Home

Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show

This is a discussion on Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I really am not trying to sound condescending when I say this, but isn't part of the fun for you stat-headed types inputting the scores and generating the numbers yourself? Can't you just make an exel spreadsheet and generate your own WAR by inputting linescores? I guess the data entry is a pain in the rear.
I don't if I'd call it "fun", but I do track it, mostly for guiding when/if I need to adjust sliders and which ones.

Data entry is a pain in the rear, though, especially if you need/want to compare to your franchise's current environment. You'd have to get all the team stats, etc...and hope The Show actually has what you need. As mentioned - defense is particular is sad. Range Factor and Errors don't get it done.

That said, I'm less big on sabermetric stats showing up on the player cards than I am sabermetric principles being in the actual game engine. Stuff like ball-in-play profiles, pitches set using pitch f/x data, having BABIP concepts influencing the results of the game engine, ratings on players set so that areas of the field are harder to defend out of the box, things like that.

That's more my issue with the game and where knowing about sabermetrics annoys me about some aspects of the game play. I don't mind running numbers myself - just wish there was a far better way to see what the LEAGUE was doing rather than having to grab all the team stats.

And, yes, I wish the game would let you export stats to a CSV or XLS file. Oh god yes I'd take that.

Last edited by KBLover; 08-08-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #26
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I don't if I'd call it "fun", but I do track it, mostly for guiding when/if I need to adjust sliders and which ones.

Data entry is a pain in the rear, though, especially if you need/want to compare to your franchise's current environment. You'd have to get all the team stats, etc...and hope The Show actually has what you need. As mentioned - defense is particular is sad. Range Factor and Errors don't get it done.

That said, I'm less big on sabermetric stats showing up on the player cards than I am sabermetric principles being in the actual game engine. Stuff like ball-in-play profiles, pitches set using pitch f/x data, having BABIP concepts influencing the results of the game engine, ratings on players set so that areas of the field are harder to defend out of the box, things like that.

That's more my issue with the game and where knowing about sabermetrics annoys me about some aspects of the game play. I don't mind running numbers myself - just wish there was a far better way to see what the LEAGUE was doing rather than having to grab all the team stats.

And, yes, I wish the game would let you export stats to a CSV or XLS file. Oh god yes I'd take that.
Thats where a legit Online Franchise would come in handy. Make it exactly like Madden or NCAA was. Pretty sure you could export stuff from the website for NCAA. Never tried for Madden.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #27
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Sabermetrics is entrenched within baseball; as I mentioned before, several teams are adopting its stats and philosophies more and more.

I don't have any statistics handy but I'm certain that the largest percentage play the franchise mode. I think it's necessary for the development team to have such statistics available...at least in some capacity.

I mean...in franchise mode, we're acting as GM right? Real-life GMs use Sabermetrics to determine the fate of a player (whether to promote, keep or trade). I said before I think if they could partner with FanGraphs and develop it a way, maybe, where it's a SEPARATE screen/function within the franchise, it would really be a boost to the game.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #28
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

I assume OOTP has them right? Specifically WAR.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Yeah OOTP has a lot of them, including WAR.

Also has ZR - which is interesting. Wonder how that's calculated in the game.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #30
Pro

OVR: 24

I want to point out just for reference that we, as users, cannot calculate WAR based on the information provided in The Show. There is a great deal of information missing, from park factors to defensive evaluations.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I want to point out just for reference that we, as users, cannot calculate WAR based on the information provided in The Show. There is a great deal of information missing, from park factors to defensive evaluations.

Defense is the hardest one for me because all we have is range factor.

Park Factors barely exist unless they relate to dimensions - and I can always "borrow" irl MLB's.

But defense...yeah...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #32
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Why couldn't The Show calculate WAR?

There are a finite number of results which can occur in the game, something I'm certain the devs can thus attribute a given metric for defensive numbers, FIP, etc. as well as any standardization necessary for park factors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »