Home

The thing about the PS4 graphics

This is a discussion on The thing about the PS4 graphics within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
Rookie

Resile's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The thing about the PS4 graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mets1986
Well i'd probably say to the OP no, i don't feel The Show is the the best looking sports game on PS3 at all. In fact, to me it's probably the worst. NBA 2K and even some EA sports game like NHL or Madden have at least "smoother" graphics in my view, where The Show is ridden with jaggies galore. Along the Stadium, along the field, around my player.

In fact, i have to tone my sharpness from about 50 to 20 just to make the textures look more acceptable. As far as PS4 it in no way from what i can tell are people watching "streaming" saying there's no leap and bound differences. It's people who now have access to the game who are posting as such.

However, we have to be blatantly honest, Next Gen on ANY game was not going to be leaps and bounds from current gen. I personally saved my money having Xbox and PS3 already, knowing what was being shown to us on many of these games in fact were no real big differences (certainly not worth 4 or 500 dollars).

In a few years maybe, but certainly not now. The crowds may look better, but not much else.

For people purchasing it for PS4 i really hope you're going to enjoy it, and if it's better for you, that's what matters, but for others like myself, i'll be waiting a longer while. In fact 13 may even look a bit smoother in my view.
Why do I get the feeling that you are just trying to justify your decision of sticking with the current gen game?

MLB 14 The Show on Ps4 looks really good so far, and it's definitely a solid base for the dev's to work on in the future. My only concern right now is the night lighting at times, but hopefully that gets worked on.

Don't be fooled, MLB 14 the Show is definitely an upgrade over the PS3 version, and hopefully some of the nuances will be worked out in next-year's version.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
Banned

Mets1986's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resile
Why do I get the feeling that you are just trying to justify your decision of sticking with the current gen game?

MLB 14 The Show on Ps4 looks really good so far, and it's definitely a solid base for the dev's to work on in the future. My only concern right now is the night lighting at times, but hopefully that gets worked on.

Don't be fooled, MLB 14 the Show is definitely an upgrade over the PS3 version, and hopefully some of the nuances will be worked out in next-year's version.
Well respectfully i would say i probably feel the same about Next Gen owners lol. I think they are probably trying to justify 400 dollars and just cannot at least at this point (but they're trying). I had my buddy on Xbox One considering selling it on Ebay to at least try and recover something of what he spent. It's just not there yet with Next Gen.

Look if i felt there were glaring differences in these Consoles i would've been the first the line, as i was with 360 and PS3 over their predecessors (like i was with Colecovision over Intellevision), but certainly you're not going to say you seem the same differences in say PS2 and PS3 as you see in differences now. That's just not at all the case.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #19
Rookie

Resile's Arena

Quote:
Well respectfully i would say i probably feel the same about Next Gen owners lol. I think they are probably trying to justify 400 dollars and just cannot at least at this point (but they're trying). I had my buddy on Xbox One considering selling it on Ebay to at least try and recover something of what he spent. It's just not there yet with Next Gen.

Look if i felt there were glaring differences in these Consoles i would've been the first the line, as i was with 360 and PS3 over their predecessors (like i was with Colecovision over Intellevision), but certainly you're not going to say you seem the same differences in say PS2 and PS3 as you see in differences now. That's just not at all the case.
All I am saying is that the improvements are very much noticeable to me, even through a restrictive stream with regards to this game.

I agree that the game market has been somewhat small right now (and most are old-gen compatible), but I have been VERY happy with my purchase right now. I have put over 200+ hours into Battlefield 4, and I could never go back to 12v12 again. I plan on still picking up NBA 2k14, which is undeniably a NEXT-gen game. Plus, this year should continue to yield even better games.

When do you plan on picking up a next-gen console? I am not sure how much lower they can make the PS4 at least, unless you wait until 2015.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #20
Formerly simon48xbox

The_Balm's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:

I don't see how you have to justify the cost of a PS4 for TS 14. It's a long term (I don't want to say it, but it's all I can think of) investment, the console could easily last 8 or more years. Yes, you could wait to get a PS4, but the price isn't going to go down for a long time (and when it does it'll only be by the cost of a game).

I say just get what you want and have some fun. That's not to say don't wait if you want to go for TS 15, but your reasoning of needing to justify buying a PS4 just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #21
Banned

Mets1986's Arena

Quote:
All I am saying is that the improvements are very much noticeable to me, even through a restrictive stream with regards to this game.

I agree that the game market has been somewhat small right now (and most are old-gen compatible), but I have been VERY happy with my purchase right now. I have put over 200+ hours into Battlefield 4, and I could never go back to 12v12 again. I plan on still picking up NBA 2k14, which is undeniably a NEXT-gen game. Plus, this year should continue to yield even better games.

When do you plan on picking up a next-gen console? I am not sure how much lower they can make the PS4 at least, unless you wait until 2015.
Totally understandable. I personally don't have "any" plans at all at this point in purchasing Next Gen. I'm perfectly happy as it is now. I just have too many friends spending most all their gaming time on current gen even though they purchased Next Gen. They're just not raving about it.

They're "back" on BF4 on 360 and PS3 (i personally don't know if i'd like too many more people on BF more than 12 v 12). Their 'back" on FIFA on current gen. They seem no matter how much they spent, and how "great" Next Gen was supposed to be, "back" on current gen altogether lol, which i think speaks volumes at least for me.

Anyway, enjoy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 2

Quote:
I plan on still picking up NBA 2k14, which is undeniably a NEXT-gen game.
I am a new PS4 console owner as I picked one up last Thursday after work. I downloaded NBA2K14 yesterday and there are a couple things about the NBA2K14 game I don't like, but the graphics are simply outstanding. Tomorrow I will trade my MLB 14 PS3 copy in for the PS4 version. Then I will figure out if the pro-PS4 people are right (buying the PS4 now was the right thing to do) or if the anti-PS4 people are right (should have saved my $$$).

Time will tell.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #23
Rookie

Resile's Arena

Quote:
Totally understandable. I personally don't have "any" plans at all at this point in purchasing Next Gen. I'm perfectly happy as it is now. I just have too many friends spending most all their gaming time on current gen even though they purchased Next Gen. They're just not raving about it.

They're "back" on BF4 on 360 and PS3 (i personally don't know if i'd like too many more people on BF more than 12 v 12). Their 'back" on FIFA on current gen. They seem no matter how much they spent, and how "great" Next Gen was supposed to be, "back" on current gen altogether lol, which i think speaks volumes at least for me.

Anyway, enjoy.
Honestly, I spend probably 40-60% of my time on my PS3 still, due to GTA 5 and all of my free games that I have yet to play (just beat metro:last light, still need to play: Bioshock, payday 2, remember me, uncharted 3, tomb raider, batman arkham city, and a bunch more that I still have in the download list hahha!).

Bf4 on Ps4 is definitely an improvement just from the players, as it allows big maps to actually work like they were intended to (think Caspian on the Ps3 haha). That also stays true for the other titles that you listed, such as Fifa, which also layout a solid foundation for next-gen.

I will tell you, like before, that whenever you possibly decide to get next-gen, it won't disappoint. Especially if you wait until the second go-around for games, which might actually be smarter to do. Now for that lighting in this year's MLB the show during night games on PS4 (ughhh it better be fixed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I am a new PS4 console owner as I picked one up last Thursday after work. I downloaded NBA2K14 yesterday and there are a couple things about the NBA2K14 game I don't like, but the graphics are simply outstanding. Tomorrow I will trade my MLB 14 PS3 copy in for the PS4 version. Then I will figure out if the pro-PS4 people are right (buying the PS4 now was the right thing to do) or if the anti-PS4 people are right (should have saved my $$$).

Time will tell.
Yea, the graphics and fluidity look amazing. I bet you don't like how restricting VC allows you to be, which is one of the main reasons why I haven't picked the game up yet. As for MLB 14 the Show, if they fix the lighting on night games (sorry I know I am a broken record!), then I will definitely pick it up. I haven't played MLB the show since the 2012 version, and I am super excited for the new right field party seats they added into Petco Park, as well as the general upgrade to the crowd and stadium ambiance (and better fans). Hopefully by 2015 they fix the minor quirks, such as uniforms, overhaul player models, add in retractable roofs, better commentary,and generally build on where this great series is at.

My justification for the PS4 was at the time for BF4, and the fact that i'd rather play newer games that I did intend to buy down the road with the best console graphics possible (instead of playing their Ps3 counterpart).

Last edited by Resile; 05-05-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 PM   #24
Banned

Mets1986's Arena

Well whenever it gets to the point i see the same glaring differences say between PS2 and PS3 on current as compared to next gen, i'll certainly buy it. Until then though i really can't justify it. A few years maybe. It really depends on how the Technology evolves over the years. I think Next Gen came a bit too soon.

However, i really just want to point out, my intention was not at ALL to make this "current vs next gen" argument and somehow be somewhat of a party pooper for anybody.

The OP asked if TS 14 on PS3 was the best looking sports game out on current gen, and i just totally disagree with that. We mentioned NBA 2K as just one example (on PS3 as compared to TS 14).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »