Home

Manage only mode

This is a discussion on Manage only mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Manage only mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
My impression after three games of manage mode.

First game scored 2 runs on 1 hit.
Second game scored 0 runs on 4 hits.
Third game scored 2 runs on 2 hits.

Positive change - the starting pitcher now gets pulled at a reasonable pitch count instead of staying in the game.

Negatives - very few infield hits. Infielders are overpowered. Very few hits down the line because everything curves foul. 3 games 7 hits.

I'm at the point where I'm through submitting bug reports or anything like that. If they patch the problems I'll play. If not then I won't play. I did my small part to continue the existence of the game by purchasing it - that's enough.

While i agree out of the box default is dissapointingly little offense,the game is far too good to give up!I will work on some sliders i'm confident i can come up with something.I'm sure other Mom guys or Nomo will come up with something good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warriors
Sharks
Old 03-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 2

I said I was not going to post sliders yet, that I needed more games under the belt (which I do need). But if it helps bring offense to some games others are playing, it is better than nothing while we wait for Nomo to work is slider magic (assuming he plans on doing his usual awesome stastical analysis).

In MoM game play, one would think the "Human" settings are ignored. but just to be safe, I replicate the exact settings I use on the "CPU" on the "Human" settings. But I won't be showing the "Human" settings. Just know they are identical to the "CPU" settings.

CPU Contact: 7 (this may be 1 click too high)
CPU Power: 5
CPU Timing: 2
CPU Foul Freq: 2
CPU Solid Hits: 5
CPU Starter Stamina: 7
CPU Reliever Stamina: 5
CPU Pitcher Control: 4
CPU Pitcher Consistency: 4
CPU Strike Consistency: 4
CPU Manager Hook: 5
CPU Pickoffs: 5
Fastball Pitch Speed: 6 (cosmetic setting?)
Offspeed Pitch Speed: 4 (another cosmetic setting?)
Fielding Errors Infield: 7
Fielding Errors Outfield: 3
Throwing Errors Infield: 6
Throwing Errors Outfield: 6
Fielder Runspeed: 5
Fielder Reaction: 5
Arm Strength Infield: 5
Arm Strength Outfield: 4
Baserunner Speed: 6
Steal Ability: 8 (might be a click or so too high)
Steal Frequency: 7
Wind: 5

These slider settings are settings I have carried over for several years now with minor tweaks made here and there. Originally they came from Nomo and other folks. But they have also evolved over time with my own tweaks. For instance I can't remember if it was Nomo or someone else who recommended the "Timing" setting being as low as it is. But it seems to be right where it needs to be set. Oh and I still see plenty of foul balls even with that setting as low as it is. I keep it low because I want to give the starters and chance to make it 7 innings before they get pulled or a complete game if they have their best stuff going on a given day. The one setting I have tweaked in MLB 17 over where I had it in 16 is the "Pitcher Control" setting. In 16 I had it at a value of 6 but now it is at a 4 because I was and still am seeing a very high strike outs in my MoM games as well as CPU vs CPU games. At a value of 6 far too often the first pitch was a strike and by all means if someone wants fast games, setting this slider to a 6 or higher. But for me, I want to work the count and my gut tells me to try it at a 4 and so far so good. Of course Nomo would run an in depth statistical analysis of the setting ... LOL ... I am neither that sharp nor that patient. But give these sliders a try if you are not seeing enough offense while we wait for Nomo to work his voodoo magic.

Last edited by My993C2; 03-29-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:50 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
I said I was not going to post sliders yet, that I needed more games under the belt (which I do need). But if it helps bring offense to some games others are playing, it is better than nothing while we wait for Nomo to work is slider magic (assuming he plans on doing his usual awesome stastical analysis).

In MoM game play, one would think the "Human" settings are ignored. but just to be safe, I replicate the exact settings I use on the "CPU" on the "Human" settings. But I won't be showing the "Human" settings. Just know they are identical to the "CPU" settings.

CPU Contact: 7 (this may be 1 click too high)
CPU Power: 5
CPU Timing: 2
CPU Foul Freq: 2
CPU Solid Hits: 5
CPU Starter Stamina: 7
CPU Reliever Stamina: 5
CPU Pitcher Control: 4
CPU Pitcher Consistency: 4
CPU Strike Consistency: 4
CPU Manager Hook: 5
CPU Pickoffs: 5
Fastball Pitch Speed: 6 (cosmetic setting?)
Offspeed Pitch Speed: 4 (another cosmetic setting?)
Fielding Errors Infield: 7
Fielding Errors Outfield: 3
Throwing Errors Infield: 6
Throwing Errors Outfield: 6
Fielder Runspeed: 5
Fielder Reaction: 5
Arm Strength Infield: 5
Arm Strength Outfield: 4
Baserunner Speed: 6
Steal Ability: 8 (might be a click or so too high)
Steal Frequency: 7
Wind: 5

These slider settings are settings I have carried over for several years now with minor tweaks made here and there. Originally they came from Nomo and other folks. But they have also evolved over time with my own tweaks. For instance I can't remember if it was Nomo or someone else who recommended the "Timing" setting being as low as it is. But it seems to be right where it needs to be set. The one setting I have tweak in MLB 17 over where I had it in 16 is the "Pitcher Control" setting. In 16 I had it at a value of 6 but now it is at a 4 because I was and still am seeing a very high strike outs in my MoM games as well as CPU vs CPU games. At a value of 6 far too often the first pitch was a strike and by all means if someone wants fast games, setting this slider to a 6 or higher. But for me, I want to work the count and my gut tells me to try it at a 4 and so far so good. Of course Nomo would run an in depth statistical analysis of the setting ... LOL ... I am neither that sharp nor that patient. But give these sliders a try if you are not seeing enough offense while we wait for Nomo to work his voodoo magic.

Thanks for posting

Warriors
Sharks
Old 03-29-2017, 09:02 PM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikb2001
Thanks for posting
My pleasure. I am off to play a game. See you in a couple of hours.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:05 AM   #21
MVP

You guys want offense? I got into a bit of a slug fest with the Rangers this evening. Enough hits and runs from both teams to keep your batting stats happy for a couple games. Keep in mind I do play with the Rockies who have a potent offense, but questionable starting pitching and I was playing a Spring Training game at Laughing Mountain Park (the minor league park I have adopted as my home Spring Training park). It wasn't even at Coors Field.

Here's the box score basics.

TEX 9-14-1
COL 12-15-1

I had a 5-2 lead after 4 innings. But my starter ran into trouble in the top of the 5th and the reliever I brought into the game won't be on the opening day 25-man roster next week. When all is said and done I gave up 5 runs in the inning all charged to the starter though the reliever did give up a couple of hits. But this is the Rockies, I have learned never to give up on this team (they play better in this game than they do in the real world). Even though I reduced the CPU contact slider from 7 to a 6 at the beginning of the 6th inning, Cargo blasted a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 6th, followed by a back to back HR from Trevor Story. Rangers then committed a fielding error putting Dahl on first and to add insult to injury Ian Desmond followed with another 2 run HR. Nuts. But it wasn't over. Even with the CPU Contact slider now at 6, both teams continued to pound out some hits and runs and in the bottom of the 8th with a 10-9 lead, the Rangers gifted 2 more runs to me. You see they subbed in a LF/OF as their catcher (not sure why the CPU did this except it used the backup catchers earlier in the game as pinch hitters) and the new MLB 17 out of position game logic became obvious as this out of position catcher gave up a number of passed balls. Thanks to 2 walks and all those passed balls and a wild pitch, I ended up scoring 2 runs without a hit.

Now how much of this crazy game was the result of my sliders and how much was simply "baseball can be a crazy game". Possibly a little of both I'd say. The CPU Contact slider at 7 may need to be bumped down to a 6. But I want to play more CPU vs CPU games and observe those results before I do anything to my sliders.

Last edited by My993C2; 03-30-2017 at 12:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by My993C2
You guys want offense? I got into a bit of a slug fest with the Rangers this evening. Enough hits and runs from both teams to keep your batting stats happy for a couple games. Keep in mind I do play with the Rockies who have a potent offense, but questionable starting pitching and I was playing a Spring Training game at Laughing Mountain Park (the minor league park I have adopted as my home Spring Training park). It wasn't even at Coors Field.

Here's the box score basics.

TEX 9-14-1
COL 12-15-1

I had a 5-2 lead after 4 innings. But my starter ran into trouble in the top of the 5th and the reliever I brought into the game won't be on the opening day 25-man roster next week. When all is said and done I gave up 5 runs in the inning all charged to the starter though the reliever did give up a couple of hits. But this is the Rockies, I have learned never to give up on this team (they play better in this game than they do in the real world). Even though I reduced the CPU contact slider from 7 to a 6 at the beginning of the 6th inning, Cargo blasted a 2 run HR in the bottom of the 6th, followed by a back to back HR from Trevor Story. Rangers then committed a fielding error putting Dahl on first and to add insult to injury Ian Desmond followed with another 2 run HR. Nuts. But it wasn't over. Even with the CPU Contact slider now at 6, both teams continued to pound out some hits and runs and in the bottom of the 8th with a 10-9 lead, the Rangers gifted 2 more runs to me. You see they subbed in a LF/OF as their catcher (not sure why the CPU did this except it used the backup catchers earlier in the game as pinch hitters) and the new MLB 17 out of position game logic became obvious as this out of position catcher gave up a number of passed balls. Thanks to 2 walks and all those passed balls and a wild pitch, I ended up scoring 2 runs without a hit.

Now how much of this crazy game was the result of my sliders and how much was simply "baseball can be a crazy game". Possibly a little of both I'd say. The CPU Contact slider at 7 may need to be bumped down to a 6. But I want to play more CPU vs CPU games and observe those results before I do anything to my sliders.

Encouraging

Warriors
Sharks
Old 03-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

Im having a brain cramp. Where do I find manage only mode ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kube
Im having a brain cramp. Where do I find manage only mode ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's only in franchise or season mode.You go into calender select game and the option will be there.

Warriors
Sharks

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »