Home

What is the point of rainy games

This is a discussion on What is the point of rainy games within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
What is the point of rainy games

I don't understand the reason it's in the game. I understand that it rains during games, but if they can't have rainiouts or delays in game there is no point of it being in game. If it would rain for a inning or two then stop and maybe start back up toward end of game it would be realsitic, otherwise there is no way a mlb game would be played in nine straight innings of rain. I know I can change it but it's pointless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: What is the point of rainy games

Especially when they say "oh here comes the heavy stuff" or something - yeah, it would be a rain delay/called game if it was that bad (and it doesn't seem to actually rain any harder, or at least I can't tell). I think "Rain" is more like "persistent light rain" as much as anything else - not like an actual summer shower (or thunderstorm) where it is heavy rain for 20-30+ minutes steadily.

I've read that it has some gameplay effects, which is probably why it's in.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
MVP

Syce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Especially when they say "oh here comes the heavy stuff" or something - yeah, it would be a rain delay/called game if it was that bad (and it doesn't seem to actually rain any harder, or at least I can't tell). I think "Rain" is more like "persistent light rain" as much as anything else - not like an actual summer shower (or thunderstorm) where it is heavy rain for 20-30+ minutes steadily.

I've read that it has some gameplay effects, which is probably why it's in.

if it had a effect on the ball then it would possibly make a difference, like hitting a flyball that may go yard usually but in the rain it may just drop.

but the thing i hate the most. is when you're playing in closed roof park and its rain outside and the commentators are talking about how lucky they are they are in the booth and not down on the field. ummm hate to break it to you commentator but the roof is closed there is no rain on the field.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycecg
if it had a effect on the ball then it would possibly make a difference, like hitting a flyball that may go yard usually but in the rain it may just drop.

but the thing i hate the most. is when you're playing in closed roof park and its rain outside and the commentators are talking about how lucky they are they are in the booth and not down on the field. ummm hate to break it to you commentator but the roof is closed there is no rain on the field.
Yeah that is annoying I wish I felt like it has an effect on gameplay but nothing feels different about it to me I could be wrong. To me it should be harder for your pitchers to have good control but it all seems the same.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

If it annoys you that much then pick another weather condition in pre game, the options there.

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23
If it annoys you that much then pick another weather condition in pre game, the options there.
I do change it just don't see the point of it in the game.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:57 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by labove22
Yeah that is annoying I wish I felt like it has an effect on gameplay but nothing feels different about it to me I could be wrong. To me it should be harder for your pitchers to have good control but it all seems the same.
What I've read is that it makes errors happen more and maybe effect on control.

I haven't really tracked it (don't really get a ton of rain games, and don't "code" weather when I track stats), but the ones I've had seemed to play "differently" - that's about how I can describe it. Not necessarily causation, but rain games always seem to play somewhat differently than usual.

No objective data, so I won't say anything further than that. Just some possible observations.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
What I've read is that it makes errors happen more and maybe effect on control.

I haven't really tracked it (don't really get a ton of rain games, and don't "code" weather when I track stats), but the ones I've had seemed to play "differently" - that's about how I can describe it. Not necessarily causation, but rain games always seem to play somewhat differently than usual.

No objective data, so I won't say anything further than that. Just some possible observations.
Yeah I don't get a lot usually.I have four different franchises going on and in one of them I am in my second season and I am getting two or three a weak. I think I may start playing them instead of changing weather to see about subtle differences.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »