Home

PS4 Discussion (MLB The Show 14)

This is a discussion on PS4 Discussion (MLB The Show 14) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: PS4 Discussion (MLB The Show 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I like everything on your list....and a lot of the things in the thread.

One thing...I too would love to see dynamic ratings...with big swings both from year to year and in season, but I would be afraid to have it hinge on performance
-That IMO might lead to too much movement in one direction or the other with a possible tipping point that won't really allow for gaining/losing in the other direction....ie...a .320 hitter has a poor season...loses XX points....again plays poorly....loses ....and so on. While a once in while occurrence of this would be welcome....I'm worried that a system based on performance would lead to too many large swings from too many players
-I would much rather they added some sort of consistency rating and then had an under the hood mechanism that gave players(possibly) big jumps from year to hear and a lot of movement during the season based on performance(and hot/cold streaks)...which would force you to watch your players during the year, but keep it more stable on the year to year movement(but there would still be some big swings in progression/regression from year to year as well)
M.K.
Knight165
That is a great idea.

As for the runaway-train issue you described, a floor or ceiling on variance would be great there. By simply cutting off the maximum variance (and tying that floor/ceiling to Potential or some other attribute such as the "consistency" you hinted at), you could avoid crazy scenarios where David Wright turns into Luis Castillo just because of one really unlucky season.

EG Chris Davis, while a superb hitter, would have a much higher allowance for variance, because he hasn't had a history of consistency, and wasn't even really that good a hitter until this year. So it would not take much (relative to other players) for him to have a season of regression, or two.

But then someone like Miggy, all the bad seasons in the world could not bring him below 95% of current ratings, or whatever number you want to use, because he's been incredibly consistent and has demonstrated a high potential.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
Do you guys think with the PS4, we will see tattoos on players arm in the game?
SMH...
Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #35
Rookie

catswithbats's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
I think the biggest differences we see are going to be in Franchise mode, and in the presentation. For starters, I'd like to see:

- More back and forth trading. Maybe even use 2K's trade finder mode. I'd like to see offers, counter-offers, and some kind of give and take.
I agree!

I'd also love to see three-way trading and the ability to trade more than three players per team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #36
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55
I think just generated pitch counts and faster loading times would go a long way. I want to be able to knock out 3-5 games in a sitting instead of the 1, maybe 2.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 5

I would like to see wind strength and direction effect the flags in real time in some stadiums outfields. Maybe wind could bring trash from stands down onto field and blow around alittle.

Hope ball/bat boys/girls make it into the game.

Rain outs/ double headers please

Three team trading/ trade finders

A return to some sort of newspaper/twitter to get a little more info on your season as you play through it.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #38
Rookie

Dwenny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I like everything on your list....and a lot of the things in the thread.

One thing...I too would love to see dynamic ratings...with big swings both from year to year and in season, but I would be afraid to have it hinge on performance
-That IMO might lead to too much movement in one direction or the other with a possible tipping point that won't really allow for gaining/losing in the other direction....ie...a .320 hitter has a poor season...loses XX points....again plays poorly....loses ....and so on. While a once in while occurrence of this would be welcome....I'm worried that a system based on performance would lead to too many large swings from too many players
-I would much rather they added some sort of consistency rating and then had an under the hood mechanism that gave players(possibly) big jumps from year to hear and a lot of movement during the season based on performance(and hot/cold streaks)...which would force you to watch your players during the year, but keep it more stable on the year to year movement(but there would still be some big swings in progression/regression from year to year as well)
-On the same note, I would like to see players gain/lose attribute points in both directions during their careers.....so you might have a player a 88/85 contact one year....he then goes to 66/65 another and then could go back up to 86/84 the following year. This would keep you from seeing a player begin to lose ratings(age/potential as the cause) and you simply dump him knowing he will never regain that form.

(think David Ortiz from 2007 to '08-'08-'09...and then back to '10 - present)

M.K.
Knight165
It would be interesting to see that if you traded a player that you thought was declining and then jumped back up due to new surroundings. Maybe even trade track to determine if you won the trade or not after time.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #39
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55
I would like to see Pull, Centerfield and opposite field Power attribute categories.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #40
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroehms
I would like to see Pull, Centerfield and opposite field Power attribute categories.

Yes...and editable hot/cold zones.
They would both be nice.

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »