Home

Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show

This is a discussion on Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:19 AM   #33
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Sabermetrics & Future MLB: The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Why couldn't The Show calculate WAR?

There are a finite number of results which can occur in the game, something I'm certain the devs can thus attribute a given metric for defensive numbers, (URC IS A MORON), etc. as well as any standardization necessary for park factors.
It can eventually. I believe he was talking about us not being able to calculate it ourselves like someone said earlier.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #34
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

This... has become a really awesome and informative thread.

To this point I've usually scouted my players in franchise based on "feel". I've slowly incorporated some minor statistical scouting techniques, but for the most part it's done based on casual observations made during spring training/throughout the season. That's part of the reason why I was of the opinion that adding in sabermetrics shouldn't be a priority (especially over things like closing that darn roof during cold weather at the Rogers Center).

Now I'm not saying that I've changed that opinion, but this thread has definitely swayed me. I'm learning lots of cool stuff I didn't know and while I may never use sabermetrics for my franchise, I have to admit it would be really cool to have it there to use if I wanted to. It's yet another aspect of my franchise I can really dive deep into and end up learning something really cool about real life baseball in the process.

Lets keep this thread going, I'm eager to learn more.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #35
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Now I'm not saying that I've changed that opinion, but this thread has definitely swayed me. I'm learning lots of cool stuff I didn't know and while I may never use sabermetrics for my franchise, I have to admit it would be really cool to have it there to use if I wanted to. It's yet another aspect of my franchise I can really dive deep into and end up learning something really cool about real life baseball in the process.

Lets keep this thread going, I'm eager to learn more.
I believe this is the impact this game can have on users...whether they're into Sabermetrics or not. If it's incorporated in a way that users can SEE that their favorite (aging) player which has an 84 OVR has only a 0.4 WAR thru July while the 77 OVR prospect player has a 3.5 WAR in the minors should warrant a call up. This type of situation would really prove the value of Sabermetrics...then again, users could also rely on "old-school" tactics and see a player's value and make judgment calls from there.

I personally want to learn more about Sabermetrics because it's BASEBALL! I love baseball and I always want to know more about it...if I can see how a given stat can sway or vary depending on performance would really show me which stats I should watch.

As I mentioned about Andrelton...if he has a .550 OPS but then again, he has 20 DRS (defensive runs saved) and a hugely positive UZR (defensive zone rating) and WAR, it would make me reconsider benching him because his defense is helping the team and thus making him a positive player.

Last edited by Speedy; 08-09-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #36
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I believe this is the impact this game can have on users...whether they're into Sabermetrics or not. If it's incorporated in a way that users can SEE that their favorite (aging) player which has an 84 OVR has only a 0.4 WAR thru July while the 77 OVR prospect player has a 3.5 WAR in the minors should warrant a call up. This type of situation would really prove the value of Sabermetrics...then again, users could also rely on "old-school" tactics and see a player's value and make judgment calls from there.

I personally want to learn more about Sabermetrics because it's BASEBALL! I love baseball and I always want to know more about it...if I can see how a given stat can sway or vary depending on performance would really show me which stats I should watch.

As I mentioned about Andrelton...if he has a .550 OPS but then again, he has 20 DRS (defensive runs saved) and a hugely positive UZR (defensive zone rating) and WAR, it would make me reconsider benching him because his defense is helping the team and thus making him a positive player.
These are some reasons why I would like to see the sabermetrics side be implemented somehow into the game, despite knowing very little about sabermetrics myself.

I think it would be a nice shakeup to have the option of turning off the 'overall' system, so to speak, and use stats and such to make decisions like from what I hear is done with OOTP. There's a toggle for Options already; Beginner and Experienced. I'm sure there's a way they could incorporate it in there somehow as an 'experienced' option so people can choose which way they would prefer to play.

Now that people are generating interest in the subject, it'd be interesting to see what the devs would say about the possibility of it in the near future.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
While some sabrmetric stats such as WAR is probably a good thing for "The Show", count me one of those that doesn't necessarily need sabrmetric stats. But then again, I'm down for anything that will make the game better.
When Jason Heyward was traded for Shelby Miller I saw a discussion regarding Heyward's WAR.

For a 3 year period during Musial's prime he had a lower WAR than Heyward. Why? Because Heyward got to a few more balls in the outfield than Musial and WAR assigns a contrived formula for valuing defense. Only Sabermetrics adherents would assert Heyward was a better ballplayer than Musial.

Count me as not a fan of Sabermetrics.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #38
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
When Jason Heyward was traded for Shelby Miller I saw a discussion regarding Heyward's WAR.

For a 3 year period during Musial's prime he had a lower WAR than Heyward. Why? Because Heyward got to a few more balls in the outfield than Musial and WAR assigns a contrived formula for valuing defense. Only Sabermetrics adherents would assert Heyward was a better ballplayer than Musial.

Count me as not a fan of Sabermetrics.
Jason Heyward's WAR wasn't higher than Musial, that's easy to look up. At least not until Musial was in his mid 30s.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eywaja01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...usiast01.shtml
Old 08-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #39
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

Stats and advanced stats is one area that NBA 2K does a better job than The Show in. I'd be very happy if The Show would add a description as to what each Sabermetric means.

Also, it would be cool if they could add bench mark numbers for all of the statistics in descriptions. Like .300 is excellent for batting average and .500 for slugging. I would learn so much from just a description and benchmark numbers.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #40
Rookie

FSanchez12's Arena

OVR: 2

I remember 2K had it a couple years ago, but they really focused on WPA and other team related sabremetrics rather than WAR and others. I think having something that would calculate that statistic in a video game would be interesting to say the least.

I like to think about it this way, you could have player A who is having a career year, and you make a deadline deal for him based on his sabremetric value. Unless you're playing straight sim, if you can't hit worth jack with him it doesn't matter what his WAR is it's not going to predict success under your control.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »