Home

My Final Take on MLB The Show 17 - from a Critical Standpoint

This is a discussion on My Final Take on MLB The Show 17 - from a Critical Standpoint within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #17
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: My Final Take on MLB The Show 17 - from a Critical Standpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
This game was terrible this year. Real problem when it's better to be late on an inside fastball than right on.
if you are right on it meaning you got the pci straight on it you are basically telling your batter to push the ball off the bat. when you get the pci straight on it that means your bat made contact with the ball while the bat was over the plate but not when the bat was out in front of the player which is why you didn't pull it with any authority.

Guys, think about how a bat is swung. A good swing will eventually be out in front of a batter on the inner half of the plate but OUT in front which is where you want the bat to be to pull a fastball.

The PCI merely represents where the sweet spot crossed the plate meaning if you leave the pci in the middle and simply just try to match the plane of the pitch eventually it will reach that inside pitch but out in front of his body. You may have to swing early but that makes sense anyway for inside heat.

Use swing influence as well to change your batters swing path which can be used for zone / buttons as well and this will decide where you need to place your pci and will determine where you need to put your pci to pull a pitch. NOT TALKING ABOUT DIRECTIONAL. I've pulled pitches and the visual feedback showed the pci to be at least a balls length from the pci! But I was early and stayed inside the ball.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
MVP

redsfan4life's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPowderDownLoL
if you are right on it meaning you got the pci straight on it you are basically telling your batter to push the ball off the bat. when you get the pci straight on it that means your bat made contact with the ball while the bat was over the plate but not when the bat was out in front of the player which is why you didn't pull it with any authority.

Guys, think about how a bat is swung. A good swing will eventually be out in front of a batter on the inner half of the plate but OUT in front which is where you want the bat to be to pull a fastball.

The PCI merely represents where the sweet spot crossed the plate meaning if you leave the pci in the middle and simply just try to match the plane of the pitch eventually it will reach that inside pitch but out in front of his body. You may have to swing early but that makes sense anyway for inside heat.

Use swing influence as well to change your batters swing path which can be used for zone / buttons as well and this will decide where you need to place your pci and will determine where you need to put your pci to pull a pitch. NOT TALKING ABOUT DIRECTIONAL. I've pulled pitches and the visual feedback showed the pci to be at least a balls length from the pci! But I was early and stayed inside the ball.
Well you can't hit an inside pitch AT ALL with early timing or its going 10,000 feet foul. Face it hitting sucked this year. The only hits you can get with early timing are on outside pitches...which makes NO sense. This game is garbage competitively (online) after being rock solid for years. Last year was a massive step back, and one they need to address quickly.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Rookie

yes you can you just need to get your pci outside of the pitch! i've done it online on legend with a pitcher for heavens sake! fastball!

go to hitting practise, change the pitchers pitch repetoire to fastball, sinker, two seam fastball. make them all the same speed. and turn down the movement then go into practise with bat control and leave your pci in the middle and you will hit that inside pitch while its out in front of your batter and you will pull it fair if done right.

the reason people aren't pulling that pitch with authority using zone is because they are putting their pci right on the inside and even though they are squaring it up the bat is not out in front of the player so basically you are trying to push the ball out which is not realistic therefore people are getting line drives to opposite field and pop ups and that is realistic.

the batters sweet spot doesn't cross one single location, the pci records that sweet spot as it is crossing the plate but not where the bat makes contact with the ball which is why sometimes you crush pitches and the pci isn't even on the ball! Think you guys instead of complaining about the game. Its you not the game! SDS has done a great job with hitting this year. I don't even own the game or system and i've figured it out.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
yes you can you just need to get your pci outside of the pitch! i've done it online on legend with a pitcher for heavens sake! fastball!

go to hitting practise, change the pitchers pitch repetoire to fastball, sinker, two seam fastball. make them all the same speed. and turn down the movement then go into practise with bat control and leave your pci in the middle and you will hit that inside pitch while its out in front of your batter and you will pull it fair if done right.

the reason people aren't pulling that pitch with authority using zone is because they are putting their pci right on the inside and even though they are squaring it up the bat is not out in front of the player so basically you are trying to push the ball out which is not realistic therefore people are getting line drives to opposite field and pop ups and that is realistic.

the batters sweet spot doesn't cross one single location, the pci records that sweet spot as it is crossing the plate but not where the bat makes contact with the ball which is why sometimes you crush pitches and the pci isn't even on the ball! Think you guys instead of complaining about the game. Its you not the game! SDS has done a great job with hitting this year. I don't even own the game or system and i've figured it out.
I think you are totally over-analyzing the hitting mechanic of this game. The developers have specifically stated that the PCI is a ZONE. Not once have they ever mentioned anything about what you said. Fact of the matter is that if an inside fastball is thrown and my PCI is on the inside of the plate and my timing says good, I am assuming that means my sweet spot is on the inside part of the plate at the right time, so the ball should be hit hard.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #21
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

The difficulty issue does really bother me. I want the CPU to use the best pitching logic possible regardless of whether I play on Veteran or All Star. On All Star, I feel like the PCI is often too small for me, so I feel like I need to switch to Veteran, but then the CPU logic becomes awful. There really needs to be a separate slider that adjusts the PCI size regardless of other difficulty settings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I think you are totally over-analyzing the hitting mechanic of this game. The developers have specifically stated that the PCI is a ZONE. Not once have they ever mentioned anything about what you said. Fact of the matter is that if an inside fastball is thrown and my PCI is on the inside of the plate and my timing says good, I am assuming that means my sweet spot is on the inside part of the plate at the right time, so the ball should be hit hard.

Russell has explained what determines a good hit including a variety of factors which ended up sounding exactly like my explanation of hitting for 16 on the show nation.

getting your pci to the inside doesn't mean you will hit the ball while it is out in front of you. it means your sweet spot will cross the back of the plate at that moment which means your bat angle will be pointing towards opposite field at contact or up the middle at best and if you are too early it will hit the end of the bat for a pop up or weak grounder but eventually your sweet spot will be out in front of you but on the inside part but OFF the plate.

go and swing a bat and tell me if your sweet spot stays over one part of the plate throughout the whole swing. if so you are doing it wrong!

i will give SDS credit for introducing a deep mechanic.
some of you are just too arrogant to figure it out and post after post its people whining about the same thing! "even if i get my pci right on its either a lazy pop fly or opposite field"
. BAT ANGLE. physics. damn. figure it folks.

"Never assume, when you assume you make an ******* out of yourself"

other than your hitting critique I actually agree with your post but for gods sake just try and test out my approach before SDS changes the mechanics and actually screws it up.

leave the pci in the middle. go to bat control. pick a pitcher and edit him so that he only has three fastballs and simply match the plane of the pitch and swing a little early on the inside heat and see what happens. no great hitter is pushing there bat straight through the zone.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 PM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Russell has explained what determines a good hit including a variety of factors which ended up sounding exactly like my explanation of hitting for 16 on the show nation.

getting your pci to the inside doesn't mean you will hit the ball while it is out in front of you. it means your sweet spot will cross the back of the plate at that moment which means your bat angle will be pointing towards opposite field at contact or up the middle at best and if you are too early it will hit the end of the bat for a pop up or weak grounder but eventually your sweet spot will be out in front of you but on the inside part but OFF the plate.

go and swing a bat and tell me if your sweet spot stays over one part of the plate throughout the whole swing. if so you are doing it wrong!

i will give SDS credit for introducing a deep mechanic.
some of you are just too arrogant to figure it out and post after post its people whining about the same thing! "even if i get my pci right on its either a lazy pop fly or opposite field"
. BAT ANGLE. physics. damn. figure it folks.

"Never assume, when you assume you make an ******* out of yourself"

other than your hitting critique I actually agree with your post but for gods sake just try and test out my approach before SDS changes the mechanics and actually screws it up.

leave the pci in the middle. go to bat control. pick a pitcher and edit him so that he only has three fastballs and simply match the plane of the pitch and swing a little early on the inside heat and see what happens. no great hitter is pushing there bat straight through the zone.
I understand your logic on inside pitches, but how about on pitches right down the middle where my pci is right on it and my swing timing is good? Should that not result in solid contact? If the pitch is down the middle and my pci is down the middle and my swing timing is good, then the sweet part of the bat should be reaching the ball at a very opportune time. And if that is so, then why do so many of these exact instances lead to shallow pop flies? If you can explain that to me rationally, perhaps I'll entertain your hypothesis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I understand your logic on inside pitches, but how about on pitches right down the middle where my pci is right on it and my swing timing is good? Should that not result in solid contact? If the pitch is down the middle and my pci is down the middle and my swing timing is good, then the sweet part of the bat should be reaching the ball at a very opportune time. And if that is so, then why do so many of these exact instances lead to shallow pop flies? If you can explain that to me rationally, perhaps I'll entertain your hypothesis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
well Russel did say the hitting mechanics mimic a round ball hitting a round bat .

things to consider are the height of the batter and the angle the pitch is coming in at. pull or push hitter? using contact or normal swing? pitch type? batter stance?

we gotta stop relying on the swing feedback timing aspect because I don't think it considers these things. in your case was it a lefty vs righty /vice versa or were hitter and pitcher same handedness?

again the location of the pci is not an indication of where the ball made contact with the bat. its the zone / the path your bat TOOK to the ball, or where it started its path to the ball.

Last edited by RockPowderDownLoL; 11-15-2017 at 08:55 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »