Home

The Strongest and Weakest parts of your game

This is a discussion on The Strongest and Weakest parts of your game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: The Strongest and Weakest parts of your game

Hitting is definitely my weakest part of my game. I'm impatient. If a ball is in the strike zone, I want to swing, instead of waiting for meat balls and tiring out their pitcher by going deeper in the count. I make Mike Trout look like a blind child out there.

My strong point is preventing extra bases I guess? I was exceptionally good at shutting down stealing cheesers in Diamond Dynasty back before they patched base running.

People thought they could steal their way around the bases with 99 speed contact hitters and I showed them why nobody puts their hands in the cookie jar in my house. I always use a left handed 1st baseman to make it easier to throw people leading off out. And I check people on first to tire them out so that when they do steal, they stand no chance. I think my success rate was above 80% at throwing people out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 AM   #26
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Preface this by saying I only play RttS.....the strongest part of my game is being able to layoff that tough pitch and talking the walk. I'm in the mist of something like 6 or 7 straight years of 100+ walks. Weakest is probably defense mostly because I don't play it. I skip all defense chances.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #27
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Strongest - Hitting. I have great patience at the dish, am able to draw walks, work counts, fight back from 0-2 and 1-2, sac guys, and generally hit the ball well. Yes I go through slumps like everyone. But hitting is a big strength of mine.

Pitching - I am good at moving the ball in and out of the zone and mixing my pitches well. Setting up hitters, also good at inducing ground balls when really needed.

Defense - Good at scouting my opposing batters and using spray charts to position my guys properly in situations that demand that. Also knowing where to go with the ball at all times before every pitch.

Weakness - Bullpen management. This is my true Achilles heal and costs me more games than any other factor. I tend to stick with my starters too long. I could be cruising and then all of a sudden bam!!!! 4 run inning with no one warm in the pen. I need to get better at having guys at the ready and having a shorter leash with my 3,4,5 starters.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 01-14-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:03 AM   #28
Rookie

CornHoller's Arena

Nice thread here.

Hitting = Veteran - I don't use RTTS and use directional hitting interface. I use custom4 for my hotting view.

Pitching - Meter - Pitching view center.

Strength - Not sure it's strength yet but getting better at hitting. What I do notice is that I am still late in the zone and pull very few balls.

Weakness - Outfield fielding. The game is awesome in the outfield - their fielders get the ball and all of them fire rifle shots to the cutoff or the base - my guys will grab the and nonchalantly throw the ball in.

You said you are 'feathering' - just what exactly is this?

Plus my infielders will sometimes grab a line shot, game I hit the base I want to show to and he lobs a grenade over the bag. I also have had way too many inside the park homeruns as my outfielders play the ball like a bunch lazy bastards then lollypop a throw.

I'm interested in others outfield techniques.

As I said before - great thread and thanks for starting.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #29
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornHoller
You said you are 'feathering' - just what exactly is this?

Plus my infielders will sometimes grab a line shot, game I hit the base I want to show to and he lobs a grenade over the bag. I also have had way too many inside the park homeruns as my outfielders play the ball like a bunch lazy bastards then lollypop a throw.

I'm interested in others outfield techniques.

As I said before - great thread and thanks for starting.
I always used to just run to where I thought the ball was going to land in the outfield as fast as possible. This is good for balls that are at the edge of an outfielders range, but will cause errors otherwise.

So instead I started "feathering", where once I get close to the ball marker I ease up on the joystick. It takes some practice, since you have to learn which balls you have time to set yourself for, and which ones you just have to do a jogging catch for, but the basic principal is the same. When you get under the ball marker, you should never be pushing the joystick full tilt (unless at the aformentioned maximum range...charging a liner also works, but I digress).

You'll know you've mastered the technique when you start purposefully slowing yourself down taking a path to the ball just to get the timing of your jogging catch (not to be confused with the full tilt running catch). A good way to think about it is that there is a tradeoff between the speed that you run a ball down and your players ability to track said ball. Still, it is sometimes better to run to a spot then set your player, especially if you have plenty of time before the ball drops.

I probably made that sound way more complicated than it actually is. All I know is that ever since I started doing it, my errors in the outfield have dropped dramatically.

Thanks for the compliment! I was curious to see if my suspicion that hitting was the hardest part of the game was true or if it was just me. I'm glad to see that while I follow the trend (bad at hitting, good at pitching) there are plenty of people with unique skill sets out there. Makes the game even more interesting to me.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #30
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

I use dynamic difficulty.

My strength is pitching. I can graduate up to hall of fame difficulty and still keep my team E.R.A pretty low.

Hitting is much more of a challenge. I get up to all star difficulty on the strength of my willingness to take many pitches but when i do take a swing it's usually a foul or pop up.

I end up losing a lot of low scoring games.
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 01-30-2016, 11:42 PM   #31
Rookie

soonermagic75's Arena

OVR: 9

On Dynamic Difficulty, is it best to use default sliders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #32
Rookie

headzapp's Arena

Great at pitching.
Bad at hitting this year. I strike out a lot. A lotttt, because my brain never got use to the flick hitting. My brain is use to analog. I'm use to pulling back and releasing if I don't see my pitch. Now if it's 0-2 my bat goes too far and it's non stop strikeouts for me.
Was bad at fielding left field, because I want to get the ball smooth and my player twitches. Most of this season I had it on auto and I only throw the ball, because I've been trying to get my last trophy. Rob a home run, but auto makes the plays look smooth.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »