Home

Franchise Analytics

This is a discussion on Franchise Analytics within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
Franchise Analytics

After playing this game clear back from the 989 days on the PS1, I have decided to commit myself to completing an entire season (and beyond hopefully) game by game in Franchise Mode. Why has it taken me so so long? Who knows, seemed like the time to try it.

What is hindering me from truly immersing myself in this endeavor is the lack of access to the trends of player performance.

Hopefully I am missing something, but without this analytical access, the game is simply an arcade game, not a true simulation.

I would appreciate the thoughts from the franchise vets on this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Franchise Analytics

Well it'd be nice to have every stat known to men accessible but that just isn't possible current gen. I don't see how vets of the game can really help with that, everyone has access to the same stuff. If you want help getting immersed in franchise, I think the game has enough variation in outcomes and enough stats to feel sim, of course there's room for improvement. But nobody can really make the game more than what it is. Usually you dont really have to make subjective decisions, based on personel, how to set your lineup etc. The player ratings are right there unlike rl. That's usually enough info to reach a decision you're happy with.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

I wasn't asking every stat known to man, just the access to certain types of stats: performance over a certain timeframe, etc. That's all.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 0

Well they do have that like during batter walkups if a player has been performing well/poorly recently. And sometimes now they will tell you how a player has fared in a particular pitching matchup, not something you can control tho.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
I wasn't asking every stat known to man, just the access to certain types of stats: performance over a certain timeframe, etc. That's all.

If you're talking about the ability to view a players stats over like the last 10 games there is no where to view them. They are talked about randomly during any given at bat for a player but nothing the user can view at their discretion

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker

What is hindering me from truly immersing myself in this endeavor is the lack of access to the trends of player performance.

Hopefully I am missing something, but without this analytical access, the game is simply an arcade game, not a true simulation.
and if you kept track of every players performance via a spreadsheet and were able to view any given players performance over say, his last 10 games, that would make it more akin to true sim?

A Work in Progress
Old 10-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
and if you kept track of every players performance via a spreadsheet and were able to view any given players performance over say, his last 10 games, that would make it more akin to true sim?
I have a spiral notebook of every franchise I have ever played since 07 with all of the info, stats, notes, trades, players from every game, series, year of franchise I have played. Well except 17 because I bailed on it. So now I am on my 3rd notebook for 16.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
Atlanta Black Sox

xNobleEaglex's Arena

OVR: 9

I keep Excel spreadsheets that track a lot of different statistics, and it's very easy to figure out trends and "Past 10 games" type stats if you know your way around Excel a little bit. Looking back, it's amazing to see how my spreadsheets have evolved with each iteration of The Show, becoming more robust and providing more information with each year. It takes a little more time of course, imputing box scores and other stats after each game, but it definitely gives me the "true simulation" feel that you mention.

My main wishlist item for future MLB the Show versions is the ability to download an Excel sheet of my franchise stats to get even more information that I can analyze.

PSN: xNobleEaglex

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »