Home

The hitting in this game is off...

This is a discussion on The hitting in this game is off... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The hitting in this game is off...

If you are getting frustrated at the plate, then the developers have done a good job. Work the count, foul off the tough pitches, and finally get a good pitch to rip.....and you pop it up. Baseball!

Now we just need an option that lets us break the bat in half or to pound on the water cooler with it.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:32 AM   #10
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
I'm saying he's not making an out 70% of the time.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Explain Aroldis Chapman, Mariano Rivera, etc... Everyone knew what was coming still.... couldn't.... hit.... it.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-04-2017, 12:53 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
Explain Aroldis Chapman, Mariano Rivera, etc... Everyone knew what was coming still.... couldn't.... hit.... it.
I See what you're getting at, but I think he's actually right on this one. Good hitters probably hit high 300s-400 if they get the pitch they're looking for, and they probably hover around 200 if they're fooled...hence an average in the high 200s-300s.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #12
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayheykid01
I See what you're getting at, but I think he's actually right on this one. Good hitters probably hit high 300s-400 if they get the pitch they're looking for, and they probably hover around 200 if they're fooled...hence an average in the high 200s-300s.
Regardless a difference of at most 10% isn't going to change anything about the ridiculous complaining about not hitting those pitches 500ft.

There seems to be some misconception that hitters would do that on a pitch they're sitting on 60% of the time or higher. People just don't understand how difficult it is to square up a baseball like that. Especially if you add in that you are also slightly inclined to over-swing when you get your pitch which makes it even harder to square it up. And yes even major leaguers and HoF players over-swing on them fat pitches occasionally.

I'm just going off my experiences as a minor league pitcher. We held bullpen sessions where the hitters knew what was coming and were sitting on it. You would be crazy surprised at the swing and misses let alone the balls that wouldn't have been base hits.

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-04-2017, 01:15 AM   #13
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
People say they want realism but I honestly don't think they understand the realism they want.
This right here.. 1000% accurate.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:20 AM   #14
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayheykid01
In terms of good hitters, 77 hitters in the MLB last season hit over .270 ... I still believe that not making perfect contact on a ball even if you know its coming is more probable than not.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:27 AM   #15
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16
In terms of good hitters, 77 hitters in the MLB last season hit over .270 ... I still believe that not making perfect contact on a ball even if you know its coming is more probable than not.
Good investigative reporting there MLamm lol. Another thing to keep in mind here is it's a lot more common/easier to sit on something in the Show as opposed to actually batting.

I can sit curve in the Show and still get my bat on high 90s heaters, even though I play with the pitch speeds on 10. Also taking the risk of coming up empty on the game is a lot easier than taking that risk in the majors.

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Regardless a difference of at most 10% isn't going to change anything about the ridiculous complaining about not hitting those pitches 500ft.

There seems to be some misconception that hitters would do that on a pitch they're sitting on 60% of the time or higher. People just don't understand how difficult it is to square up a baseball like that. Especially if you add in that you are also slightly inclined to over-swing when you get your pitch which makes it even harder to square it up. And yes even major leaguers and HoF players over-swing on them fat pitches occasionally.

I'm just going off my experiences as a minor league pitcher. We held bullpen sessions where the hitters knew what was coming and were sitting on it. You would be crazy surprised at the swing and misses let alone the balls that wouldn't have been base hits.
I agree. Too many people (gamers, fans, etc) just don't understand what it is like to stand in the box with a professional pitcher on the mound. It's one of the hardest things in all of sports (and for me it was downright scary sometimes).

Professional hitters are going to hit the ball hard if they are sitting on something and they see it... but that still only translates into a .300 average. It's not very often that they are going to see that pitch. And when they do, they have a split second to realize that it's in their wheelhouse and not at their head.

There is a pretty loud discussion going on now within MLB about the game being too boring. Sure the downtime and game length are an issue, but what is more troubling is that a huge chunk of the ABs are ending in strike outs.

If we had a true MLB simulation, we'd all be bored as hell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »