Home

The commentary still needs work

This is a discussion on The commentary still needs work within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #17
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The commentary still needs work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I still think the problem is only having one commentary team. Imagine if every game you watched on TV was done by the same team. Instead of one 3 man team, I'd like a couple or three 2 man booths.
#pipedreams

Short Version: "Quality over quantity." It honestly doesn't matter how many commentary teams the Show implements, even if it's hypothetically all 30 broadcast teams, given that the same "blueprint" is used to script, record, piece together, and digitally trigger lines during the game, broadcast team 1 will sound just like broadcast team 2, team 3, and so forth if that original "blueprint" remains. It's a matter of getting the very first broadcast team to sound natural together before ever thinking about getting multiple booths.

Longer Version: I radio listen to more Oakland Athletics baseball games than I watch during the regular season, and I still love listening to the same Athletics announcer over and over again. If they were the only ones calling the playoffs and the world series, it would still be great because they sound magically great. The problem is not the number of people manning the booth, but the way the dialogue is spoken and strung together. Since MLB the Show sticks to the same "blueprint" on how to script, record, piece together, and digitally trigger lines during the game, that's the bigger concern on why commentary have sounded forever the way it does.

Even if it's hypothetically feasible for The Show to bring in all 30 broadcast teams (or simply more than one team), if The Show uses the current "blueprint" to capture, execute and implement commentary, commentary will still be the same and have the same recurring concerns.

Side remark: Example, the same goes with all their pitcher's pitching motion. They're using the same pitching "blueprint" from their first pitcher and most likely down to their last pitcher. Despite their best effort to "fix" their animation sequences this year, the same legacy concerns still arises because The Show is still using the same pitching "blueprint." I've been simply watching youtube footage of real life pitchers and MLB the Show pitchers and I finally noticed some major concerns on why the same pitching animation legacy concerns still exist (i.e. unnatural arm placements, missing the key "triangle" throwing motion, lack of tucking in the glove side arms resulting in a pterodactyl" effect, concurrent and unison torso and hip rotations, lack of independent hip rotation, missing anterior pelvic forward tilt, missing anterior angular front stretch and rear arm stretch, pitchers being too upright on follow through, etc.) I'll create a thread in the near future to address this concern with supporting graphics.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Old 04-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Short Version: "Quality over quantity." It honestly doesn't matter how many commentary teams the Show implements, even if it's hypothetically all 30 broadcast teams, given that the same "blueprint" is used to script, record, piece together, and digitally trigger lines during the game, broadcast team 1 will sound just like broadcast team 2, team 3, and so forth if that original "blueprint" remains. It's a matter of getting the very first broadcast team to sound natural together before ever thinking about getting multiple booths.

Longer Version: I radio listen to more Oakland Athletics baseball games than I watch during the regular season, and I still love listening to the same Athletics announcer over and over again. If they were the only ones calling the playoffs and the world series, it would still be great because they sound magically great. The problem is not the number of people manning the booth, but the way the dialogue is spoken and strung together. Since MLB the Show sticks to the same "blueprint" on how to script, record, piece together, and digitally trigger lines during the game, that's the bigger concern on why commentary have sounded forever the way it does.

Even if it's hypothetically feasible for The Show to bring in all 30 broadcast teams (or simply more than one team), if The Show uses the current "blueprint" to capture, execute and implement commentary, commentary will still be the same and have the same recurring concerns.

Side remark: Example, the same goes with all their pitcher's pitching motion. They're using the same pitching "blueprint" from their first pitcher and most likely down to their last pitcher. Despite their best effort to "fix" their animation sequences this year, the same legacy concerns still arises because The Show is still using the same pitching "blueprint." I've been simply watching youtube footage of real life pitchers and MLB the Show pitchers and I finally noticed some major concerns on why the same pitching animation legacy concerns still exist (i.e. unnatural arm placements, missing the key "triangle" throwing motion, lack of tucking in the glove side arms resulting in a pterodactyl" effect, concurrent and unison torso and hip rotations, lack of independent hip rotation, missing anterior pelvic forward tilt, missing anterior angular front stretch and rear arm stretch, pitchers being too upright on follow through, etc.) I'll create a thread in the near future to address this concern with supporting graphics.
Oh, I would for sure still want quality guys if there were more than one commentary team.
but if I were to eat steak every single day for 162 days, bologna would actually hold appeal for me lol

A Work in Progress
Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #19
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainkarl76
There is still just a lot of dead air..Makes it kind of awkward..
That was one of the first things I thought when playing RttS. Still tons of dead air.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 0

Man, I swear some of you must not play NBA 2K past 1 game, because if you think that game is the best, you fooling yourselves. It is repetitive, has dead space as well and it has long drawn out stories in its commentary. Just face it, this will always and forever be a chink in the armor of sports games. The stuff is recorded. All those suggestions and you think they haven't been tried.

I feel they are on the right path, Harold and Dan brings great jargon and stories based on real world things that they have experienced and apply it to the game such as hitting, pitching even on blue.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:42 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidisback
Another thing is Harold Reynolds repeats the same word like 2 or 3 times when he's talking. When describing a home plate ump, he says repect 3 times. Other times he will say he swung hard or great play 2 or 3 times etc. Very odd.
He's being his natural self and it comes off as personable and not scripted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #22
MVP

Commentary from a video game perspective, main concern should be context and a variety of ways to explain the same information. Are you getting the correct information and is it in context? Does the delivery match the moment? Everything else is gravy i.e. Excitement, story telling act...
Old 04-14-2017, 03:54 PM   #23
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Harold Reynolds has added a lot to "The Show". It comes across as natural and not scripted. "Hall of Fame pitch HR, hall of fame pitch" "...is this a plate or a picnic table? He of course got ejected..." HR is pretty insightful with his commentary.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Harold Reynolds has added a lot to "The Show". It comes across as natural and not scripted. "Hall of Fame pitch HR, hall of fame pitch" "...is this a plate or a picnic table? He of course got ejected..." HR is pretty insightful with his commentary.
My only issue with him is he sounds a little too tired or laid back. In real games, he sounds more engaged. Not that it's a big issue or anything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »