Home

MLB 17 Visual Improvements (Wishlist)

This is a discussion on MLB 17 Visual Improvements (Wishlist) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 PM   #9
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 17 Visual Improvements (Wishlist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzyauncle
Frostbite engine may fix most of this I hope.
Frostbite was created by EA, there's no chance The Show will ever use Frostbite.
Old 07-11-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
MVP

johnnyg83's Arena

OVR: 9

1. Better grass
2. Better environs outside the stadium

That's it ! Best baseball game ever!
Old 07-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
Rookie

Fantastic game...but there is one thing visually that has bothered me for years. When you create a player who is either taller than average...or shorter than average...they always grow or shrink to the exact same height as everyone else during cut scenes. I would love for the SCEA team to fix this.

just one other thing...it's hard to see the ball coming off the bat while playing RTTS infield this year. This has never been a problem before...hope it improves next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #12
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Hair. I have great expectations in this department. Though it may only be a little thing, this could really do a lot to distinguish each CAP even further. The real players SCEA puts in, I never really feel I'm looking at the same player over & over, with just a different name, for the most part. But when It comes to me personally creating a player, my abilities are limited & I really think this could be a great 'unequalizer'. lol
#44Syracuse
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 20

I'd like:

1. For them to put some effort into crowd distribution. Crowds should have some nice dynamics to them according to weather, day, opponent, time of year, and team performance, and should distribute somewhat accurately. Currently it's like there's four different crowd-types: full, mostly-full, sold-out-lower-deck-with-empty-upper-deck, and mostly-empty, and what determines which one you get I haven't even figured out. I'm 14 1/2 games out of first playing the 16 1/2 games out White Sox for a MON, TUE, WED series and all three games sold out. I hear an announced crowd of 22,000-something and yet the game still looked like a sellout because all the empty seats are in the upper deck. Playing as a 2-9 team in April, rainy & cold conditions, against the Twins, on a Tuesday afternoon, by all logic should be friggin' empty, but the game is sold out. It just doesn't make any sense half the time.

2. Cutscenes of fielders after an out should signal with their hands how many outs there are (wiggling their index finger or putting up the bull-horns).

3. User-controlled pitchers should check the runners (the animation, I mean) on their own. No pitchers simply ignore a runner on 2nd, for instance; they always turn and look at him for a second. It should just be part of all stretch animations by default. (To be clear on this I'm not saying the pticher should literally check the runners all the time or by themselves, forcing the camera view to change, I'm just talking about the pitcher's head.)

4. That open-hand release-point they gave all the pitchers should be embarrassing; I can't believe a dev said it was intentional. Not to be a complete jerk about it but, like, do you watch baseball? Virtually every single broadcast features stop-motion camera work showing what a pitcher's hand looks like at the release-point; I mean they literally freeze the replay at that moment. This is consistent across many broadcasts (I have the MLB package). How they turn around and decide a "high five" is what pitcher-releases should look like is just ... smh.

5. Like physicx said, as many new catcher animations as possible. For those of us who pitch from behind-the-pitcher cams, that stuff is huge, we're watching it all game long. Also more catcher gear and allow the ability to customize catcher headgear (playing with white cages all year for a team that wears midnight blue cages irl, like, not a big deal but c'mon man).

6. Dirtier dirt stains and darker, deeper grass stains on uniforms. They're pretty ok as they are but no one will be complaining if they're enhanced a bit.

I'd be stoked for those upgrades.

Cheers.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 7

Not focusing on the good...that list is way too long. Just my short list of things I would love to see changed:

I really don't have a problem with the graphics overall, they are pretty stellar. My only gripe would be the step back that was taken in the hair/beard department, IMO.

What really annoys me as an offline only, me vs the cpu only player is the inability to turn off all the notifications and various icons. This might sound trivial, but it annoys the heck out of me and takes away some of the realism. I even turned on a cpu vs cpu game while i was eating one day and these icons, notifications were still appearing (if i'm doing something wrong, please let me know)...I at least used to be able to count on watching a cpu vs cpu game and get that true mlb broadcast, clean screen visual experience, but that is not the case.

These are the notifications/ icons I would love to be able to turn off/remove/adjust:
- The xp points notification
- The manager tips that pop up (this even comes up for the cpu when i play them?)
- The defensive shift icon (why does this come up when i use auto shift)
- The 'L1 to tag up' notification (why does this come up when i use auto baserunning)
- The baserunning diamond is way too big this year. I wish I could turn it off. And why is this present when I throw a pickoff attempt to the baserunner...i don't think this happened before
- I wish I could turn off the baserunner window. At times the baserunner(s) trot gives away a homer that is not a no doubter...the commentary is great regarding this, but the trot of the baserunners give this away

Another thing...I think this fits in the 'visual' department. For broadcast, i think all animations should play out. The cut off animations (catcher throw back to pitcher, pickoff throw back to pitcher) some batter walkups, etc. need to be addressed.

One last thing. The games needs to run at 60 fps..I would even take it down to 720p if i had to to get this. The framerate drops in cutscenes, some replays, and graphical transitions (i.e. logos flashing onscreen before replays) needs to be addressed. i thought it was my tv, then i popped in the last of us the other day for the first time (previously mlb the show was the only game that stayed in the ps4) and that seemed to be 60fps and it was very smooth.

Love the game. Just my 'visual' improvement wishlist.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #15
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Both of these are legacy concerns that are evident in the game that I would like to see truly addressed:

(1) Pitching motion/follow through
(2) Throwing motion

(3) Please remove the "finger spread" when throwing the ball (this is a specific issue to MLB16; never seen before in the series).
Not a legacy issue, but for whatever reason, the development team decided to do something weird to the fingers when throwing the ball for each and every single person on the field (pitchers, catchers, fielders). No one in real life actually throws the ball by spreading their fingers apart.

The following is not a legacy issue but would be nice to have.
(4) How about team uniforms during the Allstar game.

Pitching motion

Pitching is a violent body action. It involves a great deal of energy expenditure from the entire body. The follow through of the arm ... whips with an incredible amount of force as well as the upper torso and leg kicks.

MLB the Show's pitching motions lacks physical exertion necessary to pitch a real baseball. Anytime something fast happens in the real world, motion blur accompanies the movement. The Show's pitching mechanic is very clean and clinical; there is no motion blur at all.

Spoiler

Here's a example to illustrate the concern in digital format ("solution" to the problem in the video below):
Spoiler

Throwing motion

Fielder's throwing motion also needs improvements. Throwing a baseball requires the fielder to rear back with his throwing arm including throwing shoulder/torso, and leading the throw forward with the opposite shoulder/torso. Rearing back builds up the potential energy that allows the ball to travel when the potential energy gets converted to kinetic energy.

MLB the Show fielder's leads their throws with the same shoulder/torso as their throwing arms, ultimately resulting in a very unnatural throwing motion, resulting in very little build up of potential energy to throw the ball.

EDIT: In the world of 3D animation, the 12 principles of animation includes proper "arcs". As it stands now, the "arc" is missing in throwing motions.

Spoiler

Fingers Spread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LP-zMMCMeA
No one is actually able to throw the ball the way the players' fingers are currently animated. Spreading all five fingers does not physically allow one to throw the ball properly. The thumb, forefinger and middle finger initial keyframe/in between frames are fine, and should stay like that throughout the entire motion. But once you start posing the ring and pinky fingers in a spread out fashion, that's no longer realistic.

Team Uniform during the all star game (Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2015; Playstation 3)

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 07-27-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »