Home

Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog

This is a discussion on Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog

Zone-analog-stride = the old zone plus analog (finally back in the game)

I used to play with timing, i can understand that approch (mine for many years). Even though people tend to forget that interfaces are balanced. Directional does not mean ratings-based automatically.

IMHO with precision input there's only an interface (zone). It's such a good combination (precision input + zone) that doesn't deserve to be ignored...

Last edited by sirio994; 03-31-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
Pro

stevostl's Arena

zone for me.. I simply can not hit with directional or analog for some reason... the timing on all star is to difficult or something
but with zone I hit and hit homers in batting practice... maybe I need to test them more

I took batting practice for 2 hours last night and zone I'm easily best with and it's not even close. doing the batting practice bat control. I could get medals and even some gold every time on all star using zone but I couldn't even hardly even get 1 hit using directional and when I finally did still far off from even getting bronze medal. same thing with pure analog

I know some people think it should be easier to bat with directional but it's not for me... it's much easier for me to bat with zone.. maybe it's because I'm good at moving the PCI in the zone to match pitch location or guess pitch location. I am not sure... it might be easier for me to time it because I swing when I see the ball gets to my pci.. and because the timing is easiest on zone I think any ways. I like having full user control of my bat swing location thru the zone any ways but I don't agree that directional is easier.. I think it's harder than zone at the higher difficulties

I used buttons but I will try the analog stride with zone.

Last edited by stevostl; 03-31-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:21 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 3

I've always been a godawful hitter. I used pure analog previously.

I got tired of sucking a couple days ago, copied Cardinalbird5's hitting settings, practiced zone flick hitting for a couple hours in the batting cage..

It's like night and day now. I used to struggle against the rookie CPU and now I'm destroying the Hall of Fame CPU with multiple homers a game.

Now I need to give up pulse pitching and learn how to do analog pitching.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:30 PM   #20
Pro

stevostl's Arena

Quote:
Now I need to give up pulse pitching and learn how to do analog pitching.
do it.. analog pitching only took me about 2 games to get comfortable or mastered. at first I was horrible with it until i figured it out... once you do it's the best one to use for pitching... that or meter but analog beats meter for me

Quote:
I got tired of sucking a couple days ago, copied Cardinalbird5's hitting settings, practiced zone flick hitting for a couple hours in the batting cage..
yes.. the pure analog batting one was very difficult for me. I sucked at that as well. I am going to try that flick or strike with zone though.. I haven't yet. I have been using buttons and it works great.

Last edited by stevostl; 03-31-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:44 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I was a zone/meter(or pulse) guy for a long time

As time has gone on I've changed and transitioned to classic pitching snd timing (directional) hitting, auto fielding, full broadcast camera and presentation, and taking everything off the screen that I can. For me it feels so authentic and ratings driven, it's heaven

But I love that The Show has so much to offer everyone, so many options and all of them are viable. I wish every sports game took the same approach

I'm with you regarding full broadcast...i even bat from a BTP view. I'm still waiting on the ability to turn off the defensive shift icon/notification, baserunning diamond, HR cam...i'll probably be waiting forever being in the extreme minority...but these things annoy me more than most probably. i was also hoping since there was a separation between full broadcast and hybrid that i would finally see the return of the camera tracking all fouls in foul territory / in the stands, uninterrupted catcher throw back to pitcher animation, no truncated batter walk ups...ah well. game is still great, but still a bit of disappointment from my 'full broadcast' point of view and style of play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2016, 07:05 PM   #22
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9
Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog

I was a big fan of the Pure Analog stride in '14 and was pumped to hear they were bringing it back in this year's game.

But after playing with Zone all last year and trying the Pure Analog stride in this year's game, I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy Zone hitting. I feel it gives the most control of the hitting interfaces and it is even better this year with the new Precision Input.

Im sure I will dabble with the Pure Analog here and there, but Zone will be my go to for sure. Played with PCI on last year but have switched to playing with it off this year and I am loving it.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #23
MVP

mikeq672's Arena

Zone, always zone, Im kind of disappointed that directional hitting is back in the game, especially for online play. Its way too easy to hit the ball as its basically just timing
Old 03-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #24
Rookie

mav3rek's Arena

OVR: 1

I was using Directional/Timing as that is what I have always used, but for whatever reason this year I could not hit for crap. I was super early on everything even on 96/97 MPH fastballs. Off speed stuff I couldn't even touch. I switched to pure analog using the flick style and it has worked out great for me so far. Instead of only getting a couple hits a game, I've gone to a more realistic 8 or 9.

I like that even though I'm only using the controller to swing, sometimes I can have 'good' timing and the batter will foul off or miss the pitch. Otherwise it would be way to arcade like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »