Home

The umps on variable are dreadful

This is a discussion on The umps on variable are dreadful within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Pro

markprior22's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The umps on variable are dreadful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
I am one of the few people that believe the real MLB should do away with having the home plate umpires call the balls and strikes. Let the technology handle it and have the umpire still be there to read the recordings and make the other calls at the plate.
I'm with ya buddy. We have the technology to do it...let's not keep the status quo because it's always been that way. The worst statement I hear from opponents of this is "Human error should be part of the game." Yes, human error made by the players playing the game. We had to have human error from officials in the past because we had no options. Let's move on and let the players decide the outcomes as much as possible.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Would love to turn it off! Except I have tried all of the settings for many years and none of them call the strike zone properly. They all make blatant mistakes, no matter which setting you select. Very frustrating. I hate seeing a pitch catch none of the black and be totally in the strike zone and get called a ball.
Man I've got the MLB package and thus watch a TON of games, umps do that ish ALL THE TIME. When it happens in game, it just adds an extra layer, "man, now the ump is pinching me" is just another "situation" in the sense of "the first rule of baseball is know the situation."

Quote:
I am one of the few people that believe the real MLB should do away with having the home plate umpires call the balls and strikes. Let the technology handle it and have the umpire still be there to read the recordings and make the other calls at the plate.
I can't say I disagree. Are you saying that when you turn this off they still make mistakes? Because that's exactly the opposite of what the description says it does. That's BS. If you turn it off they should call the game perfectly.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I pitched my entire life and love it. Part of the game to me

I don't understand the complaints as you can turn it off

Sent from my iPhone 5

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
Your pitcher's BB/9 stat, as well as the control stat for each individual pitch he throws, affects the end location of any pitches thrown regardless of how accurate you are with the meter.
Ah, really? I didn't realize that.

Then what's the point of the meter? The meter moves a a different rate for each pitcher and depending on confidence, game scenarios, etc. My thoughts were that the control stat for each individual pitch was really how good he threw that pitch...like a guy with a highly rated fastball threw upper 90s, or a highly rated curve ball threw one with significant break.

Either way, in my eyes, which I guess I was wrong, regardless of anything if I stop the pitch meter on the line that would dictate my control...how far I let the meter run on the way up would dictate velocity and/or movement.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Some tend to be Eric Gregg while others then to be Ed Rapuano (older crowd will know the two. )
Old 05-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Would love to turn it off! Except I have tried all of the settings for many years and none of them call the strike zone properly. They all make blatant mistakes, no matter which setting you select. Very frustrating. I hate seeing a pitch catch none of the black and be totally in the strike zone and get called a ball.

What technology? The "pitch trackers" the tv networks use are even more inaccurate than an umpire.

Interpreting the strike zone is an art form, for the umpire, the catcher, and the batter. Everybody has their own little tricks to influence the call, from framing a bad pitch to bending at the knees to illustrate a "low" pitch.

What the game needs is umpire accountability. No more of this "be a good umpire or you won't get to go to the postseason". If an umpire makes a blatantly bad call, they should be fined. If you have too many fines or bad calls on your record, you're fired or sent down to umpire minor league games.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeszcz
Ah, really? I didn't realize that.

Then what's the point of the meter? The meter moves a a different rate for each pitcher and depending on confidence, game scenarios, etc. My thoughts were that the control stat for each individual pitch was really how good he threw that pitch...like a guy with a highly rated fastball threw upper 90s, or a highly rated curve ball threw one with significant break.

Either way, in my eyes, which I guess I was wrong, regardless of anything if I stop the pitch meter on the line that would dictate my control...how far I let the meter run on the way up would dictate velocity and/or movement.
Although I agree with you, it just doesn't seem to be the way it works. I use pure analog, which can be hard depending on an individual pitcher's wind up (just like meter, it changes the timing of delivery), and it's frustrating when I'm hitting my spots on the analog meter but not with the actual pitch.

But, that's baseball. If I hit all of my pitches and never struggled, the games wouldn't be fun anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
Although I agree with you, it just doesn't seem to be the way it works. I use pure analog, which can be hard depending on an individual pitcher's wind up (just like meter, it changes the timing of delivery), and it's frustrating when I'm hitting my spots on the analog meter but not with the actual pitch.

But, that's baseball. If I hit all of my pitches and never struggled, the games wouldn't be fun anymore.
Haha, I tried analog pitching and I didn't know what the fork was going on (this is my first year with TS). Meter pitching works for me, don't get me wrong. There are just those times where it's a tight spot and I really need a pitch, feel like I execute and I miss my spot for some reason. Like you say though, that's baseball and the variability keeps it fresh. And it's not like there aren't pitches that I haven't executed where I get a call that shocks the hell out of me (for the good).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »