Home

Baseball Going Directly Through Bat??(Images Included)!

This is a discussion on Baseball Going Directly Through Bat??(Images Included)! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Draft Day Sports: College Basketball 2019 Review (PC)
Which Four Modern NFL Teams Would Dominate NFL Street?
How Kyler Murray’s Decision Impacts MLB The Show and Madden NFL 20

Old 07-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Baseball Going Directly Through Bat??(Images Included)!

Has anyone else experienced this? See images. Last night is what led me to write this post. I am at the plate top of the 9th, 2-1 count with two outs and Johnathan Villar is on 1st base.

Johnathan Villar takes off too steal second base. Fast ball is down the middle of the plate. I swing to put the ball into play. I miss and Johnathan Villar is thrown out at second base and we loose the game.

In my mind I know I hit the ball or made solid contact and I am thinking there is no way I missed it! So I go into replay and zoom in and sure enough the ball goes straight through my bat.

It's really disturbing because they talked about how the ball no longer comes off the bat as a flat wall surface and now with the new ball physics it supposed to reflect the actual rounded surface of a real Baseball Bat. So why does this happen?

The image below is from several occasions through out my Franchise in which I use a Created Player Lock.

Is this issue patch related?

Current Patch 1.09

Current Difficulty

Legend

Current Sliders

Hit Type

Happens with both Zone and Directional

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #2
Pro

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Baseball Going Directly Through Bat??(Images Included)!

Yikes. Haven't seen it. I've never really looked for it tho.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 07-29-2017, 02:55 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jada855
Has anyone else experienced this? See images. Last night is what led me to write this post. I am at the plate top of the 9th, 2-1 count with two outs and Johnathan Villar is on 1st base.

Johnathan Villar takes off too steal second base. Fast ball is down the middle of the plate. I swing to put the ball into play. I miss and Johnathan Villar is thrown out at second base and we loose the game.

In my mind I know I hit the ball or made solid contact and I am thinking there is no way I missed it! So I go into replay and zoom in and sure enough the ball goes straight through my bat.

It's really disturbing because they talked about how the ball no longer comes off the bat as a flat wall surface and now with the new ball physics it supposed to reflect the actual rounded surface of a real Baseball Bat. So why does this happen?

The image below is from several occasions through out my Franchise in which I use a Created Player Lock.

Is this issue patch related?

Current Patch 1.09

Current Difficulty

Legend

Current Sliders

Hit Type

Happens with both Zone and Directional

It happens. It also happened in 2016.

It's because the hitting (contact) part of the game is still not actually based on physics. That is to say, the reaction you get from the ball is not about the path of the bat through the zone (animation), it is about where the PCI is on the flat screen and how good your timing was.

Either your PCI placement was off or your timing was off. The combination of that plus the setting and sliders you play on and the skill level of the hitter resulted in a swing and miss.

Even if the animation shows contact, that is not the mechanic that determines the result. Similar to when base running and fielding animations have conflicts that cause a players arm to go through another's leg.

Once the ball is in the air (after contact) then real physics are used to determine flight path. The "round bat" explanation has to do with what happens to the ball after contact, not how the actual contact is made.

Others have explained it better, maybe do a search for more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwilli4

It's because the hitting (contact) part of the game is still not actually based on physics. That is to say, the reaction you get from the ball is not about the path of the bat through the zone (animation), it is about where the PCI is on the flat screen and how good your timing was.

Either your PCI placement was off or your timing was off. The combination of that plus the setting and sliders you play on and the skill level of the hitter resulted in a swing and miss.

Even if the animation shows contact, that is not the mechanic that determines the result. Similar to when base running and fielding animations have conflicts that cause a players arm to go through another's leg.

Once the ball is in the air (after contact) then real physics are used to determine flight path. The "round bat" explanation has to do with what happens to the ball after contact, not how the actual contact is made.

Yeah, that's a good explanation. I NEVER take the visuals of a sports game (talking replays here, which I think is at issue) at face value. I compare it to old RPG's where hidden dicerolls determined things and the graphics didn't always display accurately what was going on. "Hey, my elf hit him but I don't see little red numbers floating up from his head!" type of stuff.

A few years ago people would post Madden pics of balls going through hands/defenders/whatever, it's the same stuff pretty much.

In the coming years I'm sure replays will more accurately represent the actual result, but this is a "legacy" sports gaming "problem."
Old 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #5
Community Manager

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Guys -

After recording some gameplay and looking at it - this doesn't happen during gameplay. Looks to be an artifact that shows itself in replays.

My Twitter
My PARTNERED Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #6
Community Manager

Millennium's Arena

Quote:

This is 100% untrue.

My Twitter
Old 07-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
This is 100% untrue.

Can you explain then? I have read multiple times on this forum that the input that controls contact is the PCI on a flat plane, not the path of the bat through the zone.

I could be completely wrong or maybe I mis-understood those posts... if that's the case I'd love someone to correct me. It's not helpful to just say it's untrue.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:12 PM   #8
Community Manager

Millennium's Arena

Quote:
Can you explain then? I have read multiple times on this forum that the input that controls contact is the PCI on a flat plane, not the path of the bat through the zone.

I could be completely wrong or maybe I mis-understood those posts... if that's the case I'd love someone to correct me. It's not helpful to just say it's untrue.

That was previous to this year. The round bat physics are new to the game this year and affect in game gameplay including bat to ball contact.

My Twitter

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »