Home

Digital copy vs Hard Copy

This is a discussion on Digital copy vs Hard Copy within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 27
Re: Digital copy vs Hard Copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotesMaGotes
I am a disc man, not because I don't want digital copies, but mainly because you can't get discounts on digital downloads. Like the Amazon Prime new game discount. I like spending less money on things I buy and I would love to get the digital but I enjoyed buying the MVP edition for less than the regular edition costs.
This is how I feel as well. I got the 17 MVP edition for only $38 after discounts! I also like having all the game cases for the series on my shelf. Love those steel books.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2017, 10:51 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 2

This will be the third year now that I have chosen the MLB The Show digital version over the physical one (I've been buying MLB The Show every year since 12 and the early copies were all physical ones). With digital I just like that I can be playing the game at the stroke of 10:00:00 on release day (I am in the mountain time zone) and if I went with the physical copies I would need to wait until the next day when the stores open before I could begin playing.

But the PS Network does screw us on some of the titles. Recently I wanted to pick up an older copy of the NBA 2k basketball series. I am not a hardcore basketball person, so buying the latest iteration of the game is not needed. Problem is, is that the PS Network was still selling the NBA 2k15 and 2k16 digital versions at full price. WTF I said, no way I am paying full price for 2 and 3 year old copies of the game. So I ended up buying a used physical copy of 2k16 for only $15 at a EB Games location. Sometimes Digital makes sense, other times physical copies are better.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 0

How many games generally fit on a system with digital downloads? I'd do digital downloads all day if I wasn't so concerned about wasting hard drive space.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #28
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
How many games generally fit on a system with digital downloads? I'd do digital downloads all day if I wasn't so concerned about wasting hard drive space.
Digital games take up same amount of HDD space as physical.
All PS4 games are installed, fully, no matter what.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #29
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Depends on 1. the size of the game and 2 the size of your hdd. You can upgrade your PS4 to have 1+ TB or use an external hard drive (latest update made that happen) to save your games/data.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #30
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Digital games take up same amount of HDD space as physical.
All PS4 games are installed, fully, no matter what.
This seems illogical to me. If a digital download and a physical copy are both fully installed then why would we need the physical disc after first installation? There seems to be "something" still on the disc which requires you to have the disc in the system every time you play it. I doubt the entire disc is just copied into your system. I could totally be wrong but it just doesn't seem logical to me.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #31
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
This seems illogical to me. If a digital download and a physical copy are both fully installed then why would we need the physical disc after first installation? There seems to be "something" still on the disc which requires you to have the disc in the system every time you play it. I doubt the entire disc is just copied into your system. I could totally be wrong but it just doesn't seem logical to me.
Go look at the size of your MLB 16 install on your HDD and then go see what the download will be for MLB 17....They are in same ballpark (no pun intended).

Also quick Google search confirms what I said.

The point of "needing" the disc after you install it is obvious. You bought the game and they do not want you sharing the game with anyone else. It is a restriction, put there on purpose....not an oversight.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 03-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
I didn't make the system lol. I agree but go look at the size of your MLB 16 install on your HDD and then go see what the download will be for MLB 17....They are in same ballpark (no pun intended).

Also quick Google search confirms what I said.
Now that I think about it, the disc thing might be an old style type of copy protection because if the entire game copied on to the system and you didn't need the disc then one could easily buy one copy of the game and then just have it install onto every friends system. So it could be something like that which is why the disc is still required.

But good to know this might change how I buy games forever.

My show 16 is a digital download, maybe someone who bought the physical copy can let is know the size of the install and we can compare.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »