Home

I almost never walk anybody...

This is a discussion on I almost never walk anybody... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: I almost never walk anybody...

I am using classic pitching for the first time and am really liking it so far.

I don't walk a whole lot of batters, but its definitely a little tougher than using metered pitching. I am only a few games into spring training however, so there's room for change.

My question is this...I am really happy on mostly default All Star (CPU foul frequency at 4) but I wouldn't mind a slight increase to the CPU offense. I still feel like I can pretty much keep the CPU in check with most of my pitching staff. I would like a few more hits and offense, but I don't want to sacrifice Ks in the process. My strikeouts of CPU hitters are just about perfect for me.

Does HOF pitching nerf the K's or just make it slightly more difficult? I have used All Star hitting and pitching for years, but historically my era is a bit low.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith05
Ok guys please help.....I have used analog pitching (wont change) for years. All star setting. I hardly walk anyone and I have pitch counts that are low...throw about 10-14 pitches an inning...If I up the difficulty to HOF or Legend what changes? Is it harder to hit corners? Also where do you go to resize the meter.
At the higher difficulty levels the AI gets better at laying off pitches outside the zone, mistake pitches are more likely to get punished, they're not as easily fooled on offspeed stuff.

To hide the meter:

1) Pick a custom pitching camera and set it to one of the behind the pitcher views.
2) Hit the triangle button to toggle to EDIT PITCH METER. Pick the pie shaped one as it can more easily be ignored
3) Use the L-stick to move the meter around on the screen. I think it's best to put it in upper left corner as far as it will go. It usually ends up right under the score bug
4) I believe L2 or R2 are the buttons to resize the meter so shrink it to as small as possible
5) Press X to save

I think there's an additional step once you get to the screen that shows all your cameras in order to save. Just make sure the listed pitching camera is your custom camera.

2)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djep
At the higher difficulty levels the AI gets better at laying off pitches outside the zone, mistake pitches are more likely to get punished, they're not as easily fooled on offspeed stuff.

To hide the meter:

1) Pick a custom pitching camera and set it to one of the behind the pitcher views.
2) Hit the triangle button to toggle to EDIT PITCH METER. Pick the pie shaped one as it can more easily be ignored
3) Use the L-stick to move the meter around on the screen. I think it's best to put it in upper left corner as far as it will go. It usually ends up right under the score bug
4) I believe L2 or R2 are the buttons to resize the meter so shrink it to as small as possible
5) Press X to save

I think there's an additional step once you get to the screen that shows all your cameras in order to save. Just make sure the listed pitching camera is your custom camera.

2)
Thank you!!!
Old 04-28-2017, 12:06 AM   #20
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm actually walking quite a bit of batters. I use analog pitching btw.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 PM   #21
Pro

rkocjay's Arena

OVR: 0

i use meter but i am coming to a problem where the timing is being a bit delayed and causing me to throw wild pitches

U mad Bro!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #22
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

In Tom Verducci's book, The Cubs Way, he describes the channels pitchers must command. Paraphrasing his explanation, channels are the approximate two baseball width of 6" placed on each side of the plate, 3" on/3" off. Some pitchers have dominant command of the pitching arm channel; some have dominant command of the glove side channel. Of course, channels exist on the top and bottom portions of the zone as well.

Apply the understanding of channels to your pitching approach. You never put the ball more than 3 inches on the plate for fear of solid contact. I find that on Veteran or even All Star difficulty, you can get away with missing channels more often than not. On HOF, not so much; On Legend, forget about it.

Now, if you just can't dig HOF or Legend, at least stay true, house rule the channel approach by refusing to pitch inside the channels with 2 or 3 balls. Believe me, you will start accruing walks and/or short outings.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:11 AM   #23
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Classic pitching, no ball marker, no hot cold zones on (I want to give the CPU a chance ). Quick counts on (love this feature).

This game requires you to pitch like they do in the big leagues. Up, down, in, out, balls out of the strike zone (CPU WILL swing at those). I have zero problems walking CPU batters. Couple that with the individual pitchers attributes, in game stamina, and confidence it's going to happen.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #24
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

All-star pitcher here, bumped my CPU solid hits up to 6 and my walks and pitch count have ballooned, because even that small change has made me fear the zone a lot more, especially when a good batter is at the plate. The black is still pretty safe but if I'm throwing a hittable pitch I better be throwing their timing off.

Still testing, might bump it up to 7 at some point. So far though I would highly recommend. It's crazy how much I'm walking the middle of orders now, whereas before I barely paid attention when they came up.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »