Home

I almost never walk anybody...

This is a discussion on I almost never walk anybody... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
Do Your Job

TheBigTee's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: I almost never walk anybody...

I agree it all comes down to difficulty. I also find that I walk more people using quick counts than I used to. Sometimes you will get a good hitter and start out with a 3-1 or 2-0 count and the last thing you want to do is leave a fastball right over the middle of the plate. I'll try to paint a corner or get them to chase just off the plate but in some cases I find walking people to be better than the alternative.

I personally use Hall of Fame pitching, analog control, with no ball marker and no strike zone, but I agree use whichever method you like to play with and up the difficulty a notch (or you could try quick counts).
Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigTee
I agree it all comes down to difficulty. I also find that I walk more people using quick counts than I used to. Sometimes you will get a good hitter and start out with a 3-1 or 2-0 count and the last thing you want to do is leave a fastball right over the middle of the plate. I'll try to paint a corner or get them to chase just off the plate but in some cases I find walking people to be better than the alternative.

I personally use Hall of Fame pitching, analog control, with no ball marker and no strike zone, but I agree use whichever method you like to play with and up the difficulty a notch (or you could try quick counts).
I love quick counts for that too. Not only speeding the game up, but sometimes forcing me into 3-0 counts at the stat.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
I have a different idea -

Use whatever mechanic you want, but up the difficulty to Legend. Once you start getting bombed because you are in the strike zone too much you'll start throwing to the corners more.

If you are not walking guys on Legend and still having success, then you have effectively won the game.
Yeah I am on HOF and I walk plenty of batters (Currently using meter).. I pitch to corners etc.. and rarely give in and throw one (unless a mistake) in the heart.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiziv
Wow I have never heard of somebody using that. Seems beyond complicated and a bit unnecessary. Why not just use Classic pitching and utilize the timing that's involved with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I used classic pitching before Pure Analog came along but I don't remember much about it. Does the timing on classic pitching affect the pitch location? Can you use Pure Analog with it?

I always thought Classic Pitching was just pick a location, press a button and the computer decides where it goes.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #13
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

There are numerous threads on classic pitching but I don't know too many people who have tried it and gone back to any other method. The ratings matter more than the user input but that doesn't mean user input is nullified. It just means that u can place a pitch exactly where u want it (providing ur using the ball cursor) and it may miss it's mark by a little or a lot, depending on many factors.

There are so many guys on here who are amazing with the controls and virtually never miss a spot. Pitching is boring for them.

But, if u want that sweaty palms feeling of really being in the mound, of being frustrated that the FB ear marked for 8 inches off the black floated back in the zone and got crushed, then u want classic pitching.

Many believe it's the best way to demonstrate the differences between elite and average pitchers.

Try it without changing the level ur playing on and see how it feels.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #14
Pro

raneman85's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
Turn off the meter.

Well, you can't really turn it off but go to a custom pitching camera, change to the triangle shaped meter, resize it to as small as possible and then move it to the upper left corner of the screen. You may be tempted to look at the meter at first but the pie shaped meter is easier to ignore when you set it against the crowd than the colorful one.

It's great how the meter is timed so differently for every pitching motion. All you have to do is time it to the animation. I recommend the pure analog pitching. Once you start getting in a groove it really "feels" more like pitching to me and I hate staring at meters. I've been pitching this way ever since they introduced the pure analog mechanic.

You'll want to throw some warm-up pitches with your bullpen guys too just to get a feel. Just throw fastballs down the middle until you get their timing down.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Been doing this for years. I get OCD timing the meter. Plus you get to appreciate the various motions/deliveries.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Ok guys please help.....I have used analog pitching (wont change) for years. All star setting. I hardly walk anyone and I have pitch counts that are low...throw about 10-14 pitches an inning...If I up the difficulty to HOF or Legend what changes? Is it harder to hit corners? Also where do you go to resize the meter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree
There are numerous threads on classic pitching but I don't know too many people who have tried it and gone back to any other method. The ratings matter more than the user input but that doesn't mean user input is nullified. It just means that u can place a pitch exactly where u want it (providing ur using the ball cursor) and it may miss it's mark by a little or a lot, depending on many factors.

There are so many guys on here who are amazing with the controls and virtually never miss a spot. Pitching is boring for them.

But, if u want that sweaty palms feeling of really being in the mound, of being frustrated that the FB ear marked for 8 inches off the black floated back in the zone and got crushed, then u want classic pitching.

Many believe it's the best way to demonstrate the differences between elite and average pitchers.

Try it without changing the level ur playing on and see how it feels.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Operation Sports mobile app
But I get all that and actual user input with meterless pitching. The differences between a pitcher with command and one who is all over the place can definitely be felt. I find it's much more intense when you are in trouble late in the game and you lose your rhythm with meterless pitching.

I was a classic pitching guy up until 2011 or whenever they introduced pure analog. Pitching without the meter hits the sweet spot for how I like my sports games - no meters and stick input that mimics the action.

Some people like the 3 click method for golf games, some like the stick swinging, but I can't imagine preferring a method where I pick a target, press a button and just let my golfer's ratings dictate the shot. I also don't use real % in NBA 2k, which is probably the closest comparison to classic pitching in the Show. Your mileage may vary but that is one of the great things about the Show is that they've kept almost all the various control schemes they've introduced in the past.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »