Home

So, the Griffey Program Looks Impossible

This is a discussion on So, the Griffey Program Looks Impossible within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #33
Rookie

sc050610's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: So, the Griffey Program Looks Impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
I dunno, just going off what someone said previously in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
The buy-in for BR is the same as last year. It's the Events that do not have a buy-in.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradek87
Agreed. Take the program without the BR and 4 hits missions and it is still extremely hard and something most wont finish and will take forever for those that do. Include those 2 and you have to rely a ton on your opponent and pure luck. Replacing those with something like hit 10 home runs with all star Griffey in season games and hit 20 home runs in BR games makes it reasonable and still challenging (but without the extreme luck/opponent factor).

And even the archer one (throw a cg shut out or 2 hitter (presumably with archer) in a season game) could be absurd. Do quits count? How about 3 innings games?
I hate online play. I gave it the old college try last year. Played some BR. . . and I hated every second. Lost a game when the cleanup hitter did a sac bunt. Lost another game when a fast runner from second scored on a bunt because my 2B animations were all over the place.

Bunt cheeser, bunt cheeser, bunt cheeser followed by a guy who tries to force me to quit by taking as much time as possible between pitches and uses up all his wait time. It made a 3 inning game a half the night event.

I'm just too old and have too little time to deal with that garbage anymore. What that means is I will never get Griffey Jr. prime. I know there will be other players I can forget about as well.

What it comes down to for me is just how many of those players there are. If I'm left out in the dark because I don't want to play H2H, then I buy the base game next year and no money gets put into anything else. I'll d/l a roster set with the legends I want to play with and DD will be a memory.

If I can get a good amount of diamond players and there are enough challenges to grind for, I'll spend my time doing those and won't regret not having Griffey Jr. For me, this is just an all depends thing now. I'll see over the next few days if DD is still something I'll be interested in or of it's something I'll move away from. (please note, this isn't me whining, SDS can do whatever they want. Their game. I can also do what I want with my time and my money.)
Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #35
MVP

baseballsim's Arena

OVR: 6

I read that you are given a choice of what missions to do. Is this true? If you are only a h2h player then you can still achieve by doing h2h missions only or something to that effect?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #36
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

Difficulty depends on your abilities as well as your strategy to attack the program. I likely wont complete it but it gives me something to shoot for though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gfhxhnhghnhhhhh.JPG (155.7 KB, 115 views)
Old 03-27-2017, 11:22 AM   #37
D13
Pro

D13's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesgiants
Difficulty depends on your abilities as well as your strategy to attack the program. I likely wont complete it but it gives me something to shoot for though.
gonna be a fun grind.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #38
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

That's the point of the program. If you looked last year the teams were made up of essentially the same 25-30 players. So this is one of the ways that SSDS is trying to get more variation in cards used. Others include these events.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
That's the point of the program. If you looked last year the teams were made up of essentially the same 25-30 players. So this is one of the ways that SSDS is trying to get more variation in cards used. Others include these events.
This causes more problems than that. What they created is that quality of cards are tied directly into the skill level and the duration of play. So what you'll see happening is that people who have higher level skills and also play for hours on end will separate themselves from the rest by all having identical "upper tier" layouts while each skill/playtime set under them will be identical as well. You'll probably be able to identify people just on their sets. That uniformity makes sets boring after time, we've heard the complaints there. This time someone will reach their ceiling and that's where they'll be all season. While the argument is made that if everything is easy it becomes a "why even bother?" sort of deal knowing that there is a very clear ceiling makes people think the same way. We hear a lot about how The Show is trying to take in new players all the time because hey, who doesn't want more customers? Problem is when you have situations like this you're essentially telling new players "nope, none of these are for you". This is just talking about able bodied people. For anyone with any sort of disability and on their best day physically is only an average player they're excluded from many of the best cards. It makes everything appear very uninviting overall. EDIT: sorry for the format, I had everything nice and neat but when I hit submit it comes out as a big clump of words.

Last edited by Jaysonguy; 03-27-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #40
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysonguy
This causes more problems than that. What they created is that quality of cards are tied directly into the skill level and the duration of play. So what you'll see happening is that people who have higher level skills and also play for hours on end will separate themselves from the rest by all having identical "upper tier" layouts while each skill/playtime set under them will be identical as well. You'll probably be able to identify people just on their sets. That uniformity makes sets boring after time, we've heard the complaints there. This time someone will reach their ceiling and that's where they'll be all season. While the argument is made that if everything is easy it becomes a "why even bother?" sort of deal knowing that there is a very clear ceiling makes people think the same way. We hear a lot about how The Show is trying to take in new players all the time because hey, who doesn't want more customers? Problem is when you have situations like this you're essentially telling new players "nope, none of these are for you". This is just talking about able bodied people. For anyone with any sort of disability and on their best day physically is only an average player they're excluded from many of the best cards. It makes everything appear very uninviting overall. EDIT: sorry for the format, I had everything nice and neat but when I hit submit it comes out as a big clump of words.
They did something similar last year and probably again this year. There was a set of Flashback cards that were exclusive to Battle Royale. Including what the community thought was the best card available a 2004 Postseason FB Carlos Beltran. It was released in June or July, iirc, and you could only get it by winning at least 12 BR games in 1 run. Then in January it was released into the Donaldson captain store, which angered some of the fan base. And it was still a grind to get it from the captain store. As you needed Donaldson at 50 as well as 5K in tickets. I think I was lucky to get 5K in the 6 months I played (off and on). And I was fine with it because I knew I didn't put in the work to get it and I wasn't expecting SSDS to hand out the best card. When I heard that no one would have Griffey until the All Star Break at the earliest I was ecstatic as was the majority of the community.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »