Home

Player Quirks

This is a discussion on Player Quirks within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #1
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Player Quirks

Creating this thread because I have some specific info regarding Player Quirks, and I believe they are a large enough change to the game to to have their own discussion:

There are two "types" of Quirks - Situational and Attribute.

Situational give boosts in specific situations (i.e. better in night games, better hitting with 2 strikes, better pitching with runners on base). These boosts are not dynamic and are programmed to MLB players based on their real life tendencies. For generated players (existing fake players in the minors AND drafted prospects) these Quirks will be randomly given.

Attribute Quirks given based on reaching a specific rating threshold (i.e. 80 speed for Speedy, which is an example not the actual threshold). These quirks ARE dynamic and will be lost/gained as a player's attributes progress/regress.

Not all Quirks affect gameplay. Some are just markers of a players skill.
The description of each Quirk will explain whether it affects a players ratings in game or not.

The AI Managers do not recognize player quirks when using their bullpen and/or pinch hitters. This is something that The Show team hopes to implement in the future.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Player Quirks

I posted these questions a bit ago in one of the dev stream threads, but am moving the post here (minus the questions answered by the above info) to be more on topic. Also, the info about the AI not recognizing quirks explains why we saw Joe Smith left in to face a quirky Hyun-Soo Kim in yesterday's stream.

First quirk question....Say, for example, the threshold for having the "hitting machine" quirk is 85+ contact rating (not sure what the threshold actually is). Say I take a guy without the quirk and edit him to having 90 contact. Will he then get the quirk in real time right as I'm finished editing him? Does it go into effect right away? Does it wait until the next day/week/month/season to repopulate his list of quirks? If I edit a guy with the quirk to be below the threshold, does he lose the "hitting machine" quirk right away? I realize it's dynamic, but my question is more to how frequently do the quirks update (daily, yearly etc).

Second quirk thing....Are the splits-based quirks (home/road, night/day, left/right) hard-coded from 2016 data? Are they based on a larger sample? One danger area with splits-based quirks is sample size--if we're reading too much into 100 ABs or whatever, the data is likely not very accurate at all simply due to low sample size. Many, many players will show a particular split one season and completely reverse the trend the very next season. I know the devs have confirmed that sample size factors into their performance-based regression/progression system, but am unsure about the quirks. I also am aware they base ratings on 3-year samples of stats, but, again not sure if this is the same for quirks.

Third quirk question....How much better do a guy's splits need to be to get a splits-based quirk? Does he need to bat 15 points better at night than during the day? Would he get the "road warrior" quirk if he batted .301 on the road and .299 at home?

If Luis, Victor, or another dev just happens to be floating around this thread and wants to take a stab at any of this, hypothetically speaking of course, I certainly wouldn't be angry about them chiming in. lol
Old 03-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
These boosts are not dynamic and are programmed to MLB players based on their real life tendencies. For generated players (existing fake players in the minors AND drafted prospects) these Quirks will be randomly given.
It sounds like the user does not have the ability to edit them?
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
It sounds like the user does not have the ability to edit them?
That is what I got as well. Not 100% on this, but I do not believe they will be editable.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

One question I had that wasn't answered, the first pitch hitter quirk, will that work with quick counts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
That is what I got as well. Not 100% on this, but I do not believe they will be editable.
Not directly, but I believe they said some are tied to directly to attributes? So then, those can probably be edited by changing a player's ratings.

Which ones those are specifically, I don't know.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I posted these questions a bit ago in one of the dev stream threads, but am moving the post here (minus the questions answered by the above info) to be more on topic. Also, the info about the AI not recognizing quirks explains why we saw Joe Smith left in to face a quirky Hyun-Soo Kim in yesterday's stream.

First quirk question....Say, for example, the threshold for having the "hitting machine" quirk is 85+ contact rating (not sure what the threshold actually is). Say I take a guy without the quirk and edit him to having 90 contact. Will he then get the quirk in real time right as I'm finished editing him? Does it go into effect right away? Does it wait until the next day/week/month/season to repopulate his list of quirks? If I edit a guy with the quirk to be below the threshold, does he lose the "hitting machine" quirk right away? I realize it's dynamic, but my question is more to how frequently do the quirks update (daily, yearly etc).

Second quirk thing....Are the splits-based quirks (home/road, night/day, left/right) hard-coded from 2016 data? Are they based on a larger sample? One danger area with splits-based quirks is sample size--if we're reading too much into 100 ABs or whatever, the data is likely not very accurate at all simply due to low sample size. Many, many players will show a particular split one season and completely reverse the trend the very next season. I know the devs have confirmed that sample size factors into their performance-based regression/progression system, but am unsure about the quirks. I also am aware they base ratings on 3-year samples of stats, but, again not sure if this is the same for quirks.

Third quirk question....How much better do a guy's splits need to be to get a splits-based quirk? Does he need to bat 15 points better at night than during the day? Would he get the "road warrior" quirk if he batted .301 on the road and .299 at home?

If Luis, Victor, or another dev just happens to be floating around this thread and wants to take a stab at any of this, hypothetically speaking of course, I certainly wouldn't be angry about them chiming in. lol
1 - Attribute Quirks update as soon as the rating hits.

2 - I believe the situational quirks are from 2016. Not 100% on that either, but on the stream they mentioned 2016 (although it could have been a misspeak on their part)

3 - Split based quirks are not dynamic, so they would have to be programmed and changed in a roster update by SIE.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
Rookie

jgb3's Arena

OVR: 0
Player Quirks

Big question: do SITUATIONAL quirks effect overall rating? If they do not, that is definitely an arbitrage opportunity for guys with similar ratings.

For example, let's say I have an 82 overall closer without the "fighter" quirk. Let's assume the fighter quirk delivers a 5% attribute boost across the board in the 9th inning. Now, let's say I have an 79 overall closer with fighter.

Guess what? I'm going with the 79 overall guy. And if this logic isn't engrained in the CPU, I'll be able to screw the CPU in trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by jgb3; 03-10-2017 at 03:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »