Home

Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog

This is a discussion on Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2016, 01:02 AM   #25
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt983
I don't know how you guys can play with just timing and not be able to select where you want to swing with zone. Sure its a little frustrating when you miss a meatball and swing under it but I found myself hacking way too many balls into the dirt with the default setting, especially in DD where everyone is throwing low offspeed junk.

Also it allows for you to hit better with hitters with lower contact ratings especially while building your team. Plenty of good silver hitters out there if you use zone.
Some of us like having ratings matter more than user stick skills. That's basically what it comes down to. With the right settings it works great.
Far from being able to hit better with lower players because of the fact it uses the ratings the player has more to determine the outcome.
For my RTTS player I use settings that give me more control (zone for example)

The main thing is there's plenty of options no matter how you want to play.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 04-01-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #26
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Years ago I was always zone. This past few years I've been mostly the setup that has the most ratings based. Auto field etc..
I throw however. Basically a hybrid of a manage only type deal.
I save user input settings for RTTS ..

I may do some zone this year though.
I think you and I have the exact same setup. I am in the same boat. I want ratings to matter most.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:10 AM   #27
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Zone. I hate the idea of not having to direct where I'm swinging the bat.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 04-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #28
Rookie

JahCreations's Arena

OVR: 2

Zone with PCI OFF...Directional is great for placing the ball where you want it. But i find the best balance and realistic results for me doing zone with the pci indicator off. Gives me the right amount of challenge and my left thumb just always goes where the pitch is going so if i do directional i end him hitting grounders when im jist naturally following the ball low from years of playing zone
Old 04-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #29
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
I don't know how you guys can play with just timing and not be able to select where you want to swing with zone. Sure its a little frustrating when you miss a meatball and swing under it but I found myself hacking way too many balls into the dirt with the default setting, especially in DD where everyone is throwing low offspeed junk.
It's personal preference. I, like others have stated, prefer the ratings to have a substantial impact on the game so direction/timing is my preferred method. I still have input with swing timing, so there's my little challenge.

I also don't play any online games with The Show. I can't stomach the way people play so I avoid the online crowd.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 04-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #30
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:

Also it allows for you to hit better with hitters with lower contact ratings especially while building your team. Plenty of good silver hitters out there if you use zone.

Agree I don't want to get a pitch right down the middle of the plate and have perfect timing only to like foul the ball or pop the ball up just because the game decided that my PCI should have been high or lower than the ball. If I have good timing I want to have to worry about not swinging over or under the ball just like if real life some times a player will time a pitch perfect only to swing to high or swing to low and I want that to happened to me. Like I want to think a pitch is high only to end up miss judging it because it was a low pitch.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #31
Just started!

OVR: 0
Red face Re: Directional vs Zone vs Pure analog

I'm still finding the hitting options to be cryptic. The text for each selection on the gameplay options screen leaves a lot to be desired.

I've been finding that I'm most successful with Pure Analog - Flick, but I don't even know what I'm doing, so some questions for anyone with a better grasp of these systems.

Using Pure Analog - Flick, can I still press Square/X/Circle before the pitch to choose my swing type? I press these buttons to select my swing but I have no idea if it's actually doing anything, I'm almost assuming it isn't. I always flick up, never sideways, so perhaps I'm never using a contact swing?

Am I correct in assuming that Pure Analog - Flick only takes timing into account? I'm under the impression that there's no aiming required, and no way to direct where you hit the ball.

It's embarrassing that I don't know how this hitting system works yet it's yielding the best results for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #32
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Controlling the PCI and hitting is just too easy for me. I'll end up hitting over .300 with my entire lineup. Directional allows for player ratings to play out, so it makes it more realistic and tougher to build my roster.

Same with using classic pitching instead of analog/meter.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »