Home

Spring Training in Franchise Mode

This is a discussion on Spring Training in Franchise Mode within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Rookie

SoxSoxSox's Arena

OVR: 0
Spring Training in Franchise Mode

Do you guys play it? How do you handle it? Curious to see how others handle the games that don't count.

I used to play all of them, but the last few years (as in game releases) I haven't bothered, and only gone with the top rated players at each spot to compile my 40-man and MLB roster.

Debating getting back into it, it's not that much more when you play all 162, but Boston doesn't really have any battles this spring except for catcher and I already know what I want to do at the backstop position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
Banned

Jaysguy44's Arena

Re: Spring Training in Franchise Mode

I love playing Spring Training, i do it every year. Play every inning..i just wish the 40 man roster could be like 70 cause i try and match the real Blue Jays roster as per real spring training. Also i use spring training to modify sliders so by the last week its fine tuned for the regular season. Would love to see more spring training parks too..but yeah spring training is awesome!.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
Rookie

WhiteBunny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSoxSox
Do you guys play it? How do you handle it? Curious to see how others handle the games that don't count.
Actually, for me it's the most important part of the season. I play always Spring Training to build my lineup, focus on its strenght and weakness, mix it up here and there to try different assets, test all the players in the 40-roster for the cut-off at the end of march ( especially pitchers, windup + speed of the cursor make a huge difference for me ). It's a key moment.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSoxSox

I used to play all of them, but the last few years (as in game releases) I haven't bothered, and only gone with the top rated players at each spot to compile my 40-man and MLB roster.

Debating getting back into it, it's not that much more when you play all 162, but Boston doesn't really have any battles this spring except for catcher and I already know what I want to do at the backstop position.
I cope with spring training, it's difficult to use prospects when the CPU uses the 25 man roster the whole time (or 80-85% of the time). Every other preseason mode for sports games has no problem mixing up the roster the appropriate way for its sport. The Show used to be better at it, but they've just neglected the mode forever now.

I still do everything I can in Spring Training despite the neglect for the mode and play everyone for as much as possible. It's always helpful for final lineup orders and shaping up the bullpen at least no matter which team or flaw in the game mode.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:35 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I'd like to see ST expanded to NRI's, split-squad games, among other things, then I'd play more than the 4or5 I presently do. Quick Manage and CritSit will probably get me to 'play' at least a few more in 17. So thats a good step forward IMO

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 04:31 AM   #6
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Always especially if I get new players or want to try different lineups.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

I actually make a spreadsheet and setup my lineups for each game along with pitchers and innings they pitch. I also use it as an opportunity to test different game settings out. I find spring training almost as much fun as regular season. But I probably will use QM some with it this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

In year one of every franchise I start I typically play 15-17 spring games and that is it.

But once I get to year two things change. I really take a deep dive into the roster and get a good hard look at guys on the fringe as well as my younger long term talent on my 40 man roster.

Now with quick manage mode I can get through spring training a little quicker and play more key moments.

I really would love to see more of a focus on Spring Training in future versions with non roster invites, split squads, and a "spring training players to watch," who’s hot, who’s not kinda thing inside of franchise mode. And CPU lineup logic where they use the entire 40 man roster.

There are many things they can do to improve Spring Training and hopefully they can focus on the GM aspect of Franchise mode as a whole for 18 now that the gameplay and presentation has received a huge upgrade.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »