Home

Classic running

This is a discussion on Classic running within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Classic running

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchm00
I am having an awful time doing something as simple as Advance all. What is going on. I hit in the gap so i press L1 for Advance All and they dont go...i press it again and they go but get caught in pickle or tagged out. Why isn't it smooth? I should be able to press L1 and the runners keep rounding the bases right?
I think I got it but it's still a bit quirky. I think i was tapping the R1 and you have to hold it. you can't let go of it before all your runners reach their last bag or that slower one will stop at the bag it seems.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #18
Banned

jergiants's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskinsfan26
I can't figure out how to steal a base for the life of me. Is it L1, L2? I feel like both have worked, but my runners don't always run when I press them?
You hold L2 then tap the corresponding base button where the runner is.

There is a control manual in the game that can help you...
Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #19
Rookie

aldon_47's Arena

OVR: 2

Yeah, Ive had the same problem, at least through the first few games of the season. It would especially happen in RBI situations and the batter would only get to first when he could have had at least a stand up double. I think I saw someone else mention it here but it does help to hold the base button down a bit longer, whether that does anything or not, I dont know.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 4

I haven't had any problems with it. I figured out years ago the easiest way to run the bases is to never use the send all buttons and instead pick each runner and use the corresponding dpad button to the base you want them to run to. Using send all always causes them to hesitate rounding the bases. For instance if I have runners on first and second and hit one in the gap I immediately hit triangle and down on the dpad then circle and left on the dpad and then x and up on the dpad. Then if I think I can score first to home I'll hit triangle and down on the dpad after he rounds second. It's actually pretty easy once you get used to it.

As for stealing, I have always just used the left stick and pointed it to the runner I wanted to steal and hit L2.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 AM   #21
Banned

milldaddy's Arena

i switched it to auto baserunning. only way i can run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2014, 09:17 AM   #22
Rookie

CornHoller's Arena

Interesting comments.

Here's my take so far.

Stealing: I read on another post that tapping L2 ( you'll feel a slight vibration if you did it right) - will send the runner without the hassle of getting a leadoff - this works like a charm. If you have more than 1 runner on base and you tap - they all will run.

I find the taking a leadoff is simply way out of line. They usually get picked off. Way too many pickoffs and way too many throw's to first on dropped 3rd strikes. Probably because I'm sucker for low balls. I may try the hitting view on an angle as I use dead center now and I swing on just about every
low ball that looks like it's in the zone.

Baserunning - You have to mash L1 and stay on it. The faster you hit the runner button and the corresponding base you want him to run to the faster they run the bases. I have noticed that as soon as you release L1 if you are advancing all - I THINK the assist mode kicks in and will control baserunners causing the situation where runners are stopping. I could be wrong.

I usually send runners by holding the runner button then tapping the corresponding base I want them to run to. This works but I frequently send guys to 2nd with a throw at the plate with my hitter perched on 1st base. I'm too slow command wise hitting the 2nd base button and home plate d-pad and then doing the same for the hitter.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornHoller
Interesting comments.

Here's my take so far.

Stealing: I read on another post that tapping L2 ( you'll feel a slight vibration if you did it right) - will send the runner without the hassle of getting a leadoff - this works like a charm. If you have more than 1 runner on base and you tap - they all will run.

I find the taking a leadoff is simply way out of line. They usually get picked off. Way too many pickoffs and way too many throw's to first on dropped 3rd strikes. Probably because I'm sucker for low balls. I may try the hitting view on an angle as I use dead center now and I swing on just about every
low ball that looks like it's in the zone.

Baserunning - You have to mash L1 and stay on it. The faster you hit the runner button and the corresponding base you want him to run to the faster they run the bases. I have noticed that as soon as you release L1 if you are advancing all - I THINK the assist mode kicks in and will control baserunners causing the situation where runners are stopping. I could be wrong.

I usually send runners by holding the runner button then tapping the corresponding base I want them to run to. This works but I frequently send guys to 2nd with a throw at the plate with my hitter perched on 1st base. I'm too slow command wise hitting the 2nd base button and home plate d-pad and then doing the same for the hitter.

I hope this makes sense.
Wait a second, I'm confused . when you say "tapping the corresponding base", do you mean the x, y...etc buttons or the dpads? And, when you say the base you want them to go to, how do you distinguish between the lead base runner vs the second/third and hitter? If you could give a scenario of runners on 1st and 2nd and the batter hits a line shot to the gap. I usually just hold down R1 and make them all advance but I too have the problem of sometimes leaving the hitter on 1st in that situation.

thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #24
Rookie

Also, in the manual it talks about Sliding. looking below is there a difference between the two?

Straight (Feet First) – RS (down)
Break Up Double Play – RS + down

Is RS(down) different than RS + down?

thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »