Home

OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode?

EDIT: If you're new to this thread, my favorite solution is in post 70: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...3&postcount=70

--------

What options do we have for making Franchise Mode a higher priority for the developers?

From what I've been reading, the developers don't put Franchise Mode high on their priority list because market research puts more value into arcade / online modes. I don't know what percentage of Show customers use Franchise mode, but I have to think it's a significant number. 20%? 40?

Here are the options I can think of:

1. We speak up as effectively as we can, perhaps putting a petition together or even a petition group that periodically messages the developers with our wish list.

2. We strike gold and find an investor who can pay Sony to contract out the Franchise Mode to a team of rogue developers.

3. We convince Sony to work with OOTP, perhaps contracting with them to run Franchise mode.

4. We design our own game from the ground up.

5. We continue as we are, deflated and defeated, believing Franchise mode is a lost cause.

I'm new to the Show community, so I don't know how developer interaction works. Do our OS posts have any affect on development, or are we just preaching to the choir? Based on what I've seen, it seems like the developers are active in the community or are at least reading these posts.

Presuming developers read this, I hope we can come to a reasonable decision. The issues I and many others have with the Franchise Mode can be fixed in a small amount of time. Most of my issues are menu-related - the trade system, roster issues, player development, and so on. Gameplay itself doesn't bother me so much - the developers have a good grasp on that. I just know that if they let me and 5 other amateurs take over the Franchise Mode, we'd make it so much better than what we're bound to get next year, or even in 2020.

Maybe I'm totally misguided here. Maybe the devs really do have Franchise Mode high on their priority list? Either way, it's frustrating to see how in-depth OOTP is, while the Show - which is by far my favorite baseball game ever - has one of the most archaic, crude, and odd Franchise modes I've ever seen. It's weird how we can read player Twitter posts, but we can't offer them contract extensions in-season? What?

The Franchise Mode gamers don't need to hear the negatives - you already know what needs improving. So, what are we going to do about it? Are we going to sit on our hands, or is there some tangible, significant action we can take as a group to let SCEA know how much Franchise Mode means to us?

Last edited by BillPeener; 04-14-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Pro

Re: OS community: How can we improve Franchise Mode?

BillPeener,

Some interesting points you have here. I like where your head is at. Let's see where this goes!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

I dont know if I would go as far s to say Franchise mode isnt a priority with them. I think MLBTS is still the 1 sports game, where the majority of their fan base is Franchise players, but of course some of them do go online to play as well.

Would I like to see improvements to the Franchise mode, yes, as in a better Spring Training logic for teams, and just have it be more like it is IRL, with player invites, and better CPU manager Logic during that time. Along with more Spring Ball Parks, its ridiculous there is only 1 for each league for ST, especially when the old console had more.

You made a lot of very good points, and yes Franchise mode does need to be improved upon, and added too. But its not like they havent done anything to it over the past few years either.

I would prefer them not to even put time into the gimic modes, as in DD, and such, but unfortunately this is where our sports video games have come too, gimic modes, which by the way, make the game company money, because kids will actually spend money to buy thos stub things, or whatever they are called. So I get why games seem to be focusing on this stuff, because it makes them money, and they are a business after all.

Personally Im getting to the point where my buying baseball and basketball video games every single yr are close to done with. I figure why by a game each and every yr, when the mode I play isnt a main focus any longer. Its just what gaming has come to now day. Im not mad about really, why wouldnt they focus on gimic stuff, that brings them in extra cash, thats just good business. Unfortunately that good business on their end, does hurt what I play, but it is what it is.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
I dont know if I would go as far s to say Franchise mode isnt a priority with them. I think MLBTS is still the 1 sports game, where the majority of their fan base is Franchise players, but of course some of them do go online to play as well.

You made a lot of very good points, and yes Franchise mode does need to be improved upon, and added too. But its not like they havent done anything to it over the past few years either.
Just so I'm clear, I intentionally worded my post to say "higher priority" - I'm sure Franchise mode is already one of their priorities. They certainly haven't ignored it, but I'm interested in finding out how we can make it an even higher priority.

Quote:
I would prefer them not to even put time into the gimic modes, as in DD, and such, but unfortunately this is where our sports video games have come too, gimic modes, which by the way, make the game company money, because kids will actually spend money to buy thos stub things, or whatever they are called. So I get why games seem to be focusing on this stuff, because it makes them money, and they are a business after all.
Exactly. So, is there any way we Franchise guys can convince SCEA that it's in their business interests to make Franchise mode a higher priority? That's the crux of my post. What can we do to make a real impact in this area?

Quote:
Personally Im getting to the point where my buying baseball and basketball video games every single yr are close to done with. I figure why by a game each and every yr, when the mode I play isnt a main focus any longer. Its just what gaming has come to now day. Im not mad about really, why wouldnt they focus on gimic stuff, that brings them in extra cash, thats just good business. Unfortunately that good business on their end, does hurt what I play, but it is what it is.
Honestly, if Franchise mode is relatively unchanged next year, I won't purchase '18. '17 was the first opening day release of a baseball game for me since 2005. I bought '16 used in January and enjoyed it so much that I went out and got '17. I enjoy playing the game, but I'm a Franchise guy, so if it's going to continue being this bad, then SCEA is losing my $60. I'm guessing I'm in a vast minority, and SCEA won't care if they lose my money. And I hate taking that route because I'd rather buy the game than not.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
I think MLBTS is still the 1 sports game, where the majority of their fan base is Franchise players, but of course some of them do go online to play as well.
I don't think this is entirely accurate - someone can correct me if I am wrong, however.

I thought I remember seeing that the most popular modes in The Show are RTTS and DD, according to SDS data. Franchise generally isn't played all that much in relation to those other modes. Hence the reasons those areas of the game get much of the attention - not to mention the extra money-making potential DD has.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
I don't think this is entirely accurate - someone can correct me if I am wrong, however.

I thought I remember seeing that the most popular modes in The Show are RTTS and DD, according to SDS data. Franchise generally isn't played all that much in relation to those other modes. Hence the reasons those areas of the game get much of the attention - not to mention the extra money-making potential DD has.
And if Franchise mode is really that unpopular, then I can't blame the devs for adjusting their priorities accordingly. But man, I would kill to have the opportunity to work on the Franchise system. If only I could pick #3 and convince SCEA to contract out their Franchise mode to OOTP, now all of a sudden the pressure is taken off them, and they can focus more on what their customers really want. I would gladly take up the job of merging the two engines.

Combining OOTP with the Show is the ultimate fantasy.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach

Don't quote me on this but I think I remember someone mentioning at one time (either on stream or here on the forums) that the most popular (or most played) mode was RttS. That may have changed with the advent of DD, BR and Conquest but I think I remember someone saying that at one time.

Last edited by dalger21; 04-12-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Removed speculatory name.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:46 PM   #8
Rookie

Hockey13Playa's Arena

I play both OOTP and MLB The Show. I wish they could marry and have offspring. That would be the PERFECT baseball game. Thats what sucks... sometimes I want to actually play the game... so the show, other times I like to just watch and manage/GM and customize and use my imagination... so OOTP.

I wish we could take a lot of the OOTP features and management aspects and put them into the show. A guy can dream...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »