Home

RTTS Game watch altered/removed

This is a discussion on RTTS Game watch altered/removed within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2016, 01:56 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: RTTS Game watch altered/removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLiott
OP here. … All I want is the ability to not have to press O between every play. Alternatively, maybe pressing R1 would skip you to your next appearance and pressing nothing just kept you watching.
This.

Ramone’s comment shows it’s off the table for this year, but maybe The Show 17 could have an “RTTS Next Action” setting with a “watch”, “simulate”, or “skip” as the default, and then the other two options being available as a button press in-game as they are now. But that’s not very different from where we were: classic, result play, all pitches.

In fairness, though, we’re finding just how difficult a balance it is for the developers to strike between "quick action" on one side, and the “feel” of a baseball game on the other. “All pitches” or even just “result play” above used to provide a bit of the randomness we see in baseball, especially defensively. And the pacing of it reminded me very much of watching a game in-person.

The current solution does not feel like a baseball game.

(This style of RTTS gameplay is pressuring me to create a first baseman, as he will see all the fielding opportunities that end in the infield, e.g. 1 to 3 per inning.)

Last edited by johnnydangerously; 03-30-2016 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 0

Yes, this game is getting dumbed down.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #19
Rookie

einjzmolf's Arena

Unhappy Re: RTTS Game watch altered/removed

Pardon my frustration in advance.

I'm extremely annoyed at the idea of taking out something as simple as being able to watch the game without having to babysit every single cutscene. I don't understand the logistics of having to take out an option to replace it with manual labor. I'm one of the few people that actually likes the sim screens because I like to know what situations I'm coming into. I have all the UI turned off because I'm trying to enjoy baseball, not rush through a game.. if I want to feel rushed I'll play DD (yeah, no thanks by the way, great idea for a game mode but it's not for everybody and we'd appreciate it if you'd stop letting DD's play style affect other modes, thanks.)

Single player modes should not be forced to be sped up. If someone wants to watch a full game with cutscenes while controlling their RTTS player, they should be able to. If we can do it in past renditions, stop taking things away from us. I'm honestly quite unhappy with how disconnected I feel to my characters now. All immersion has been lost, and for what reason? Less loading screens? A couple cutscenes? I hate to tell you but the people with enough patience to watch the full games in RTTS.. didn't have loading screens, and when they did, it didn't matter because we're not in a hurry. It was a seamless, beautiful experience. Now it's gone. Replaced with manual labor and seemingly random entrances to the game. My circle button does not deserve this punishment.

Pressing triangle to bring up the play by play screen is hilarious too. It doesn't split the registration between ending the cutscene and 'join game' in the play by play screen. Good way to combat the lack of game watch atleast. Seems to work just fine for getting the full experience of game watch, except for the 3 innings the game automatically skips to get to my first appearance. Kinda lame but oh well.

I already miss First Person mode too. Zero reason for that to leave. You telling me it's too resource intensive for someone to want less cutscenes and more of an authentic experience?

Oh, and Ball Trail is completely broken. Ticking the option on or off doesn't matter in the slightest. More immersion taken away.

Wish the community had more of a voice when it came to RTTS in a positive direction.

TLDR; Game watch options were completely forgotten. Result play, all fielding, all plays. Some of us just want to see what happens in the first inning.. Oh well. Catering to the attention defecit disorder driven world is more important now.

Edit: removed the plea to get these features back. It's clear there is no hope in asking. Apologies for the rant.

Last edited by einjzmolf; 03-30-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #20
Banned

Those who love the game of baseball understand that it is naturally slow, that you have to let the game develop and come to you. Why the urge to speed it up?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #21
Rookie

I'm personally glad they did the **** that they did. And this is coming from someone whose played since the 06 game. No point in watching a game I can't control. I'd rather just watch a REAL baseball game if that's the case.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by einjzmolf
I already miss First Person mode too. Zero reason for that to leave.
I didn’t even realize it was gone until I read this. Easily one of my favorite features of the past few years. Lot of design decisions regarding RTTS this time around. I know we’re in the minority here, but if developer analytics show there’s only a small minority of players who use Pure Analog pitching (as an example), does that option disappear as well?

One of the distinct advantages of The Show over the years is that when it added a gameplay option, it never seemed to remove another. (A great example would be using R3 to revert to the “classic” RTTS outfielder camera.) That comfort of year-over-year stability is beginning to erode as developers make design decisions, clean up options screens, and determine a real direction for the franchise given its current player demographic and the analytics of modes/options used.

Quote:
Oh, and Ball Trail is completely broken. Ticking the option on or off doesn't matter in the slightest. More immersion taken away.
This I’ve noticed, and I hope it is indeed a bug.

Quote:
Wish the community had more of a voice when it came to RTTS in a positive direction.
We do. Right here. But it’s up to Ramone and his team, and their partners in the OS community, to determine if our group is large, or just loud.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #23
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChavezAthletics

Yes, this game is getting dumbed down.
I played a little last night and it just felt like a string of at-bats for my player and no longer like I was part of the game. Just moved way too fast. I know you can press O to watch the play by play thing, but I always miss that because I'm hitting X to skip something. Just wish it was the way it was before and showed you the play by play screen. Just feel like the mode is rushing you, what's the hurry?

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 03-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #24
Rookie

My biggest complaint is easily the fact that I don't like having to hit Triangle so quickly because sometimes I don't want to skip all the time to the next user at-bat or defensive play especially during close games where I like to see the innings develop. I could see my team with a 5-1 lead one moment then the next I'm at the bat or on defense my team is down 10-6 all of the sudden and I'm like how in the hell did that happen? LOL!

Another complaint is the statline missing from games I have to pause the game just to see my batting average now when it used to be seen on the overlays during every at-bat.

The radio part during RTTS doesn't mention what the players did during the game too much anymore.

During the lineups, either Eric Karros or Steve Lyons doesn't mention the players by names that he spotlights. He says where they're hitting in the order but that's a small complaint.

Can't think of anymore but there was some more. I'm still enjoying the experience a whole lot though as they've added a lot of new stuff in to make the experience more enjoyable during RTTS so not complaining too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milotictrainer8
I don't like how they changed the base running. It skips to the next hit instead of seeing every pitch. i want to steal but it automatically goes to a 2-2 count on the guy batting
This is my biggest complaint that I didn't mention yet that's bigger than the triangle and circle skips is the base running change. I can't get steals anymore because they fast forward right to the action. I like to steal to third a lot to get myself into quick scoring position and break Rickey Henderson's all-time steals record. Now everytime I steal the guy is hitting the ball or even worse if he's out I have to run all the way back to the previous base.

They should balance this out where you choose when you want to fast forward the action on base running.

Baseball is a slow game and for those of us playing it we can deal with it. I think the game might be gearing too much towards a casual fan's experience like Madden and NBA 2K does instead of keeping it simulated and slow. Casual fans need to get used to the baseball experience that this is not a fast sport nor should it be. At least give us the option to make it fast or slow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »