Home

Tips on How to Hit

This is a discussion on Tips on How to Hit within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Tips on How to Hit

Some things I've noticed...

#1: 90% of the 'hammered' pitches for home runs tend to be fastballs over the middle or just slightly away from the hitter. Same goes for hanging breaking balls. Those are the pitches to try and target anytime in the count.

#2: Learn to read pitches and locations. Develop a feel and recognition of pitches that will be off the plate and don't swing at them (Note: As a result of tip 1, I do get fooled a ton on breaking balls that start at the belt then break low usually striking out b/c I'm in 2-2 or 3-2 counts). Along with this, keep track of locations that allow you to hammer pitches. Take strikes if the pitch is in a location that you absolutely know you can't do anything with. At worst, you drive up the pitch count and possibly get a better pitch to hammer.

#3: Know the talent you're hitting with. Trying to power swing expecting HRs from a 35 power guy won't amount to much if he has a 77 contact rating. I'd try a normal swing or contact swing with that type of hitter.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

One thing that changed MLB The Show for me is a hitting restriction I put on myself.

To start off, I play all star zone hitting.

The rule is, as long as there are 0 strikes in the count, I only have the controller in my right hand. In other words, I can't move the PCI, which forces me to only swing at meat type pitches early in the count. So if the count is 0-0, 1-0, 2-0, or 3-0, I have to be very selective and only swing at stuff in the middle of the plate or I'll whiff or get myself out.

This has really helped me stay patient and get ahead in counts more often, as well as stop swinging at pitcher's pitches and getting myself out on the 1st or 2nd pitch of the AB. The only disadvantage of this is misidentifying a pitch then not being able to move the PCI to reach it and hitting a pop up or weak grounder. But overall, my hitting in The Show in general has improved significantly since I started doing this.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Rookie

Camera is another thing, use one where u can see good low pitches. Pitch speed slider is important too. Adjust slider lower for many late swings, or work on your timing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #12
Banned

HouseKeepinItReal's Arena

A good tip from the OP.

Stop taking the first pitch for the sake of taking the first pitch. This is the same for taking pitches and being patient. Do not be patient for the sake of being patient.

Learn to recognize a fastball right out of a pitchers hand.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by piffbernd
Camera is another thing, use one where u can see good low pitches. Pitch speed slider is important too. Adjust slider lower for many late swings, or work on your timing.
What camera do you suggest?
Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Rookie

dvazquez190's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseKeepinItReal
A good tip from the OP.

Stop taking the first pitch for the sake of taking the first pitch. This is the same for taking pitches and being patient. Do not be patient for the sake of being patient.

I feel too many people do this and hamper themselves. You can throw away an at bat just by being too patient. You should only take pitches that are out of the strike zone or pitches that you can't handle. You don't have to swing at every strike (Unless you have 2 strikes and are in protect mode). Some strikes are what I like to call pitchers strikes. Strikes that are in great locations that are meant to either look at or hit weakly. Learn to swing at the strikes that you can hammer.

Something I agree with in theory that another poster mentioned but not everything about it is learn who you're hitting with. That I completely agree with. If he is a speed guy use his speed to get on base. Don't try and hit the ball out of the ball park. What I disagree with is the power swing part. I use power swing with everyone. Depending on the count. Obviously more so with power hitters than with like he/she mentioned with 35 power guys. That doesn't mean you can't use power swing with weaker guys. If the count is in your favor, you're looking for a certain pitch, and you get that pitch don't be afraid to use the power swing. You are going to hit the ball with authority and if it finds a gap you can really do some damage. Not to say you can't do that with X but I find no matter who I use when I use [] on a pitch with good timing and I have the PCI in the right location I hit the ball much harder than I would with X. It all comes down to timing as well.

Glad to see others get involved with this and provide some more tips. I'm also glad to see people voicing the issues they are having.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:15 PM   #15
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm not the greatest hitter, but what seemed to help me a bit was the hitter's eye. Helps with release points and seeing what a pitch is coming out of pitcher's hand. Keep your eyes on that hand and what point it's coming out of that hurler's hand.
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseKeepinItReal

I've never figured out how to do this. How can you tell fastball vs change vs slider out of the pitchers hand? I'm usually late in recognizing the pitch -- any suggestions?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »