Home

9-3 putout?

This is a discussion on 9-3 putout? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: 9-3 putout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
You missed what I meant. My point is that the reason right fielders don't throw to first in real life is because there is not enough time for that play.

In this game, there is. In some part, it's a combination of the RF positioned too close in, too close to the line, has the ability to sprint in at fast liners hit at them, and the grass friction may be too far off (ball travels too quickly on it). Those kinds of things would have to be addressed for it to not be an issue.

I don't want more throw-outs to first base. I just don't want there to be a cheat as if to say that the overarching problem is now "solved."
Ah, got it. My bad.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:49 AM   #18
MVP

prey2god's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
What is the cheat in this case? 9-3 is an exceedingly rare event in real life. I'd be very disappointed if it were a routine event in the game. First basemen are not taught to, in general, to cover first base on a ball hit to the outfield. It sounds like some have been able to get this play completed under some circumstances but if it were to be routine or even more frequent than that I would think it would start to ruin the experience.
This is true. But it does happen every once in awhile. Especially against a batter like David Ortiz who's slow as molasses on a hot Tuesday. As a matter of fact, I tried to play around with my formation with a slow left handed batter (I forgot who it was but his speed was like a 10), and shifted my Outfielders and my infielders accordingly.

Kept throwing cutters and sliders inside and got him to hit a one hopper down right field and still my first baseman is like derp.

I just can't.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #19
Pro

9-3 putout?

I couldn't find anything newer than this article from 2014, because that happened to be the year Dan Haren was thrown out at first twice. But between 1990 and 2014 the 9-3 putout happened 30 times, 21 of those pitchers. Even though its exceedingly rare, I think we don't see it more is because of respect, rather than opportunity.

This article has a link to a fangraphs article, which talks about 2000-early 2014, which has a link to a Baseball Prospectus article that covers 1990-2012.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...072934172.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020: 52-39

Last edited by Greencollarbaseball; 05-24-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #20
Rookie

CSUFresnoClassof2011's Arena

It would happens more often if the first baseman stayed on the bag for slower hitters. But they're usually off the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #21
Pro

raneman85's Arena

OVR: 6

I've done it a few times with the right fielder playing shallow. Usually pitcher is the batter. It depends on the reaction of the first baseman. Most often they aren't on the bag if you throw. It's not something I attempt to exploit.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »