Home

Informal survey

This is a discussion on Informal survey within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Rookie

physicx's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Informal survey

1)
- Dynamic difficulty is important, but shouldn't change drastically throughout 1 game. I think it's fine for now with the slider up.
- R2 reminder doesn't happen to me but that's because I play with a clean screen (no pitch selection/box). Make an option I guess.
- Bring back pitcher/batter analysis, at least for past at-bats (the show 14). It was R2 + left/right on the D-pad and it would bring up pitch types/locations for every at-bat.
- AVG/HR/RBI in walk up display is fine as is. Maybe interchange those stats with FIP, OPS+, stats vs that specific pitcher (if at all feasible). Should only pop up once per at bat, either on walk-up or after the first pitch. Add these onto monthly/series splits
- Energy OSD needs to be tweaked a bit. Instead of having both a red/green bar, have the player's Overall rating as a bold number in the circle, keep the green circle around it to represent stamina (franchise/season). Someone made a good example of this somewhere on here, can't remember where though. It was a blue pie basically.
- Don't care for controller color

2)
- Dynamic difficulty is alright (I play on HOF mode as the starting point)
- Showtime is a neat feature for RTTS
- Pitcher/batter analysis would be great if I didn't have to pause the game to see any of it
- I like checking out the game log for attendance but that's really it. Maybe at some point during the game like 8th inning or so, have the PA guy announce the recorded attendance for that game
- RTTS Perks are stupid

3)
- Bumgarner is nearly unstoppable on the mound. Jose Altuve is a singles machine. And I STILL can't strike out Martin Prado for some goddamn reason, the guy is the terminator

Also one gripe I do have is with the variable attendance. Not every team sells out the seats behind the dugouts/home plate or suite/"diamond level" sections in real life. Maybe spread the crowds out a bit more along the baselines, have upper decks literally empty for teams with awful records. And games where there's rain pouring down, maybe program attendance/crowd AI to compensate for the downpours and move up the sections. Not often you'll see a packed home plate/dugout area when it's a torrential rain storm coming through. And then whatever happened to the catcher giving multiple or decoy signs behind the plate when there's a runner on 2nd base? I remember seeing that in every stream before release but I haven't seen it once since I got the game.

Last edited by physicx; 04-12-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #10
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Hi, I have a 3-part informal survey about some ideas that came up in discussions. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

1) How important are any of these features to you?

* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always?
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?

2) Do you use and like any of these features?
* Dynamic Difficulty
* Game Log
These 2 are high on my important list
stats in batter walkup display?
every at bat, please.
stats tracked

catchers passed balls would be a nice addition
also batter/pitcher vs left & right splits for batting avg. & AB/HR
maybe batting avg w/risp?
Love love love Dynamic difficulty
Would like to be able to see game log after I've exited the in-game part, in the franchise menu.
#44Syracuse
Old 04-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
Rookie

1) Player energy in the bullpen needs to be more readable. I like the circle graphic though, just make it bigger and it would be perfect.

2) Game log is great and pitcher/batter analysis. During the game I will go back and look at it to see where the pitch was, identify groupings of pitches, etc.

3) Top 3 best players to use in the game are Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, and Jake Odorizzi for me. The worst to use in game has always been, personally, Juan Uribe. Never have gotten many hits, walks, anything when I've controlled him
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Hi, I have a 3-part informal survey about some ideas that came up in discussions. Feel free to answer as few or many as you like.

* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game. Not really important to me
* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else? Would be nice to have a game option for it
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction? Up
* More stats/information on d-pad. Which ones?
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate. Not important to me
* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism) I think it should be realistic
* AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display. If yes, always? Not at every time but maybe 2 or 3 times a game
* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look? Maybe have it on the outside of the cirlce and have it a different color than green
* Game watch option for RTTS I don't play RTTS
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How? Not important to me
* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display? Would love more stats displayed
* Any other stat or OSD that was removed that you want to see again?

* Dynamic Difficulty I like it but don't use it
* Showtime (slow down time) Don't use it
* RTTS Perks Don't like perks
* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu I like it
* Game Log I like it
* Strategy Guide I don't use it

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst? Don't really know
Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA

* Allow Dynamic Difficulty to advance multiple difficulties in 1 game.
Would like this to happen, I use Dynamic to find a sweet spot for me, then lock it in. I don't see the benefit of locking it to once per game.

* Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else?
I don't mind it all, but it seems like quite a few people would like an ingame option to disable.

* Pitcher/Batter Analysis on d-pad. Which d-pad direction?
The Pitcher/Batter Analysis seems too detailed to bring up with dpad, unless it would pause the game and take you to the existing screen/interface. I'd prefer quick access to stats, vs pitcher history, or l/r averages.

Pitch history from previous at-bats.

* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.
Only as an option, since there are a lot of players that seem to like less info onscreen.

* Tone down HR Derby power (fun vs. realism)
Don't use

Yes, especially with the focus on mimicking real broadcasts, those stats are shown all the time during game.

* Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look?
Definitely yes. I think it would be cool to keep the same UI, but remove the green circle around the perimeter and change it to a fill meter. When 100% it is the current circle, but with a full green background. When they go below 50% the circle would be half filled, etc. Perhaps with different colors to show when they get extremely low.

* Game watch option for RTTS
Would not use. Prefer the new quick pace.

* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?
No

* Sabermetric or any other stats tracked/displayed. A few? A lot? Which ones? Where to display?
Defensive runs saved and caught stealing % for catchers. Make all stats sortable, in all modes, including DD.

* Dynamic Difficulty
LOVE

* Showtime (slow down time)
I like it for throwing, hitting seems to make it harder for me to time.

* RTTS Perks
Have not used them because my saved character was 99 overall. No interest in adding perks.

* Pitcher/Batter Analysis menu
I use, but not frequently.

* Game Log
I use this, but maybe like once 5-10 games.

* Strategy Guide
No, tutorial better explaining features and interfaces would be a lot more helpful. I don't need baseball tips, I need to know exactly how to use directional hitting or analog pitching.

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?
Carter Capps is nasty. And I've never been able to hit off of A.Chapman. I'm a Giants fan, so I'm biased towards Bumgarner, Posey, Pence.

It's not my call, but I guarantee I'll be bringing each point up in wishlist discussions even if nobody else mentions them. Thank you!
Answers inline. One thing I'd like to see, leave the ability to override the CPU when using automatic baserunning, but don't make it happen when I perform pre-pitch actions (queued steals and lead offs).

Last edited by p00p1; 04-12-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 3

Sounds good to me. Some people have complained that it adjusts difficulty too slowly. Maybe you could add an option that allows you to select how fast you want the difficulty to be adjusted?
This doesn't matter to me. But more options never hurt anyone.
I feel it should be right. It's one of the most important things I want to check each at bat.
You already mentioned it above. Currently, the game displays the pitcher v pitcher matchup in the upper left corner. I want to see the pitcher vs the batter's stats as well.
* Bring back the dotted line display showing your pitch break after a pitch crosses the plate.
Add it as a toggleable option. Yes, I would personally use this all the time.
It wouldn't bother me either way. I'd prefer it to stay silly and fun.
Yeah, I always want to see these things in the walk up.
I agree it needs to be more readable, although I dunno off the top of my head how it should be changed. Maybe keep it the same, but make it slightly bigger, put a number in the middle showing exactly how much energy is left and change the color depending on whether the energy is in the "tired" zone. Also, the game needs to do a better job at showing us the negative effects of low energy. Show our stat decreases when our pitcher is tired.
Sure.
* The ability to manually or automatically set the color of your controller. How?
This isn't really a concern of mine. Unless you can allow us to manually turn off the light bar

* Dynamic Difficulty
I personally don't use this but it's a good feature for newbies and I like it. I just set it to the default online difficulty since that's what I play most of the time.
No, I prefer a simulation experience. I feel indifferent about the feature.
* RTTS Perks
No, again, I prefer a true to life experience. I don't really like the feature. Maybe if the game had more realistic perks. Like you consistently make diving catches in games and get a perk that slightly increases the range of your diving plays, at the expense of taking a hit to your fielding stat.
I use this all the time online to analzye my opponent's pitching trends.
* Game Log
Rarely, if I need to check out a specific thing.
* Strategy Guide
I don't use it but it needs to be there.

3) Finally, a very subjective question: Which 2 or 3 pitchers and hitters do you think are the best to use in-game? The worst?

I'm unaware if you are asking this question in context of Diamond Dynasty, so I'll list both.

Best Batters in my opinion (including Diamond Dynasty)
Ted Williams
Reggie Stocker
Matt Kemp

Best Batters (live series)
Mike Trout
Cabrera
Jose Bautista

Worst Batters
Besides players with garbage stats like pitchers, any player with very low vision and average contact stats like Chris Davis. Against even an average pitcher, their PCI is the size of a pea and even if you make perfect contact, the pitcher's H/9 stat turns every hit into a weak pop-up.

Worst Pitchers
I dunno. Any pitcher with a really bad H/9 stat (so every hit is mashed), no velocity (meaning the batter gets way more time to react) and does not have any "hard to hit" pitches like sliders, change up, etc. These pitchers will get murdered against the CPU and especially against human players.

Last edited by takki; 04-12-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #15
MVP

BBallcoach's Arena

OVR: 7

- I don't use DD. I personally find a difficulty and adjust sliders. I am not hardcore at this game. I personally don't want the game to get harder just because I have one good game.

- I love it, so i use. So I don't think it's applicable to me.

- I push right on the dpad.

- For pitchers I would like see my strikeouts for the game and my average against RHH and LHH.
- For hitters, I would like to see Pitch thrown %'s, I know I can look it up but it would be nice for in game scouting to know what the guy has thrown most.

- No it's good.

- Fun, crank it up

- Yes, Not always.

- It looks fine to me

- No thanks.
-I don't get the question

- Leave them in the player stats screen

-I want to see the pitcher vs batter stats again.

* Dynamic Difficulty
- No
- No, I turned it off after the first one. Kills the mode.

* RTTS Perks
- Nope feels like cheating

-Yes please

* Game Log
- I glance at it,

* Strategy Guide
- nope

Pitchers Best- David Price is amazing and I also love DeGrom
Hitters best- Travis Shaw, I destroy with and Swihart. I also love hitting with guys like Trout, Harper and Stanton of course.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #16
Pro

Game watch option for RTTS: This is by far the most important feature. I use a player locked created short stop in Franchise mode in which I have had since MLB 14 and carried over each year.

The RTTS game watch options were handled perfectly in MLB The Show 14 and MLB The Show 15 most importantly because it provided user’s with a choice. Having options such as all plays allowed the game to play out organically and made playing defense a lot more realistic and less predictable especially when playing a infield position like short stop.

The RTTS Game watch option was tweaked in MLB The Show 16 to press the “O” button between each at bat or play. If this could be improved or reverted back would be incredibly helpful considering I play all 9 innings, 162 games and often miss pressing the “O” option or press it too fast skipping a important moment replay or commentary.

Baseball is meant to be a slow paced & strategical game and the RTTS game watch options provided in earlier iterations (MLB14 and MLB15) provided a perfect balance for those who wanted to play RTTS or a player locked character fast paced or watch the entire game.

Anything to not press "O" each time and every play!

Way to remove R2 reminder OSD. If yes, by game option? Something else?

Game options are preferred give the user flexibility.

AVG/HR/RBI in batter walkup display:

Yes and always, the ability to see stats when coming up to bat at the plate is always important. The current batter walkup to the plate animations are done very well and adding too it will only make it better. Its also important to see if you use a created player and player lock.

Player energy OSD more readable. If yes, how should it look?

The horizontal treatment in previous iterations worked well it gave good separation between each element. Maybe also include it in the player card screen as well. For example when you press “Triangle” on the line up screen before a game might have more real estate there for a larger design.

Showtime (slow down time): No does not feel realistic. Big plays in baseball should be based on natural user input and reaction for big plays on the field and at bat. I turned this off on player lock in Franchise mode but it still happens.

MLB The Show 16 does so many things well. I would love to have the option back to watch the game as a player locked/RTTS player as it adds to the immersion of actually been on a MLB team.

Thanks for posting the survey!

Last edited by jada855; 04-12-2016 at 07:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »