Home

MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview (SI Extra Mustard)

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview (SI Extra Mustard) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:41 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview (SI Extra Mustard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
He's brand new here. The odds are he has no idea there have been issues with The Show's online stability. I've never played The Show on PS3. Had I not been getting on these boards the last 4-5 months to check out new PS4 info, I wouldn't have known about them either. Being naive about online issues when you've never heard about them before is a pretty good excuse, if you ask me.

Anyway, on topic: I usually gloss over these write ups by si.com and espn. They're usually 95% stuff we've already heard and seen. Plus, I doubt these guys play as many video games as the staff at OS. They're not looking for anything I care about.

I've been a member since 2008, but recently created a new account. I'm aware online is an issue (for the ps3). And that's not even what I was referring to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2014, 10:47 AM   #26
MVP

Garrett67's Arena

OVR: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I gotta be honest, if this wasn't a PS4 article I would have sworn that Yankee Stadium shot was from the PS3 version.

Some shots have impressed me so much. Others have not in the slightest.
I agree with this. The grass and dirt look the same.

I'm guessing the whole "individual blades of grass" is for cutscenes.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #27
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67

No, it's there the entire time (at least it is when you're in the batter's box). When you're zoomed out it's a different look though.

I just mean that the picture isn't at the right resolution to pinpoint anything, and although they have rebuilt stadiums, the overall feel of the game is still exactly the same.

But yes, the grass and dirt still have the same color tones, splotchy patterns, etc. That might change in coming years, but for now that kind of hinders the look.

And like I said, for all I know maybe that is a PS3 shot. I'm not being placebo'ed here,.. that could explain why it looks like that.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #28
Banned

Re: King of Swing: Why ‘MLB 14: The Show’ is PS4’s Hottest Sports Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew127
I feel like this article is just hype, none of the features described (besides the graphics and new animations) are specific to the PS4. Also, once again that false statement of 1,000 fan models. I get it...the PS4 is capable of it...but it's not in the game this year for valid reasons. Despite the valid reasons, it doesn't make it any less annoying when false statements are repeated over and over again. Statements like this are misleading for casual readers.
Everyone who has played the game says it is amazing, maybe jusy maybe it is that good?? Animations are a pretty MAJOR thing BTW for a sport title.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #29
Banned

My gues is most people trying to nitpick and bash everything are ps3 owners who don't have or cannot afford a ps4, trying to convince themselves they are not missing out.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett67

Booo, booo wendy testaburger booo. Liar
Old 04-12-2014, 01:22 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingWeazel
My gues is most people trying to nitpick and bash everything are ps3 owners who don't have or cannot afford a ps4, trying to convince themselves they are not missing out.
That's exactly what I'm thinking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #32
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingWeazel
I can somewhat attest to this notion, not for this particular example but for past situations. When World Series Baseball 2K3 came out, I was pissing about the PS2 version not having self-shadowing or 60 FPS while the Xbox version did, etc. When I got an Xbox for sports games the following year, I was ultimately not at all concerned about what the PS2 version got, and I said: "Screw that one, just bring on the goods for the Xbox version!"

Now in this example, you bring up one valid point: I don't own a PS4. I keep debating when I should get one. I could walk into Best Buy right now and buy one, but I just do not see the advantages of owning one at this point. I have yet to beat GTA V, The Last of Us, I haven't even taken GT6 or R&C: Into the Nexus out of their shrink-wrap, and with us being able to take our PS3/Vita franchises of The Show into the PS4 version, I would rather just wait until both versions get more separate from one another.

As I said before, some screenshots really impress me with the amount of visual detail and fidelity that there is on screen. I know what this game can look like in screenshots and YouTube videos on the PS3, and how justice just is not served for it until you actually play it at home, so I really do know what it will be like for some of you to play the PS4 version for the first time (and yeesh, with a DarbeeVision Darblet it just must be jaw-droppingly gorgeous!).

I don't doubt what any reviewers or impressionists say about the visuals. This game is also certainly not just a port. However, there is just enough that keeps it close to the PS3 version that has not changed that can keep me waiting. Things like the grass and dirt (and I know we have blades of grass, but there are other irks I have about it), the same broadcast fielding camera, the same skeletal body, still no transition delay after contact, some night skies that I've just been praying to get right since MLB '09... there are just little things that I've always wanted to see adjust in this franchise, and until they do no amount of power on the PS4 will make me budge just because it has more detail everywhere.

If I owned a PS4, I would be getting this game at midnight. However, if I owned a PS4, I would still be saying the same things. I'm not trying to defend my PS3 or anything like that. I haven't played my PS3 since January. Too much going on in my life to really care, I guess. Rest assured though, I'll probably be getting a PS4 by the end of this year. The next target times are my birthday (June), Black Friday, or Christmas. There will be a lot of factors to determine when it is I'll actually get it though. I know what I'm missing out on, but I also know what I'm holding out on too. I wouldn't label myself as someone who is playing a jealousy card though. That's not my game here at all.

Oh and again, I really am curious as to if that headlining photo is from the PS3 version or PS4 version, no sarcasm. Can anybody clue me into what to look for to be able to distinguish one from the other in that shot? I know the resolution is just too small to be able to tell and a larger resolution would probably give it away, but that aside... does anyone know for sure which version it is and why? (I'm guessing the flags are different in the two versions)
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »