Home

OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #17
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
From what I've been reading, the developers don't put Franchise Mode high on their priority list because market research puts more value into arcade / online modes.
Being able to play a quick game, PvP against somebody else is a huge draw now-a-days...that's why first-person shooters are so popular because of the PvP and the games can be quick (15-20 minutes).

I love Franchise and am hopefully it continues to progress and gets a revamp/upgrade in 2018. The OS community is admittedly not the microcosm of the fan base of this game however but we can always provide our feedback.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
I wouldn't want a full blown OOTP in the Show. OOTP is way too in-depth, and that depth can cause serious bugs I can't imagine being handled on a console. But it would be interesting to come up with a hybrid. There's really no easy solution, but there are a few difficult ones.

As for your modification, however you want to word #5, it's basically letting SCEA do whatever they want. I hate that option.
I can definitely respect that. From my own perspective, I've logged countless thousands of hours tremendously enjoying the Show experience. I've come to trust San Diego Studio and IMO they have earned the right to move their game in the direction they want. While the game doesnt do everything I personally want, it far exceeds any experience I've had with any game, across any genre.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #19
MVP

BigOscar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Don't quote me on this but I think I remember someone mentioning at one time (either on stream or here on the forums) that the most popular (or most played) mode was RttS. That may have changed with the advent of DD, BR and Conquest but I think I remember someone saying that at one time.
I remember them saying that on a stream, but to be fair they were talking about the number of games played. RTTS games take about 5 minutes to play, so of course a ton of those get played. Most DD games are 3 innings long and only take 15 minutes, so of course more of those get played. But in franchise, games take 45 minutes and an awful lot of time is spent outside of games, but still playing the mode, so to just count the amount of games played seemed a pretty terrible way of judging how popular a mode is. Time spent playing it would be a more useful measure (DD would almost certainly win there for the amount people spend working the market)

On a second point, Franchise mode simply isn't very good at the moment, so it's not surprising if it's not as played as the more polished modes. Franchise is played by people willing to come up with workarounds to get around the bad aspects of the game, we're an incredibly committed bunch who desperately want to play a franchise mode so do whatever we can to make it playable. Would it be played more if it was better and didn't need so much work on the users part to make it realistic and interesting? I'd have to imagine so.

Part of me wants new features, to make the game more immersive and give me more control over things. But a bigger part of me just wants the game they've made to actually work better. Trade logic that isn't shockingly awful, scouting and drafting that isn't pretty terrible, player development that even vaguely resembles how things happen in real life, players being valued at the amount of money that they are in real life when it comes to signing contracts, the computer to actually make proper roster moves. The list goes on and on of things that are on the game but are just implemented poorly. If they just fixed the features they already have they could improve it immensely, before even adding a single new feature

Last edited by BigOscar; 04-12-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
But a bigger part of me just wants the game they've made to actually work better. Trade logic that isn't shockingly awful, scouting and drafting that isn't pretty terrible, player development that even vaguely resembles how things happen in real life, players being valued at the amount of money that they are in real life when it comes to signing contracts, the computer to actually make proper roster moves. The list goes on and on of things that are on the game but are just implemented poorly. If they just fixed the features they already have they could improve it immensely, before even adding a single new feature
This is exactly where I'm at in thinking about Franchise. I understand that people want more in-depth features, but the core of the mode -- scouting, drafting, prospect pool, and player development/progression -- needs to be fixed before ANYTHING is added.

Also, the idea that SCEA would "share" Franchise mode with other dev teams or studios seems ridiculously pie-in-the-sky to me: share the $ with a bunch of other people when the mode itself probably isn't a big seller? The pie won't get much bigger at all and everyone agrees to take a smaller piece? That's just not going to happen.

The sad reality for us Franchise Geeks is that DD is an enormous money-maker for the Show, and MOST of their energy and creativity will go towards that from now on. Just browse the missions and events, they're so damn cool, but I have NO desire to grind like that OR to play online, so I just sigh and move on.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #21
MVP

We can't have any hey dev threads so instead we start what's basically a hey dev thread and just at the top state "this isn't a hey dev thread but let's talk about this as if it was a hey dev thread"... I like this tactic lol. Good job!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
We can't have any hey dev threads so instead we start what's basically a hey dev thread and just at the top state "this isn't a hey dev thread but let's talk about this as if it was a hey dev thread"... I like this tactic lol. Good job!
there ought to be an official ''hey dev'' thread complete with sticky
a developer could address anything they wanted and ignore anything they wanted

A Work in Progress
Old 04-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
there ought to be an official ''hey dev'' thread complete with sticky
a developer could address anything they wanted and ignore anything they wanted
I don't really see the problem with hey dev threads. Maybe it's wrong to straight up say Hey devs answer this now please but in general they're already here and willing to interact with us so I don't see why we can't engage them with questions respectfully and when appropriate. Or maybe that's the whole point because too many are not doing it the right way.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:23 PM   #24
MVP

G3no_11's Arena

OVR: 9

Unfortunately after the way things have progressed with this series, I think the only way to get Franchise Mode improved is to come up with a strategy that basically forces people to spend their real money on the mode.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »