Home

Informal survey

This is a discussion on Informal survey within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #97
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Informal survey

1) How important are any of these features to you?
* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game. Very Important. Trying to reset my DD pitching every year can be tedious with going from Rookie to All-Star+.
* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else? Not that important. I would probably remove it if given the option to toggle it on and off but it doesn't bother me.
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction? Never use it currently but if it was on the d-pad I might.
* More stats/information on d-pad. Which ones?
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.
* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism) definitely realism is better.
* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always? Yes but it doesn't have to be always. I like the variation of the walk-ups.
* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look? More readable would be good. Probably a bar. I would also like it if this was available outside of the line-up screen and the game.
* Game watch option for RTTS
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?
* Any other stat or OSD that was removed that you want to see again?

2) Do you use and like any of these features?
* Dynamic Difficulty I only use it for Pitching. Wish you could pick a level to start on.
* Showtime (slow down time) - haven't used.
* RTTS Perks - I don't play RTTS.
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu - don't really use it
* Game Log - rarely look at it.
* Strategy Guide - never use it.

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst? I only play franchise as the Cubs so I can't really say objectively.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #98
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Maybe the better way to phrase this would be:

"How would Luis feel about making a separate survey for franchise mode? He will get a lot of feedback and great ideas from that, I guarantee it!"
I don't mind making the survey, if someone can make an objective list of realistic topics. I will then make a survey out of that, based on what I know is technically possible. The only caveat is I don't work on franchise at all.

Update: I may have to delay this survey until more time frees up.

Last edited by Brian SCEA; 04-15-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #99
Rookie

tbbuccaneer87's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Maybe the better way to phrase this would be:

"How would Luis feel about making a separate survey for franchise mode? He will get a lot of feedback and great ideas from that, I guarantee it!"
That is fine by me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
I don't mind making the survey, if someone can make an objective list of realistic topics. I will then make a survey out of that, based on what I know is technically possible. The only caveat is I don't work on franchise at all.
I understand. I'll help you compile some of the list and then I'll send you a pm, instead of posting it in here, to keep the thread on topic.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #100
MVP

OVR: 0

Just a quick follow up on your R2 Menu. What I would like to see when I pull the R2 Trigger are the following see photo.
1. Batters Hot/Cold Zone
2. Fielders Position
3. Pitch Selection
4. Swing Info

Last edited by Impetuous65; 04-16-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #101
3X MLBTS Champion

mlblover15's Arena

OVR: 19

* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game.

dont use it...

* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else?

have no idea what this is...

* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction?

Don't use batter pitcher stuff..

Not important

* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.

Not important

* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism)

I'd like to keep it more realistic

* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always?
Yes, always

* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look?

Very important.. I can barely see it as it is now. Maybe just a thicker bar?

Not important.

* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?

I'm not even sure what this is referring to. Not important

* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?

ok i have been asking for this for years... individual batter vs pitcher stats... every batter vs ever pitcher in the game..

pitcher records at each park pitched (single season and lifetime

pitcher stats vs each team faced... single season ad lifetime

hitters stats for every park played in (single season and lifetime)

team vs team records (season and lifetime)

Can't think of any.

* Dynamic Difficulty

Nope

* Showtime (slow down time)

No

* RTTS Perks

Don't Play that mode

* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu

Never

* Game Log

every game considering i run a franchise over on TSN.

* Strategy Guide

not that i can think of

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #102
Rookie

PitholeCreek's Arena

OVR: 1

Not very important. I'd rather see the ability to set the initial difficulty.

Definitely tone it down and make it more realistic. I played it once with just two batters, and it dragged on due to the number of home runs. I have no interest in playing it again based on how it is now.

I'm more of a sabermetric guy, so I completely ignore those stats wherever they happen to be displayed.

* Dynamic Difficulty

I like it, but not as it's currently implemented. As mentioned above, it should be possible to set the initial difficulty. An experienced player shouldn't be required to start on Rookie difficulty. I've stopped using it in RTTS because it reset on me for no reason.

I like it and use it.

* RTTS Perks

I prefer Showtime. I used Perks once and decided I didn't care for them.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #103
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Hi, I have a 3-part informal survey about some ideas that came up in discussions. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

Seems ok to me, if someone is perfect through a game raise their difficulty.

* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else?
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction?

I use these buttons every at bat for a break in play since the game moves so fast. For full analysis I have everything I need in the select/touchpad screen. If I really need a cheat sheet I'll hit that button but I don't like receiving such data in the middle of an at bat. However, these buttons could be better served to bring up team and player specific advanced statistics and emphasize on-the-fly management options.

I can't weigh in but that graphic did help me understand what difference there are in pitches when I was smaller. I don't know what's in place now, I have all OSD turned off even scoreboard.

HR Derby IS UNPLAYABLE. It should be subject to the sliders and regular gameplay just like training modes and pregame batting practice that used to be in RTTS (maybe still is). HR Derby is unplayable for me, it's a shame.

(edit -- If HR DRBY was fixed, I'd play it every day/every week.)

Yes always. Better than that, we just need an actual full batter walkup like the previous games had in 2010/2011. It's one of the top 3 problems I have with this game. Pace of play is one sided, express lane gameplay.

* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look?

I like hidden statistics, player energy is acceptable as it is. I've tuned injury simulation to 10 and simmed to mid-August and there were a handful of players who hadn't missed a single game. A number of them missed less than 3 to that point. Player energy as it is should be fine. It's ok for now.

Yes. Last I checked you could select All Pitches and watch a game your not even playing if you wanted. We should still have that option. We already have fast-forward which is good enough.

Seems ok idea to me.

As mentioned before, d-pad should give maximum sabermetric and mgmt options, it also shouldn't freeze the game. So introduce a time clock for observation and let the game continue to run during this time.

Pitchers need much more statistic overlays. From seasonal stats, career stats, definitely analytics. We need pitch count analysis. An overhaul for Pitcher overlays.

* Dynamic Difficulty
Don't use it, but when I was first starting I think it would have been a welcome way forward.

I like the idea, even though I would never use it. I'll give a very honorable mention to fielding zone markers vs fielding ball markers that are mandatory now. Currently I play defense with no ball indicator for fielding because the ball indications takes no effort and all of the fun away from defense. There used to be a zone indicator, that you'd run toward and it was also bigger/smaller based on ratings of defender. That needs to return immediately!

* RTTS Perks
no, no. only perk i need is earning my way through the league. make rtts less minigame friendly and more like franchise mode.

* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu

I love it and it needs to be mandatory to bring it up at the end of every at bat. This can preceed the batter walkup or be shown simultaneously but batter walkup needs a 100% improvement because it's nonexistent. What's the point of walkup music if it's a 5 second walkup.

* Game Log

Hope your not thinking of removing this.

* Strategy Guide

Seems ok, I guess, if it helps new/young players i don't mind it..

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?

Hitters that are best to use:
1) Bryce Harper - a killer swing, power to every field, dynamic hitter
2) Jose Altuve - very dynamic hitter, fun swing/atbats
3) Giancarlo Stanton - actually typically have a tough time with him, but the power he has makes it all worth it.

Pitchers that are best to use:
1) Subjective to who is throwing well. I like the game for dynamic confidence per pitch along with the overall skill level per pitch to start with. My sliders make pitchers more subjective to fatigue they still throw the same realistic amount of pitches you'd expect but there is more emphasis on a pitchers confidence to help them make it through the game.

Worst Hitters:

I still play in 14' The Show: The worst hitters to use without training with them prior are ones with a highly elaborate leg kick due to stride difficulty sliders being maxed out. With that said

1) Junior Lake
2) Brendan Ryan just plain sucks
3) Pitchers

Honorable mention to Albert Pujols, his little corkscrew windup can be awkwardly challenging but very rewarding and fun. There are some great hitters that can be a challenge to use, Robbie Cano, Stanton, Ichiro (in recent games) come to mind.

It's not my call, but I guarantee I'll be bringing each point up in wishlist discussions even if nobody else mentions them. Thank you!
Answered in quote above.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 04-15-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: HRD
Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #104
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Just a quick follow up on your R2 Menu. What I would like to see when I pull the R2 Trigger is the following see photo.
1. Batters Hot/Cold Zone
2. Fielders Position
3. Pitch Selection
4. Swing Info
Would love to see defensive positioning that easily

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »