Home

MLB 14 The Show: Which Pitching/Hitting Control Interface is the Most Realistic?

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show: Which Pitching/Hitting Control Interface is the Most Realistic? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 10
Batting has always been the one huge improvement needed. The timing isn't responsive as you need it. Older games got this down. I don't know how but it worked. Ï wish the show got hiring right. Pitching using analog is intense. Pulse is a little exaggerated because you can't really control the pulse+stick. With the better analog sticks on ps4 analog pitching control is better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 7
Zone plus timing for hitting, and Analog pitching. If you haven't tried Analog pitching, you really are missing out on one of the true gameplay joys of this game.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:05 AM   #27
MVP

KMRblue1027's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Which Pitching/Hitting Control Interface is the Most Realistic?

Meter for pitching just feels right, tried using pulse and get slightly more realistic numbers but I get a weird twitchy feeling in my fingers waiting to time the pulse no idea why.

For hitting I use timing. I've been trying to use analog every year since 2011 but I simply cannot handle the stride timing so far. It's odd that I'm a great player at things like Battlefield or rhythm games but a simple back and forth motion continues to best me.

PS4 Games:
Battlefield 4
MLB: The Show (Duh)
Destiny
Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #28
Pro

OVR: 9
Classic for pitching, timing for hitting.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 14 The Show: Which Pitching/Hitting Control Interface is the Most Realistic?

I use Zone for hitting and meter for pitching.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 13
Most realistic or most fun? I would think analog batting would be most realistic, but, as others have noted, I would suck to the point of it not being fun, so I go with timing.

As to the issue of how much human factor should matter, I have always favored the approach of the Front Page Sports series (which, amazingly, has yet to be matched by any sports game in this regard) - there were no "difficulty" settings because players actually played to their ratings. If the game was too hard, edit ratings or get better players. This notion that human factor should be the primary driving force escapes me for a game with a franchise mode. If I can win titles with crappy players, then what is the point of building a team from the ground up? Having human factor as the primary force works for online gaming (which I totally avoid), but it can kill a franchise mode.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #31
Rookie

tanchl's Arena

OVR: 2
I agree 100% with Heroesandvillians. I want results dependent
on ratings and not my digital dexterity. I would be happy if we had "auto-hitting".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #32
#OwnTheFuture

Benz87's Arena

OVR: 8

This year I've been torn between Zone and Timing hitting. I like timing because I feel it allows the attributes of my players to have more meaning and player a larger factor in their performance. I also use Timing because often I will struggle to adjust to pitches if I start my PCI in the wrong location with Zone hitting. The downfall that continually leads to my reverting back to Zone hitting though is my players missing too many meat pitches. Often, I will get a fastball down the middle that I was sitting on, only to have my batter completely miss or make poor contact on. This makes staying with timing hitting difficult knowing my batter should have crushed the pitch and would have done so on Zone hitting. If I were to use Zone though, i often miss out on inside or high fastballs that I should be getting a piece of because I struggle to adjust mid-pitch.

I've been using the Pitch Meter since 2006 when I started playing the show. I tried classic pitching for a bit last year but felt I had little control over the velocity or accuracy. I use a hybrid of Armor & Swords(hitting) and TNK's(pitching & fielding) sliders.

Last edited by Benz87; 05-21-2014 at 02:58 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »