Home

The problem with patching "problems" based on user feedback

This is a discussion on The problem with patching "problems" based on user feedback within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 31
Re: The problem with patching "problems" based on user feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
My source is common sense.....
http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-batting.shtml

That is 0.26737 % of hits are bunts.
I'll give you that 50 % of attempts are successful and I'll also give you that some of those are sac bunt attempts that didn't result in an out as freebies.
So just over 1/2 of a percent of AB's are bunt attempts(for hits)
Sounds like all the rage among MLB hitters.

CPU hitters still attempt bunts.
You have to tell your batters to bunt 0.53474 % of the time.
That's an insane amount of effort.
You better get a nap in before your next game.

M.K.
Knight165
Why did you have get aggressive in your post? The facts made your point just fine.

I agree bunts for hits are super rare and I always think MLB The Show is a game designed to be played with a joystick even though they offer MOM (manage only mode) it really isn't tuned for it.

I'd suggest OOTP 16 for the OP if the Show frustrates him too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
This is a pretty unnecessary sentence. He wasn't asking anything of the sort.

I don't understand his idea of the CPU deciding user bunt rates and how the devs adjusted that, but I don't think he's looking for anything out of the ordinary when it comes to his own team bunting.

As he said, MLB players are rarely, if ever, given a sign for a drag bunt.
Good to see someone else understands the game of baseball. It is not a game breaker, still a fantastic game but an example of what happens sometimes in this game - the squeaky wheel theory.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil. Sometimes it seems the devs patch or change the game just to get people to shut up and the result is a move away from reality.

Another example is the change to progression. There have been numerous threads discussing how this has resulted in problems in future years and it seems to be a direct result of people pushing hard for changes to progression. Those people were placated but now there are lengthy threads about how to find a workaround for broken progression as a result of the squeaky wheel getting the oil.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy
Why did you have get aggressive in your post? The facts made your point just fine.

I agree bunts for hits are super rare and I always think MLB The Show is a game designed to be played with a joystick even though they offer MOM (manage only mode) it really isn't tuned for it.

I'd suggest OOTP 16 for the OP if the Show frustrates him too much.
You agreed with his numbers? His numbers don't include bunt attempts which go foul, bunt attempts which are missed and result in a strike, bunt attempts which result in an error, bunt attempts which result in an out etc.

It doesn't ruin the game but the larger point is patching or changing the game just to placate someone who may be more interested in having the game play as they wish than in replicating reality. Every time they do this they move away from reality. Do it often enough and a few small issues add up.

OOTP doesn't have graphics and probably never will because they don't have the staff to do it. I've never played it but my impression is it's more for simmers than people who want to use manage mode. Good at what it does but not my cup of tea.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #28
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

I can assure you the developers do not patch something just to shut people up. Bunting was a legitimate issue for those who play the actual games. Sorry it messed up mom but at least u can still instruct your plasters to bunt.

And I honestly thought this thread was a serious issue you were having, but based on this post, it seems this was just a hidden attempt to call out the developers.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I can assure you the developers do not patch something just to shut people up. Bunting was a legitimate issue for those who play the actual games. Sorry it messed up mom but at least u can still instruct your plasters to bunt.

And I honestly thought this thread was a serious issue you were having, but based on this post, it seems this was just a hidden attempt to call out the developers.
Even I have to agree with this point. There was an issue with bunting before the patch. While the issue is still there, the patch definitely alleviated it, so I don't think the developers released the patch just to shut people up.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
You agreed with his numbers? His numbers don't include bunt attempts which go foul, bunt attempts which are missed and result in a strike, bunt attempts which result in an error, bunt attempts which result in an out etc.

It doesn't ruin the game but the larger point is patching or changing the game just to placate someone who may be more interested in having the game play as they wish than in replicating reality. Every time they do this they move away from reality. Do it often enough and a few small issues add up.

OOTP doesn't have graphics and probably never will because they don't have the staff to do it. I've never played it but my impression is it's more for simmers than people who want to use manage mode. Good at what it does but not my cup of tea.
It has a manage mode and it plays extremely well. All I am saying is video games are mostly designed for people to control the players. Even though the Show has an option for manage only mode it likely has its issues when essentially it is CPU vs CPU.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »