Home

Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show

This is a discussion on Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #9
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13
GOD NO!

Leave War and everything else sabermertic out of the game. I'm so ready for this faze to fizzle out....

Crazed fans are making some of these statistics a joke...
I absolutely love the numbers part of baseball, but I get where that's not everbody's cup of joe, so I'd wholly expect scea to give it an off/on option.
#44Syracuse
Old 08-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
D13
Pro

D13's Arena

OVR: 6
Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
They arent going away anytime soon. Just because you dont understand them doesnt mean they shouldnt be a part of the game.

Who said I didn't understand them? Maybe you should think before typing. Bringing sabermetrics into a baseball VIDEO game would turn some of the "casua" fans of the show away honestly because THEY don't get them.

Don't judge my knowledge of the game and statistics based off a post of me stating I don't want these useless stats in a VIDEO game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13
Who said I didn't understand them? Maybe you should think before typing. Bringing sabermetrics into a baseball VIDEO game would turn some of the "casua" fans of the show away honestly because THEY don't get them.

Don't judge my knowledge of the game and statistics based off a post of me stating I don't want these useless stats in a VIDEO game.

That fact that you call them useless shows you dont understand them. The game already has some. Why arent all these casual fans leaving now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Great point, Bob.

WAR is I believe is the most important Saber stat; how could it be incorporated intelligently into the game where, if you choose to review it, can be extremely beneficial?

I mean, we have ZiPS and Steamer projections which forecast a player's WAR - I think that would be useful (see the potential vs. actual).
What if we also had WAR per 162 games just like how K/9 and BB/9 are used?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
That fact that you call them useless shows you dont understand them. The game already has some. Why arent all these casual fans leaving now?
Sabermetrics isn't useless, D13.

Several teams, including the Astros, Cubs, Red Sox, A's, etc. utilize it. In fact, Dan O'Dowd (former Rockies GM) did an entire spot on MLB Network talking during the deadline about how he looked at the WAR of the players he would trade and receive back...whether it's a good value.

That said though, I see your point and I mentioned that maybe it shouldn't be the most prevalent stats but still visible and useful for users that want it.

I mean...if I want to trade a relief pitcher that has a 1.25 WHIP and 4.15 ERA but see his FIP is actually 2.75 with a good K/9 and a ridiculously high BABIP, it may make me think twice.

Or, it makes me look at Andrelton Simmons a bit different as his bat is fringe average but his defense and range (UZR, DRS) make up for it to make his WAR much better than the "casual" statistics of fielding percentage and errors.

With Sabermetrics, there are some stats that I find utterly unnecessary; other stats are quite valuable.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #14
Rookie

Before we even get to Sabermetrics I'd like to just be able to see how many SB a player has in his career on his player card.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

Yeah, I wanna see career stats for things like SB, 2B, 3B, R

But, as a growing fan of WAR (not so much other metrics), I'd like to see war in. Player Efficiency is in NBA 2K, so why not WAR in The Show?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #16
Rookie

TomZeWolf's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13

What in the world do Sabermetrics have to do with whether a "casual" fan enjoys the game or not?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »