Home

MLB 16 Franchise Progression/Regression Thread

This is a discussion on MLB 16 Franchise Progression/Regression Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 16 Franchise Progression/Regression Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmich
That's why I mentioned it, I don't know if too many people have seen that or not. I personally have noticed that players that are 99 overall tend to regress fairly quickly at a young age. I have seen instances by the age of 31 Kershaw and Trout were mid 60s for overalls. I guess this experiment will answer that
In MLB 14. Not 15. They fixed that. And they usually dropped to low 80's
Old 03-23-2016, 01:20 AM   #10
Rookie

newmich's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric7064
In MLB 14. Not 15. They fixed that. And they usually dropped to low 80's
If that is the case then that is good to know I could swear I saw that in 15 but from the sounds of it I've just been having dreadful flashbacks to 14 lol.

I am getting started as we speak and it looks like we will be using the SCEA rosters. I am also going to scratch the idea of the created player since it sounds like that problem was fixed. My main goal isn't as much the MLB 15 figures since I'm sure we all know that the pitchers dominate later on. The big thing here is to compare 15 to 16 so we have an idea right away on what to expect later on in franchise. Plus my hope is that if we do run into problems with 16, we will have enough evidence and facts for the developers to use to try to improve on it through patches or in 17.

Quick question for everyone since I'm still trying to think about how to post everything. For ptcher ratings I was going to post what the league average rating was for the number 5 starters, what is everyone's thoughts on how I should post position players? Also batters obviously we want to look at avg., hits and HRs. What stats should we use to measure pitchers? I'm thinking ERA, innings, and strikeouts.

Last edited by newmich; 03-23-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:42 AM   #11
Rookie

I can only speak for the Red Sox, high overall young players by the time you hit 2021-2022 start regressing heavily losing 5 to 8 points in overall per year. I'm talking about the likes of Henry Ownes, Bogaerts, Betts, etc.

I can understand it could happen on one of them, that can happen on a player suddenly, but not in everyone of them.

edit: I'm talking mlb '15
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #12
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmich
That's why I mentioned it, I don't know if too many people have seen that or not. I personally have noticed that players that are 99 overall tend to regress fairly quickly at a young age. I have seen instances by the age of 31 Kershaw and Trout were mid 60s for overalls. I guess this experiment will answer that
That did not happen in my franchise. They all retired and were in the low 80's, not 60's.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
Rookie

coachchris's Arena

OVR: 6

I played the Show 15 franchise religiously until about a month ago and I will be very interested in your findings.

I spent hours and hours trying to fix problems with progression/regression down the road in franchise. After editing potential and ratings to keep a pretty solid league about 6 years in I had enough.

The final straw was most of the players I was looking forward to hitting the free agent market around that time just start falling off a cliff and were terrible within a few years. i.e. Gerrit Cole, Kris Bryant, Paul Goldschmidt, Miguel Sano, Mookie Betts, etc.etc.

It seemed to correspond with getting six years of service not age. Cole was down into the 70's before he turned 30.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
Rookie

NightRaven3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofsparta15
Definitely. I spent way too much time last year editing pitcher potentials after the draft. Would like to know if I'm in for that again this year.
Thar was beyond annoying. Editing drafts and then having to go through every roster to edit some pitchers so some guys can hit above .300. I really hope that was fixed. I don't mind seeing 80-99 guys but when it got out of hand and you started to see teams with 3-4 90s pitchers in their rotation with crazy velocity and junk it really grind my gears.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #15
Rookie

NightRaven3's Arena

Another issue I remembered was since pitchers were heavily favored, you would notice teams would have like 8-9 starting pitchers on their 25 man roster because the cpu would pick players on their ratings instead of their needs. You would see a SP with a 74 overall be picked over a 73 RP even when the team already had 6 SPs. Very annoying
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #16
Rookie

newmich's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachchris
I played the Show 15 franchise religiously until about a month ago and I will be very interested in your findings.

I spent hours and hours trying to fix problems with progression/regression down the road in franchise. After editing potential and ratings to keep a pretty solid league about 6 years in I had enough.

The final straw was most of the players I was looking forward to hitting the free agent market around that time just start falling off a cliff and were terrible within a few years. i.e. Gerrit Cole, Kris Bryant, Paul Goldschmidt, Miguel Sano, Mookie Betts, etc.etc.

It seemed to correspond with getting six years of service not age. Cole was down into the 70's before he turned 30.
I feel same way as you that it is based more on service time than it does age. If I do notice anything I will update this thread right away. I am glad though that you are interested in this experiment and hopefully others are as well. I have a few seasons done and have seen a drop in batting average already. I have saved the game at the end of the regular season and will go back and take a deep dive into the stats and ratings when I have all ten seasons done. I just figured that would be the best route in terms of time consumption lol.

I guess lucky for you guys we are getting 10-14 inches of snow overnight tonight and my 7am class got cancelled, so that means I get to get some more seasons in!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »