes the everyday starting 2B and #2 hitter in the D-Backs lineup. They are currently 6 games out of first place in the N.L. West. They plan on extending Hernandez who is 29 years old. He is a very reliable glove and a good left handed hitting 2B with speed and some sneaky pop. Chad Green’s days as a Yankee really soured after coming out of spring training losing the 5th spot in the rotation to Alex Meyer. He then was rocked in long relief as well as a spot start and really has not fulfilled his promise in NY. He hopes the fresh start in Arizona leads to better days ahead. LHP (SP) Alex Young is also looking for a fresh start as he has not lived up to the hype in the Arizona system. The Yankees added Green to the deal and the D-backs were thrilled to grab him. We would have had to designate him for assignment and did not want to get nothing for him. So we asked for Alex Young and hope we can develop him and see if he can turn the corner in his career moving forward.

Yankees Happy To Be Coming Home After 3-7 Road Swing, Look To Get Back On Track

The Yankees hit the the road 14 days ago coming off two triumphant sweeps over the Blue Jays and Red Sox. First up were the Tampa Bay Rays and they ended up spliting that series 2-2. Then they came into Houston vs a reeling Astros teams who were losers of 7 straight. The Yankees 2019 season (YR3) came to a heartbreaking end in game 7 vs these Astros in Houston. Well the Astros gave them a reminder that they can still play with the big boys and swept the Yankees out of Minute Maid Park in convincing fashion. The Yankee pitching was battered and beaten and a move was made as reported for Patrick Corbin and Jake Lamb. Onto the Brewers who then took care of the Yankees in game one blowing them out. Patrick Corbin’s debut was shaky. Game two saw the Yankees put u a first inning 7 spot and they would go on to win 9-6. Again the pitching melting down late. Steve “Mullet” Samuels would get rocked in relief in both games two and three. The Yankees would then lose the rubber match 6-3 despite another strong start from Alex Meyer.

So back to NY to face the red hot first place Seattle Mariners for 4 games. Then a potential breather vs the lowly Twins. But then...backon the road for a west coast swing to Seattle and the Angels who may be getting Mike Trout back just in time for their series. Great.

Join me on Twitch for all the action live each day. You can also catch replays of all the games for the 2017 Yankees Year 4.

Corbin Stops The Bleeding, Tosses Complete Game in 6-1 Win Over Seattle, Judge Hit’s 2HR’s, Birdman Back Goes Yard, Yankees Look To Take 3 our of 4 As Twins Come To Town Next.

The Yankees came home in a rut. After a 3-7 road trip, the Bombers were looking forward to playing at home. Things got off to a great start vs The Mariners. Seattle came to NY with the best record in baseball. Game one saw the Yankees blast ahead 7-0 and then hold on for a 9-7 win. Again the pitching getting shakey late. Severino would get the win but again not be as sharp as he usually is. Game 2 the Mariners blasted Tanaka tagging him for 8 runs in just 5 innings. Enter recently acquired LHP Patrick Corbin. Making his home debut he looked dominant going a full 9 innings and allowing just a 2nd inning solo HR. He scattered 6 hits, walked 1 and struck out 6. “This is why we went and got Patrick” said GM Michael Sword. “We felt we got ourselves a stopper. A guy who can take the ball and keep us in games, and allow our bats to take care of the rest”.

“That felt great” “I really wanted to give the fans a great game and show them that I belong and can become part of the Yankees tradition”. “I love being here, Love that I am finally home in New York and pitching for my favorite team growing up”. “I was born to be a Yankee”.

No Sanchez? No Problem! Meyers Tosses 8 Shutout Innings Julius Cooley Has RBI Single In New Starting Catcher Role Debut as Yankees Take Down The Twins 2-0

The Yankees opened their 3 game series vs the last place Twins at Yankee Stadium with a 2-0 win. Starting Pitcher Alex Meyer continues his best season yet as a Yankees rotation starter (after being a long reliever and spot starer in 18 and 19) tossing 8 shutout innings. He moved his record to 5-3 and now owns the best ERA in the starting rotation. Meyer mixed his 99MPH fastball, nasty curveball as well as slider and also mixed in his sneaky 2 seamer to strike out 7, walk none and give the Yankees another great start. Meyer has looked very sharp in his last 3 starts (all wins) and right now looks like an Ace. Julius Cooley the 8th round pick in 2018 made a statement by knocking in the Yankees 2nd run in the 7th inning with a oppo-taco single to LF which allowed Bryce harper to score. Aaron Judge hit his 20th HR on the season to get the scoring started for the Bombers.

Judge and Harper are now closely resembling the HR race by Yankees Legends Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig. This is something that has been a lot of fun to watch.

The Yankees send Luis Severino to the bump in game two as the Yankees look to win 2 straight and keep the Red Sox at bay who sit just a 1/2 game back out of 1st place in the A.L. East.

Yankees Start With A Win On 6 Game West Coast Swing Over Angels 4-1 As Corbin Gives Them 8 Strong Innings, Tre Turner Sprains MCL Lands On 10 Day IL

The Yankees got a second straight strong outing from newly acquired LHP Patrick Corbin. He has really settled into the rotation and has shown the last two games why they Yankees puled the trigger to acquire him. He did have to leave the game in the 8th due to a sore lower back, but he is not expected to miss his next scheduled start. However the Yankees received some bad news as Trea Turner sprained his MCL rounding 3rd base and scoring on a Aaron Judge RBI single. Turner was 2-2 in this game and had two SB’s before having to leave the game after taking what appeared to be a bad step and slightly hyper extending his left knee. Fortunately the trainers confirmed it was a mild grade 1 sprain and said Trea will be back in 1-2 weeks. The Yankees called up middle infielder Pete Kozma to take his roster spot.

In other Yankee roster news, RHP Masahiro Tanaka has been demoted to the bullpen and RHP Joel Cardenas will take his next scheduled start. Also Tanaka will undergo a precautionary MRI on his right elbow. If you remember early in the season he was shut down for two starts when he felt some discomfort in just his second start of the season. There may be something to this as he has been absolutely dreadful in every start since coming back from being shut down for 2 weeks. He leads the MLB in HR’s allowed with 20. He allowed 18 in all of 2019 when he went 18-6. The Yankees hope he can turn his season around soon.

3B/1B/DH Jake Lamb has been ice cold all season and that has to changed since his trade to the Yankees. Manager Sammy Law is contemplating giving him several days off to reset his mind and work on his mechanics without game pressure. If he does that Tyler Austin will resume a full time DH role while Lamb works out his issues.

Mel Sands Headlines Yankees 2020 Draft Class, GM Michael Sword Keeps It In The Family Too With C Rolando Sanchez and 3B Eric Severino

The Yankees came into the draft with a “best Player Available” mentality regardless of position and it served them well. GM Michael Sword let the draft just come to him all day and the Yankees may have landed the next Doc Gooden with their first Round Pick:

Mel Sands comes to the Yankees as one of the hottest high school pitchers in the state of Arizona’s history. He has a major league ready fastball that was clocked at 97MPH at the Perfect Game 2020 Showcase this past May. He also owns a nasty curve and change to round out his 3 pitch arsenal. Although scouts slotted him as more of a C potential pitcher due to lack of control and some off the field issues, the Yankees believe they may have a #1 ACE with some good seasoning and development down on the farm. “I have always dreamed of being a Major League pitcher and to get that phone call from the Yankees and Mr Sword.....I was flabbergasted. It is time to get to work and hone my craft. I want to help this team win many more championships.

2nd Round Pick 2B Andres Batista out of Colorado has all the tools to become an everyday 2B in the Majors. What really concerned teams was his lack of durability in his 4 years playing college ball. He missed both his Sophomore season and half his Senior season with various injuries. However Michael Sword felt they needed another young 2B in the system and felt Batista can train hard and change his diet and become a solid pro. “We really loved the game film from Andres. Smooth, soft hands, a fluid swing from the left side, sneaky pop and a great mental makeup.” He interviewed amazingly well and is mature beyond his years”.

3rd round pick Clay Webster just fell into the Yankees lap. The hard throwing closer from the University of California simply dominated NCAA hitters his entire 4 year career. An impressive 5 pitch arsenal rounds out his 6’5 frame. He is a stopper. A guy you simply do not want to face in the 9th inning. The Yankees see him as a force in the future.

4th round pick SP Paul Boucher is lunch pale pitcher. As a 4 year starter for the Cavaliers in Virginia this all-state, all conference pitcher was an innings eater. He will not dazzle you with velocity, but he is a superbly crafty pitcher that may be Major League Ready by 2021. He can easily slot into the Yankees rotation at some point and add some more young blood. “Paul is just incredibly smart” “We loved his tenacity on the bump, and his ability to pitch to weak contact”.

When Michael Sword read the scouting report on catcher Rolando Sanchez....he felt like he had seen this movie before. Rolando is current Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez’s first cousin and the Yankees pounced on him. He will have a long road to The Show as he is a young raw left handed hitter. He will have to grind in the system before he even get’s a taste of the Major League level. But the pedigree is certainly there.

This was a boom or bust pick for Sword and he is feeling like it can be a grand slam pick in a few years. 3B Eric Severino another 1st cousin in the Yankees family (Luis Severino) is a power hitting 3B with an incredible upside. 19 years young, a switch hitting beast in his home country of Puerto Rico, Severino is the ultimate developmental player. His measurable are “Judge” like. 6’5 and 199 pounds he has plenty of frame to fill out. Being so young he has plenty of time to develop in the Yankees system and hopefully come up in 2023/2024 to take over the reigns from current superstar Nolan Arenado. “We really loved what we saw at the PG International Prospect Showcase. Sevi Jr put on a show with is bat from both sides of the plate. He does need to bulk up and get stronger. But his tools are there. And he was smooth at the hot corner. We want him to develop his arm strength more though and think that will come from adding another 10-15 pounds of muscle. We are very excited to see how he develops."

Yankees Bolster Bullpen Aquire Brad Boxberger From Rays For OF/1B Tyler Austin

The NY Yankees made a trade to help bolster their struggling bullpen by sending OF/1B Tyler Austin to the Tampa Bay Rays for veteran RHP Brad Boxberger. Austin entered the 2020 season on the Yankees 26 man roster and as their full time DH. However after a great start in April he began to fade fast and the Yankees also cut his playing time down drastically once they made the trade for Patrick Corbin which also netted Jake Lamb (who is coming on big in June). The Yankees really like Tylers upside but are in a strong position of depth at his position and needed a veteran Reliever for heir struggling bullpen. Boxberger is in the last year of his contract and will be a Free Agent come seasons end while Austin is still under team control and young. The Rays wanted a young OF with power and Tyler fit the bill nicely. They had no intention of resigning Boxberger.

“We are always happy with Tyler and his development but it came down to numbers and need” GM Michael Sword said on the trade. “We wish tyler well and he will no doubt have a greater opportunity to play full time and make an impact in Tampa”.

Yankees Sweep Red Sox In Boston Now 6-0 Vs Their Division Rival In 2020, But The Sweep Comes At A Cost Losing Rookie Sensation Catcher Julies Cooley 1-2 Weeks and Tanaka On The Shelf Again In Forgettable Season So Far.

The Yankees came into Boston looking to get some breathing room in the A.L. East and they did more than that in making a statement with a 3 game sweep. The Yankees beat Chris Sale and David Price in games 1 and 2. Nolan Arenado had an incredible series driving in 8 runs over three games and Jake Lamb’s bat has come alive as well. However some injuries have mounted. Starting Pitcher Alex Meyer is out for a week with a bruised foot suffered in game one. He should not miss his next scheduled start. Rookie Catcher Julius Cooley who has been nothing short of fantastic in filling in for injured starter Gary Sanchez dodged a bullet with a grade one hamstring pull. He will miss 1-2 weeks and is on the 10 day IL. Rookie Catcher Kellin Deglin was called up and promptly went 2-4 in his MLB debut with an RBI double to boot. Starting pitcher Masahiro Tanaka’s nightmare season continues as he was placed on the 15 day IL with a strained UCL for the second time this season. Tanaka had given up 4 runs in 5 innings before grabbing at his elbow after making a pitch. The Yankees called up pitcher Jordan Montgomery to fill into the rotation in his absence.

The Yankees travel to Pittsburgh to take on the Pirates in a quick 2 game inter-league series. The Pirates are battling with theCubs and Brewers in a tight N.L. Central race.

Rumors are swirling around about the Yankees potentially sending Clint Frazier and Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka to the Braves for disgruntled CF Ender Inciarte. He will be a free agent come seasons end and the Braves have shown zero interest in resigning him. They are looking for a younger CF to replace him and also want a veteran starting pitcher. Tanaka has 2 years remaining on his deal at just under 10MM per season so the Yankees may have to take back a contract the Braves do not want to make this deal work. Inciarte would give the Yankees a fantastic defensive CF and another left handed bat in Yankee Stadium. He is 29 and the Yankees would look to potentially resign him.

Of course this is a rumor and GM Michael Sword denies any talks at all with the Braves.

Clint Frazier has been very solid in his platoon role with veteran Brett Gardner. So it remains to be seen if the Yankees want to rock that boat. Their offense is #1 in all of baseball and it is hard to see why they would pull the trigger at this point. The team seems to be causing again as they have won 8 of their past 10 now and 6 straight.

MAJOR TRADE YANKEES YEAR 4!!!!

In a shocking transaction the Yankees make some bold salary moves as well as getting some veteran help with expiring contracts. The Yankees have big decisions to make with Arbitration eligible players as well as expiring contracts heading into year 5 so GM Michael Sword made a bold trade with the S.F Giants who sit 1/2 game out of first in the N.L. West.

The Yankees Send:

2B DJ LeMahieu (12.4M/YR thru 2023)
SP Masahiro Tanaka (10.1M/YR thru 2022)
C Julio Calderon (C potential 23 years old 88 fielding 80 reaction 86 blocking)
1B Mike Ford (C potential 26 year old)

In exchange for:

2B Joe Panik (Expiring deal 81 overall 29 years old)
CP Mark Melancon (Expiring Deal 34 years old 86 overall)
C Tyler Stephenson (23 year old B Prospect 74 overall under team control thru 2025)

A bold deal. Panik will become the starting 2B for the Yankees in Year 4. Incredible deal....and the Giants came to the Yankees with Panik for Tanaka. GM Sword expanded the deal and the Giants loved getting DJ.

A great deal for both teams on title runs.

GM Michael Sword Busy Inking Core Players To Extensions Before Trade Deadline

The Yankees were pleased to announce some key contract extensions today.

RF Aaron Judge (27 years old) signed a 5 year extension with both a club and player option for a 6th year. 5 Years at 152MM Front Loaded Deal.

1B Greg Bird (27 years old) signed a 5 Year Extension with both a club or player option for a 6th year. 5 Years at 81MM Back Loaded Deal.

SS Trea Turner (26 years old) signed a 5 year extension with both a club or player option for a 6th year. 5 Years at 43MM Back Loaded Deal

SP Alex Meyer (30 years old) signed a 2 year extension no option. 2 Years 6MM

RP Tommy Kahnle was extended on a 1 yr deal paying him 2.7MM

Meyer has been some story for the Yankees. He won the 5th starter spot and has been the Yankees best pitcher in Year 4. He is currently 9-4 with a 3.73 ERA a 1,21 WHIP and has 121 K;s in 118 innings pitched. The Yankees rewarded him with a 2 extension for a very modest 3MM per year. A bargain for the type of pitcher he has developed into at this late stage of is career. He was an afterthought in a deal made in 2018 with the Angels.

The Yankees took care of three key pieces in Judge, Bird and Turner. Gary Sanchez will be going to arbitration yet again. It seems the Yankees are looking at Julius Cooley as their future and Sanchez remains under team control in 2022 and 2023. Stating Pitcher Luis Severino has one more year under team control and will be looking for a massive deal. One tha the Yankees are not in a hurry to ink.

The Yankees most likely will lose several players this upcoming offseason. Names like:

Mark Melancon (just traded for from the Giants)
Brett Gardner if he decides not to hang them up
Joe Panik is he cannot come to terms with a ow number 1 year deal.
Jake Lamb

It will be an interesting pennant run here in Year 4 and an even more interesting off-season heading into Year 5.

Madden 25
NCAA 14
NBA 2K11

Follow me on Twitch
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 07-08-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Re: Armor & Swords MLB The Show 20 Classic/Directional Clean Screen Simulation Slider

Reserved For Classic/Fantasy/Fictional Franchise News
Madden 25
NCAA 14
NBA 2K11

Follow me on Twitch
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 03-11-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Pro

vertman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword

Hello OS Show Nation!!! Wow.....another cycle has passed and we are ready for the final version on the PS4! Amazing how quick it has gone. But each and every year we have gotten improved gameplay, vastly improved fielding animations and ball physics as well as excellent audio and ballpark ambience.

MLB 20 promises to be another subtle advancement from the fantastic MLB 19 in terms of improved tagging, more unique OF breaks on hit balls, and again enhanced throwing and fielding animations.

For all of those who have used my sliders in the past you know the drill. We play with a totally clean screen. No visual aides what so ever, utilizing the Classic pitching and Directional hitting interfaces.

When you dive into my approach at playing MLB The Show keep an open mind. Dare yourself to dream of playing every pitch of every inning so the magic of baseball can unfold for you over the course of this cycle. I can assure you if can make an effort to play at least 120-162 games you will get the full monty of what makes MLB The Show the greatest console sports game on the planet. The ďlittle thingsĒ really shine and you will see things in game 100 that you never saw in the previous 99. Believe me, trust me and dive in. Endure a month long cold spell at the plate. Endure a month long shellacking of your pitching staff as you grasp at reasons of WTF is going on.....that will make that 15 game winning streak, that 10 game hitting streak, that monster run of scoring 50 runs in 6 games, that 3 HR game, hitting for the cycle, getting to the post season, WINNING THE WORLD SERIES that much sweeter.

Trust the settings, trust the dice rolls, and try to get better!

1. Sample size - Please play 25-35 games before jumping off a bridge because you canít hit or pitch. Also be honest with yourself about your skill level and ability. Especially when it comes to hitting. The Show emulates hitting so well. And guess what? It is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. That is why we have guys playing football on Sundays (they cannot hit a 95 MPH fastball nor want any part of standing in the dish facing that kind of heat coming at their head). Adjust pitch speed down or up if you find it too difficult or too easy.

2. Buy into the clean screen approach and embrace this way of playing - Turn off those visual guides, cues and arrows. Do not use guess pitch. It all makes you a lousy player. Learn how to play baseball. Use your eyeís and instinctís. Sit on pitches, have patience at the plate, learn what good pitch sequencing is all about when you are on the bump. This is not an entry level way of playing. Clean screen is hardcore simulation style baseball. Our timing and our IQ coupled with player ratings determines our ultimate success.

Version 1.0 Coming Soon!

Settings:

Batting and Baserunning:

Hitting Difficulty: HOF

Hitting Interface Directional (Timed)

Input Type - Buttons

Plate Coverage Indicator - Off

Camera Shift - Off

In-Play View Offense - Broadcast

Hitting View: Fish Eye (Users Choice)

Ball Trail - Off

Button Interface: Classic

Guess Pitch: Off

Baserunner Interface: Default

Baserunning Decisions: Assist

Sliding Decisions: Assist

Runner Window: Off (Much more challenging and rewarding plus cleaner screen)

Pitching:

Pitching Difficulty: HOF

Pitching Interface: Classic

Pitching View: Broadcast

Pitching Ball Marker: Off ("On" for those that struggle with it off)

Pitch Callout: Off (cleaner screen but turn it on if you like)

Pitch Confidence: On

Pitch Delay: Normal

API: Default

Fielding:

Throwing Interface: Buttons

Throwing Meter: Off

Throwing Difficulty: NA

Throwing Decision: Off

Throw Canceling: On

Fielding Decision: Auto

Defensive Shift: Manual

All Indicators - off

Fielding View Offense: Broadcast

Fielding View Defense: Broadcast

General

Strike Zone: Off

Hot Zones: Off

Warm Up Relievers - On

Balks: Off

Tutorial Tips - Off

Post Game Auto Save - Off

Umpire Balls and Strikes: Personalized

Umpire Close Plays: On

Check Swing Appeals: On

Injuries: On

Ejections: On

Scorebar Display - On

Pitch Select Display - Off

Swing/Pitch Info - Off

Vibration - On (Off for the ultimate challenge) (I play with it on)

Game Log Order - Default

Presentation Options

Presentation Mode - Broadcast

Pre Pitch Cameras - Batting Only

Frequency - High Leverage

Batter Walkup - On

In-game Ticker - On

Closed Captioning - Off

Mode Updates - Occasional

MLB.com Updates - On

Gameplay Sliders

Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity

Human Contact

Human Power

Human Timing

Stride Difficulty

Human Foul Frequency

Human Solid Hits

Human Starter Stamina

Human Reliever Stamina

Human Pitcher Control

Human Pitcher Consistency

CPU Contact

CPU Power

CPU Timing

CPU Foul Frequency

CPU Solid Hits

CPU Starter Stamina

CPU Reliever Stamina

CPU Pitcher Control

CPU Pitcher Consistency

CPU Strike Frequency

CPU Manager Hook

CPU Pickoffs

Fastball Pitch Speed

Off speed Pitch Speed

Fielding Errors Infield

Fielding Errors Outfield

Throwing Errors Infield

Throwing Errors Outfield

Fielder Run Speed

Fielder Reaction

Fielder Arm Strength Infield

Fielder Arm Strength Outfield

Baserunner Speed

Baserunner Steal Ability

Baserunner Steal Frequency

Wind

Injuries

Trade Slider 5 - April

Trade Slider 5 - May

Trade Slider 6 - June

Trade Slider 10 - July,

Trade Slider 5 - August

Trade Slider 5 - September

Trade Slider 5 - October

Trade Slider 10 - November thru February

Trade Slider 7 - Spring Training

Classic Roster Tweaks

Make these tweaks to the HOF set if you are using any classic rosters from the 60ís, 70ís, 80ís or 90ís!

Starter stamina

Reliever stamina

CPU Hook

Base stealer ability

Armorís True Classic Clean Screen Approach

For the ultimate in simulation and challenge here is the way I play The Show with classic pitching vs the CPU.

OK so here is the deal on turning off the R2/pitch types button showing on screen.

All you need to do to see your pitchers repertoire is press right on the d-pad and hit R1 and you will see in order his pitch selection (and you can access this screen to see his strike % throughout the game with his various pitches to see how he is dealing and this eliminates the crutch of the pitch confidence display explained later)

So you press d-pad left and then R1 and see this:

1.4FB

2.SL

3.SPL

4.CHG

That means:

4FB = X = 1 finger

SL = O = 2 fingers

SPL = Triangle = 3 fingers

CHG = Square = 4 fingers

4 Fingers and wiggle means his 5th pitch (R1)

Now you know his best to weakest.

Watch the catcher....if he has 2 fingers showing he wants you to throw a Slider. If he shows 4 fingers he wants a Change up.

I typically allow my catcher to call a lot of my pitches for a sim feel. But I will overrule him when I want (shake him off). If you want to see where he wants it pull back R2 and the location icon will flash. The catcher also will sometimes just pat his mitt and/or point inside or outside and I will just aim to that area of the zone (or out of it). Or again I will shake him off. Remember if your controller rumbles while your picking your location the marker (which you can't see) is out of the strike zone. A slight rumble is barely out of the zone..and strong rumble is way out of the zone. I do start pitches out of the zone like sliders, cutters splitters etc and they come back in based on the break and spin. It takes practice....but it is well worth the reward.

Now if your pitcher has 5 pitches 4 fingers and a wiggle will mean the pitch assigned to the R1 button.

Another cool thing is you no longer see a pitchers confidence in any particular pitch. Again simply press d-pad left and R1 once and you can see each pitch and the strike %. The more strikes you have thrown with a pitch the higher the confidence level will be in that pitch.

When you have played the game as long as I have....you know if your throwing a certain pitch for strikes a lot...they will have a lot more confidence in it. I am at a stage with this game where I don't need many visual aides. But if your not there yet turn the pitch type screen back.....play the game the way your comfortable playing it.

I will tell you though the layers of simulation by pitching this way is amazing and fun. Turning the ball marker off and no controller vibration also truly makes it challenging and realistic. Sometimes your pitches will not go where you want them.

Just like IRL!!!

Give this a shot. I have a feeling you will love it. It will take some getting used to...but after a dozen to a couple of dozen games you will be in the groove.

My good friend and fellow slider guru Josh1977 had some nice input about classic pitching so check this stuff out below as well.

"That said, you definitely have some control over pitch outcome. How long you hold the button matters. It affects pitch speed, command, and the amount of break on breaking pitches. It just isn't 'push a button and go'...there is far more subtlety in it. In fact, if you simply tap the button, it is an excellent way to get shelled".

When pitching in classic, you have about a 1 second time period before you get the controller vibration (i.e. max-effort). The following are my observations...

Max effort pitches (holding the button down till the vibration) result in the following:

More velocity

Less control

A sharper break on breaking pitches

Pitches tend to rise more

Minimum effort pitches (tapping the button) results in the following:

Less velocity

Better control

"Loopier" breaking balls (especially curves/sliders

Pitches sink more (due to lower velo) - changeups will pretty constantly wind up in the dirt

In many cases, an "intermediate" duration is optimal. However, you can vary this from pitch to pitch (i.e. like a pitcher adding/subtracting from the speed of the pitch). This is a tremendous way to keep hitters off-balance to help to avoid them getting solid contact/timing.

This is just a basic overview...I'm sure there are more subtleties involved.

Armor's Directional Hitting Approach

It is all situational for me. So many factors depending on the type of hitter, counts, situation, score etc etc.

First off as far as swing types and counts:

Normal Swing:

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1, 2-2, 3-2

Contact swing

All Pitchers

0-2, 1-2,

2-2, 3-2

Situational - with weaker hitters to make contact and move runners or sacrifice fly.

Power Swing only with my very best power hitters when I typically have no one on with no outs or no one on with 2 outs.

0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-0 (green light) 3-1 counts.

Directional strategy:

I position the LS pre pitch and hold throughout the swing however as you know I do not use the visual aide showing the influence (don't need it).

Dead Pull Contact Hitters if the situation calls for a pull

LS at the 9 o'clock for RH 3 o'clock for left handers

Pull Power Hitters with normal swing

LS position

10/11 o'clock positions for RH hitters

1/2 o'clock for LH hitters

Opposite field strategy for RH hitters so I can hit behind the runner...early in counts and hitter counts (0-0, 1-0, 2-0 or 3-1) LS is at 3'clock for LH hitters at 9 o'clock

If I get into a pitchers count or neutral count (0-1, 0-2, 1-1, 2-2, 3-2) I do not use stick influence but I allow the ball to travel deep so I can either slap it the other way or fight it off.

When I simply want to induce a sac fly or ground ball....LS in 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock respectively in hitters counts only.

So I think you can see my approach. In hitters counts I can be far more selective with my pitches and use the LS influence. Basically depending on what I want to do I am looking for one pitch in one spot on 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, 3-1 counts (I rarely green light on 3-0 unless I am up big or down big or have a gut feeling). When I am in pitchers counts or neutral accounts I am simply using my normal or contact swing with no stick influence as I am in battle mode and trying to work the count.

I hope that gives you a good idea of my approach at the dish.

Armors 30 Team Control Manifesto

So folks I seem to always get a lot of questions around 30 team control, is it for me, how much control do you use, why do you use it etc. So I want to talk about the why, how and pretty much what I do personally with my 30 team control universe in my proper 2017 Yankees Franchise and my Year 3 1987 Yankees Franchise The Quest For Donny Baseball.

Why 30 team control? Well for me it comes down to these 3 key points

1) Lineup integrity and control - I want to make sure lineups are logical and maximizing every teams talent. This is subjective to the player as well. What I may think makes sense, you may do something differently. Always remember it is your universe and you can shape it any way you want.

2) Trade Czar - I love trading. But I hate dumb trades, like real doozy type trades that make no sense for the present or the future. And they do sometimes occur....of course it's totaly IMO. So if I see a trade that fit's my definition of "being bent over with no lube" I will simply reverse it. Now in the past we had a trade delay option. But for programming reasons (it was causing some issues in the trade engine apparently) it was removed on MLB 16. So to reverse a doozy of a deal simply trade the assets back to each respective team. The team that clearly got the strong side of the deal is the one you should propose the trade back to the team that was fleeced.

3) 40 Man Roster Integrity - I make sure I stay on top of each teams 40 man roster in terms of "A" and "B" prospects. Why? I don't want legit "A" and "B" prospects who are developing nicely to be exposed to the "Rule 5" draft. So Before September I make sure (and of course before the regular season starts) I go through each teams 40 and check out their "top" prospects and make sure I get them on the 40 man roster (if they are not on it) to protect them from exposure to the Rule 5 draft. Of course sometimes there is not enough room, because you do need a good mix of veterans at the AAA level to be on call for potential injuries. So this is a GM aspect I like to do. Plus it get's me familiar with every teams minor league system.

So I create one profile for my club with everything set to manual and then I have a profile called "CPU Franchise" which I assign to every team I do not want full control over.

Everything on this CPU Franchise profile is set to Auto except:

Lineups

40 Man Roster

I do not resign the other 29 teams free agents, I do not manage their injuries (I just stay on top of their lineups so if an injury occurs at the big league level and I do not agree with their call-up replacement or lineups with new player inserted I correct it to my liking).

Again, it is about options and the ability to step in when I want/need to. I do not get overwhelmed with doing player training or scouting for the other 29 teams.

I simply just manage those 3 things I mentioned above.

And of course another perk is if I want to switch teams in a franchise at anytime....I can.

So here is my daily method with 30 team control

Simulate all games on the schedule for the day except my game. That way all the scores show up on my ticker when I play my game.

Monthly I will check every team's stat's, see who is performing well etc and I may make some lineup adjustments to other teams to capitalize on players performing better than expected.

Again it is your universe. Have fun with it. And don't over think it

Trades for your team - So one thing I have in place is a house rule where I only trade with other teams for players that are strictly on the trading block until the month of July (when my storylines will take over as I check standings and teams goals, budget etc etc). Unless a team comes to me with an offer with a player/players not on their trading block, I limit myself to that rule. Some exceptions I will make is if I am trying to make a blockbuster multi star player deal and of course I do not fleece the CPU. What's the fun in that? Maybe it is for you and you can do whatever you want, but for me, I like to keep it grounded and more realistic. With that I do have storylines that will occur in the natural progression of my team and I may move a guy because of it. And again.....Trade deadline and Winter meetings I will look at the league and make logical deals and blockbuster trades as well and keep my league fresh and vibrant.

Player Editing Within Your Franchise Universe

So Warmwind has a nice set of house rules that I will begin employing in my off-seasons moving forward (30 team control only). Read below. I think it has great ideaís and will make your franchises far more dynamic!

I do edits, but based on rules.

1. I make position edits based on needs and profiles all the time. There are no consequences for doing this.

2. I'm allowed to trade 1 for 1 between a pitcher's durability and their stamina, but only during the off season. This can coincide with a position edit (RP to SP for example).

3. All players must be allowed to regress without edits if they are having a bad year.

4. For players under 34, I'm allowed to counteract regression, but only if they are having a good year.

5. For players under 36, I'm allowed to counteract half of the regression, but only if they are having a good year.

6. For players of any age, I'm allowed to counteract regression using a trade system, where points from one attribute are traded into another in order to keep it up. This can ONLY be used to counteract regression, cannot be used to boost an attribute higher then where it started the year at. Points taken from Durability are worth double, but it also costs double to keep Durability up.

Have fun with it guys.

Ready to go. Always great reading your franchise posts. Leaning towards getting it Friday but will definitely have it day one. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-10-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
Pro

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

Sounds awesome! Iím not a fan of 30 team control as it sounds very time consuming.

I am however very interested in your play style. Iíve never gone with a clean screen but I will give it a try this year. With the early release Iím planning to play through spring training games using your options with dynamic difficulty.

Just one question. Pitching without a ball marker how can you tell how much break are on the curveballs and sliders? Do you use pitchers ratings as a guideline to movement on breaking balls?

Thanks for sharing all your hard work.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
Sounds awesome! Iím not a fan of 30 team control as it sounds very time consuming.

I am however very interested in your play style. Iíve never gone with a clean screen but I will give it a try this year. With the early release Iím planning to play through spring training games using your options with dynamic difficulty.

Just one question. Pitching without a ball marker how can you tell how much break are on the curveballs and sliders? Do you use pitchers ratings as a guideline to movement on breaking balls?

30 team control is not time consuming. It just allows you to edit anything you want on other teams to limit the dumb AI.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 03-10-2020, 11:17 PM   #7
MVP

dubplate's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith

Clean screen is the way to go as it really immerses you in the game. Been playing this way for a few years now thanks to Armor, and there's no going back.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:21 PM   #8
Pro

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
30 team control is not time consuming. It just allows you to edit anything you want on other teams to limit the dumb AI.

I get that setting it up is relatively easy, but isnít it a pain to babysit the CPU.

I really just want to play my games and take care of my franchise. Iíd be willing to let the CPU take care of itself and live with the consequences.

NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »