Home

Too many Double plays?

This is a discussion on Too many Double plays? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #9
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: Too many Double plays?

I tend to feel the show is double play heavy in frequency and in success of turning them. Feels like the game uses it as a balance tool more than anything.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #10
Banned

a bit outside's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
After my last game that went 15 innings and I grounded into 3 double plays, I have now hit into 48 double plays thru 61 games.
I am pretty much inline with that as well, I am averaging .7 double plays per game. With that being said, I do have the base runner speed increased because I thought 17 was a little to station to station on base hits and that has made runners go from first to third or second to home more.....so maybe that has lowered double plays some.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #11
Rookie

I forgot to mention, I play every game and have played a full season, and now into my second, still seems to be a point of frustration for me.

It feels like the game is slanted more towards low scoring games because of this, for me at least , this has been my experience. Regardless of how good my contact is.

Last edited by AncientDiety; 11-05-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I tend to feel the show is double play heavy in frequency and in success of turning them. Feels like the game uses it as a balance tool more than anything.
Yes exactly this...you put it way better than I did. It could just be total luck, but after playing 200 + games it sure feels like it to me. Maybe it's just my hitting tendencies.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:29 PM   #13
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Entirely too many double plays in the game (turned by the CPU against the user) despite what anyone will say or how they may justify it. The reason is because all fielders are gold glovers. I've seen it hundreds of times... a second baseman fields a ball deep in the hole to his left with a runner on first. While 95% of MLB fielders would take the out at first, in The Show every fielder will wheel and throw a perfect strike to the shortstop covering second who of course turns the double play. This is just one piece of the issue but if SCEA would simply code in making the second baseman taking the more realistic out, double plays would go down significantly.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 11-06-2017, 08:02 AM   #14
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnon39
Entirely too many double plays in the game (turned by the CPU against the user) despite what anyone will say or how they may justify it.
Who is justifying anything? I'm sharing my experience and providing the stats to back up my experience.

How many are too many?

I just played two straight games where I didn't hit into a single double play therefore bringing my numbers to 48 hit into in 63 games. That is right on MLB average for a team at the bottom of the ranking such as myself.

In 2017 the Royals hit into 160 double plays over the course of 162 games, nearly 1 per game (.98). The best team, the Padres hit into 99 over the course of 162 games, .61 per game.

The major league average was .78 per game (3,804 double plays hit into in 4,860 games total).

The major league average was .76 per game (3,719 double plays hit into in 4,856 games total) in 2016.

Thus far I'm hitting into .76 per game which is right about the league average for this past 2 MLB seasons.

So my experience is that the double plays are not excessive and are pretty much inline with what happens in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 11-06-2017 at 08:31 AM. Reason: forgot to add 2016 stats
Old 11-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #15
Pro

Herschie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
Entirely too many double plays in the game (turned by the CPU against the user) despite what anyone will say or how they may justify it. The reason is because all fielders are gold glovers. I've seen it hundreds of times... a second baseman fields a ball deep in the hole to his left with a runner on first. While 95% of MLB fielders would take the out at first, in The Show every fielder will wheel and throw a perfect strike to the shortstop covering second who of course turns the double play. This is just one piece of the issue but if SCEA would simply code in making the second baseman taking the more realistic out, double plays would go down significantly.
Yep. It's one thing when it's a tailor-made double play, it's quite another when it's constantly a spectacular play, or even worse, on a sacrifice bunt. Now often are they able to turn a 5-6-4 double play on a slow-rolling bunt? Even if they could, usually they take the sure out at first.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
You may have a point, on allstar and above they make diving and very hard plays way too frequently, even with crappy fielders, prob needs to be tweaked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »