Home

Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Slumps / Funks

Probably been discussed to death, but its a big part of Baseball and in turn a big part of The Show.

Now whether you are in a funk online, struggling to connect wood in RTTS or even slumping 1 thru 9 in your Franchise, it hurts and it gets to your mind.

Its just a game you may say and believe me I cannot believe how I get at times, but its like my controller becomes a lead weight, my fingers are stiff.... im not trusting the process as they say, in a bleedin' game!

This has come about due to my current situation in my franchise with the Dodgers. I expected a slow start which happened as we lost 3 of 4 against San Diego.

We then lost the opener in Colorado but bounced back with 2 wins on a combined 13 runs and 20 hits. All good you would think.... well >>>

Wrigley Field, of course its going to be tough at the Cubs but ive a lineup to feel good about. The opener we lose in extras, so that leaves a sour taste... 4 hits in 12 innings is a bit quiet as well. A day off is followed by another loss and just 4 more hits.... im feeling it a bit now, ive got the likes of Pederson, Forsythe and Gonzalez barely hitting over a buck.

The finale and we are 1 hit by Lackey, lose 10 zip and honestly the controller right now is giving me nightmares. Im in a slump, its not a long one and I fully expect at some point to burst out.... but its brutal falling into a rut where you are going into innings and not knowing if you are going to get a base runner, let alone a hit or even a run.

So this thread is for all of us to share a little of the load, discuss our funks and try to get out of it.

Brothers, the house is open
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Rookie

DeJohn11's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Slumps / Funks

I can feel the pain. My Buccos are off to a 6-10 start and its been a combo of poor pitching and poor offense. Neer have a felt cheated though. Tanaka took a no hitter into the 8th last night before Josh Bell hit a bomb to make it 2-1. He used his SPL and FB to perfection and I never had a chance.

Yanks get an insurance run in the 9th which would loom large as McCutchen was able to get a solo shot off of Chapman (I seriously told myself the next pitch I see near the heart of the plate to take a rip at and was able to catch up to a 100 mph fastball).

My biggest fear when it comes to slumps is feeling cheated, which thankfully I don't. Tanaka threw a great came painting corners and mixing up pitches. I popped a bunch up because my gameplan was to look down in the zone for that splitter. That gameplan didnt work which means I shouldn't be successful. Simple enough. Never had as much fun getting shutdown, though I have to say it still wasn't very fun, haha but not in a "I'm being cheated" kind of way.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Banned

CanOfCornCobb's Arena

20 games in and Braun is really struggling batting in the .230's, just 1HR and 2RBI. I decide to sit him for a game. The next game he goes 4for5 with a dinger and double. 1st AB in the next game he goes yuck again with another multihit effort. He seemingly can't get any hotter right now. Sometimes I'll go through and edit the equipment/accessories of guys that are struggling. It seems to at least help me mentally in these situations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-24-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
Rookie

robbyross77's Arena

I just had a whole team funk (Minus Kris Bryant). I was in the World Series vs the Astros. The entire playoffs I was tearing it up with the Cubs winning 3-0 in the NLDS then 3-1 in the NLCS. Game one of the series I win 4-1. Then game two Kris Bryant hits a solo bomb in the first and that was all the offense on both sides. I think we combined for 4 hits total. Then we went to game 3 and 4, I got about 6 hits and 1 one total. Then I guess there was another speech by Heyward because Game 5 and 6 I won pretty easily scoring more 7 in each game. Heck of a series. First time Ive ever been nervous in this game!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
MVP

SmooveMove's Arena

OVR: 4

Funny this thread would pop up when I came here to vent. I play with a fantasy drafted Mets team which evidently isn't all that different from the real life Mets. Great pitching, a lot of power, but not a lot of contact hitters and that leads to some extremely frustrating games, and a lot of swings a misses.

My team just lost 8 of their last ten and I'm at 35-38, so not all that bad at all, but the game I played yesterday was something else. I tied it up 4-4 in the top of the ninth with two outs. The game ended up going to the sixteenth inning. The other team had Tyler Clippard at almost 70 PITCHES and I still couldn't hit him. I ended up losing on a fly ball that my right fielder let glide by his glove. Drove me crazy. I put so much focus and attention in trying to win that game and it was all for nothing. That's what I love about this game though, it's baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

James Shields as been slumping all year for me. I think he's given up a HR every single game he's started so far. and sometimes at least 2 HR.

A Work in Progress
Old 04-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

#1 thing to remember ... It's just a game.
#2 thing to remember ... ANYTHING is possible in baseball.
So when I get in a funk and I lose a game after leading the whole game, I can't be frustrated for too long cause it's realistic and that's what we all want right?

When I carry my frustrations onto the next at-bat, I lose focus and swing at junk.
Even when I make perfect, and I mean perfect, contact and timing, I get out.
But it happens... every game, in real life.
I think we need to appreciate the success a little more in this game rather than complain about failing.

Baseball is difficult, period.

Last edited by TGov; 04-24-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #8
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Baseball: the only profession where you can fail 70% of the time and be considered a Hall of Famer.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »