Home

Early Impressions of MLB The Show 17

This is a discussion on Early Impressions of MLB The Show 17 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Early Impressions of MLB The Show 17

After taking a year off from The Show and video games in general last year, I am thoroughly enjoying the new features they've added. I've only really taken part in RTTS until OSFM comes out like always but I like the non-linear, RPG aspect this year in RTTS.

The commentary is something I see a lot of comments about. I really like having Harrold Reynolds and Plesac in the booth. There is PLENTY of new commentary lines and am loving the dynamic tidbits that gets tossed in over time. However, the only thing I am still seeing that has plagued commentary of just about any sports game except 2k is the repetition of phrases. In my several hours of playing yesterday, I heard Plesac and HR repeat the exact same thing multiple games in a row, and actually once or twice in the same game.

I know, understand, and appreciate the work and time it takes to record and edit and perfect the commentary but I feel like for how long this stuff has been going on, there should be some idea on how to minimize the repetition.

Aside from that relatively minor detail cuz I often listen to music when I play anyway, I have no complaints in the early stages.

My Pennsylvania A&T Baseball Dynasty (MVP NCAA 06)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:18 PM   #10
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Not a good start...

I'm a Show veteran, so I have no doubt I'll enjoy the game immensely. However, my first day with the game was almost a complete disaster. After waiting hours to download my Digital Deluxe version, I was unable to connect to the servers even one time...all night. Ok, fine. Fired up exhibition, Red Sox vs. Yankees. Game looks amazing, but certain issues continually plague this series; frame rate drops during some cutscenes, etc; Harold Reynolds repeats literally the exact same lines when discussing Porcello and then an inning later when discussing Tanaka; gave up my first runs on a line drives to the OF that go right through the player with no animation to catch the ball triggered. This happened again later in the game. Ended up losing 7-6. Will update impressions once I get a chance to play more.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
Pro

rkocjay's Arena

OVR: 0
For the short time I have played I really enjoy the presentation of the mlb network as well as the ball physics. Playing on the pro makes a huge difference to me from last year with the frame rate improvement. I always like the speed of the pitches even though I am struggling on slower pitches. The graphics needs not much to say than it has to be the best it has ever been.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

So far just ok. Way too many cut scenes (is there a way to turn those off) during games. The commentary is very repetitive (I swear I've heard everything and i'm only like 8 games in). Ball physics look cool, but seem random. Computer fouling off way too many strikes. Outfielders still running into and sticking to walls. And i'm not a fan of the change to analog pitching.

The graphics look great (even on standard ps4 with benq). The interface is better outside the game. The missions are more varied (even if I'll never get the Griffey). I think the game will will have even more staying/playing power over the season this year.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5
Other then the new ball physics...It s all the same, nothing really new. Please but for the grace of GOD...Get rid of Matt V....He's great in real life but in game he is as stale as old bread! The other two sound like they are not in the booth at all...very bad. .Also, why do we have to see the developers as fans in the game?......I am sick of it...enough!...It's like yea, look at us, we make the best baseball game show-offs....I think this is it for me....no more every year getting the show until they really have a drastic change...maybe in PS5..lol
Old 03-29-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

The ball physics and the atmosphere are amazing, not sure how 16 was, since I wasnt able to get it, but things sure have improved from 15.

The AI at times seems smarter with pitching changes in later innings, on bringing a lefty in to face a tough lefty hitter.

Unfortunately the AI is still dumb as can be when bringing in position players late in a game. I saw the Pirates, bring in Allen Hanson to play catcher after using him as a PH'er. That should never ever happen. Dont know if they cant fix it in a patch or not, considering it took them this long to make better decision on pitching changes, Im guessing this wont get fixed.

Other than that the game is definitely made major improvement to a already very good game. 1 thing you can typically count on with the devs of this game, is they will always put out a solid game each yr, which I cant say that about other sports games each yr.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-29-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
Not a good start...

I'm a Show veteran, so I have no doubt I'll enjoy the game immensely. However, my first day with the game was almost a complete disaster. After waiting hours to download my Digital Deluxe version, I was unable to connect to the servers even one time...all night. Ok, fine. Fired up exhibition, Red Sox vs. Yankees. Game looks amazing, but certain issues continually plague this series; frame rate drops during some cutscenes, etc; Harold Reynolds repeats literally the exact same lines when discussing Porcello and then an inning later when discussing Tanaka; gave up my first runs on a line drives to the OF that go right through the player with no animation to catch the ball triggered. This happened again later in the game. Ended up losing 7-6. Will update impressions once I get a chance to play more.
"Harold Reynolds repeats literally the exact same lines when discussing Porcello and then an inning later when discussing Tanaka"

To be fair that's a pretty accurate representation of the real life Harold Reynolds.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #16
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1Racing
Other then the new ball physics...It s all the same, nothing really new. Please but for the grace of GOD...Get rid of Matt V....He's great in real life but in game he is as stale as old bread! The other two sound like they are not in the booth at all...very bad. .Also, why do we have to see the developers as fans in the game?......I am sick of it...enough!...It's like yea, look at us, we make the best baseball game show-offs....I think this is it for me....no more every year getting the show until they really have a drastic change...maybe in PS5..lol
lol agree on the devs in the stands, it was cool 1 year, would even be ok to have them far an inbtwn somewhere in the crowd still but if they are still so prominent it's really an immersion killer for me! Are the still shown pregame as well holding sings and such? That would be a killer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »