Home

Discussion: Hits down the line

This is a discussion on Discussion: Hits down the line within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #25
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Discussion: Hits down the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
I feel like if the momentum was made too realistic we'd run into the same problem as the basketball game with the players feeling too "weighty" and experiencing loss of control. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing, but there's a very vocal section of OS that wants more control over their player movement, not less. Even if it means the game looking less "sim". We get to some degree already in this game with the canned animation complaints.

It's one thing if the CPU used momentum correctly, but I guarantee we'd be hearing the same complaints if the user was bound by it too.

It's a tough dilemma for the devs, for sure. At the end of the day it's a video game, and it can't be everything for everyone.

I think I should clarify what I mean by the better momentum system... I would actually want to clearly distinguish it from "canned animation" system, which is more like the current system used by The Show, and ideally I don't think that's the way things like this should be implemented.

What I mean is that you are in total control of the motion of your body, but the body movement is susceptible to inevitable effect of momentum, so you have to control your body movement in such a way that you have to take into account that your body has some weight.

I am awfully embarrassingly dating myself, but the following two retro shooting games illustrate my point well:

Movement without any concept of momentum (Xevious):

Spoiler

Movement with a proper concept of momentum (Exerion):

Spoiler

Now, with Exerion, the gamer is still in total control of the fighter jet, but he simply must control it anticipating the effect of momentum. None of the jet's movement is canned, and the game isn't losing control at any moment.

Of course these are flying objects so the effect of momentum is much more exaggerated, but even though baseball players feel this to a lesser extent, they still move taking into account the effect of momentum.

Quote:
Now.....THIS one looked pretty good IMO. The "bracing" animation fits because the RF was on a dead sprint towards the wall. Batter has good speed but not top-level, and this is still a triple regardless.

Spoiler

It's hit and miss. A lot of times you'll get ones that look wrong or get cut off by the fielder, other times you'll get ones like this.

So with the example in this video, what I would think a real-life RF would have done is to (1) start sprinting as fast as possible right off the contact, (2) as he approaches the landing position he decelerates significantly, making sure he doesn't crash into the wall or overshoot the ball landing spot (which the CPU controlled fielder does), (3) slow down enough while evaluating which way the ball actually bounces off the wall (4) and then literally go pick up and throw it back to the infield.

That is a significant slower play than what CPU fielder did here... In the end, it was likely a triple either way, but the difference is that CPU went into that canned "sucked-in" animation which everyone hates to go into and that took time allowing the runner to take an extra base, but in real-life the whole sequence slows down because he has to control his own momentum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #26
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3

I agree with your points nomo, taking the video you responded to above, the RF did a 40 yard dash to the fence and picked up the ball along the wall, all without decelerating. If one tried that in real life their head would hit against the wall and it wouldn't end well.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #27
Pro

spitoon's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Now.....THIS one looked pretty good IMO. The "bracing" animation fits because the RF was on a dead sprint towards the wall. Batter has good speed but not top-level, and this is still a triple regardless.

It's hit and miss. A lot of times you'll get ones that look wrong or get cut off by the fielder, other times you'll get ones like this.
This is probably my biggest complaint. They have made progress toward it, but it's still not right.

One of the problems that I see is that the friction on the field is too high. Couple that with outfielders getting great jumps and maybe being a bit too fast, I rarely see balls make it all the way into the corner (like the one in the video).

Not a "down the line" hit, but last night, I hit a line drive in the gap at 105MPH. Split the outfielders perfectly but it didn't make it to the wall. It stopped short of the warning track. I just think the friction is a bit high...

Last edited by spitoon; 04-11-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #28
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0

This is embarrassing on SCEA's part..... i mean this is pretty much physically impossible to hit this ball this hard with the type of spin it has on it. There's no way I could ever even hit a ball this way with any type of hitting interface and get a base hit on it. How does this not roll foul? This cost me the game. Even if it continued the path it usually does for most groundballs it would've rolled foul. Im just in shock that I could hit a ball down the line with opposite spin on it.....idk even know what to say...its just unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyWlqZj8AM

Last edited by CanOfCornCobb; 04-21-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #29
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

OVR: 0

Things like this get buried, ignored, and never make it into the edition of the game because no one else really cares. This is a major issue. How can anyone watch my video and say that it is not an issue with the game? This is why stuff like this never gets fixed. This type of hit has been in the game since I started playing back in 08 or 09. Im not going to let this thread get buried again. SCEA has to change this for next years' game.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanOfCornCobb
This is embarrassing on SCEA's part..... i mean this is pretty much physically impossible to hit this ball this hard with the type of spin it has on it. There's no way I could ever even hit a ball this way with any type of hitting interface and get a base hit on it. How does this not roll foul? This cost me the game. Even if it continued the path it usually does for most groundballs it would've rolled foul. Im just in shock that I could hit a ball down the line with opposite spin on it.....idk even know what to say...its just unreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdyWlqZj8AM

That guy should play pool. That's some serious english on that ball.

Wow - I think the third baseman was in shock that it didn't go foul.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Funny that you say this because I think I have seen the most bloop hits occur this year than any other year.
Same here. There was an issue with excessive hangtime that seems to have been corrected (if not greatly improved) this year, and I'm getting more hits falling in than ever before. Overall this year's physics are miles ahead of previous years.

Once we get proper line drive contact, and a solution to the side-spin issue as nomo described, I think that hits down the line, and the ball physics in general, will both be perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Same here. There was an issue with excessive hangtime that seems to have been corrected (if not greatly improved) this year, and I'm getting more hits falling in than ever before. Overall this year's physics are miles ahead of previous years.

Once we get proper line drive contact, and a solution to the side-spin issue as nomo described, I think that hits down the line, and the ball physics in general, will both be perfect.

Agreed. I love how the bat is coming off the ball for the most part. I don't have to put power at 10 just to make the hits look like they have authority on them.

I might do it anyway because I'm morbidly curious.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »